Sleep with a fan at home - on cruise?

chitownGib

I think it's only me that is surprised, I will ask around!!

What are you so suprised about? That ppl NEED noise to sleep, or a fan? I have to have both,and 5 pillows too.:) and even then I dont sleep well. Im thinking the fan will take care of both sound and air circulation as well.

Honestly never had a clue this sort of thing went on, is it some sort of condition? it seems quite a common thing but everyone thinks it's just them.

No silly, it's not a condition.:)

23 1/2 years ago when we had 2 little ones, DH went on 3rd shift. In order for him to sleep during the day, and for the girls to behave like all toddlers do, he started to sleep with a fan. He got his rest and they got ot play, etc... Well, on the weekends we used it because he was used to the sound from his daytime sleeping, and before we knew it, we all liked sleeping with the fan. Nowadays, we don't hear our 2 labs if they get up in the middle of the night and walk on the hardwood floors and since his alarm goes off before mine, I don't notice it as much and get an extra hour or so of sleep. Having said all of that, we never use one when we travel since the noise from the cooling/heating unit is enough.

We just got back from a cruise and I recommend bringing a fan. You can hear people in the halls etc, and it really blocks out the noise. We did leave the balcony door open also. But glad we had the fan too.

Well, I have asked around & yes people do need noise to sleep....the right noise, I am so surprised by this, I had never heard of this at all. I know about "white noise'' headphones for 'planes etc but not just to sleep in a normal sitution. Ah well, we live & learn.

Ok, ok - I get that you don't get, think it's weird, etc - fine, all in good fun! But please please don't say we're not tired enough!! :eek: Have you never heard of a light sleeper? A mom? Really? C'mon - I'll put MY tired up against someone else anytime!

Ok, ok - I get that you don't get, think it's weird, etc - fine, all in good fun! But please please don't say we're not tired enough!! :eek: Have you never heard of a light sleeper? A mom? Really? C'mon - I'll put MY tired up against someone else anytime!

Well....no not really, if you are tired you go to sleep surely? what would people do if there were no machines or fans? get no sleep? People have said it's not an illness or condition so it must be habit, like having a light on or the door shut/open.

Yes, of course we go to sleep anyway if we don't have the white noise. But we just don't sleep as well because we get woken up very easily by any noise that arises (that the white noise would generally block out).

Yes, exactly - it is a habit we have developed to help us get a better sleep. We like to maintain that better sleep while we are away from home, but if we can't, we manage. That's all this is about.

Ok?

Well....no not really, if you are tired you go to sleep surely? what would people do if there were no machines or fans? get no sleep? People have said it's not an illness or condition so it must be habit, like having a light on or the door shut/open.

Actually, yes, we get no sleep! I have terrible insomnia...wake up multiple times a night and many times can't go back to sleep. I am exhausted a lot! And, yes, I'm exhausted when it's bedtime and still can't sleep through the night. It is a condition for some people! I am definitely thinking about trying one of these machines.

Actually, yes, we get no sleep! I have terrible insomnia...wake up multiple times a night and many times can't go back to sleep. I am exhausted a lot! And, yes, I'm exhausted when it's bedtime and still can't sleep through the night. It is a condition for some people! I am definitely thinking about trying one of these machines.

I am really sorry to hear this, but some say it's not an illness but a habit while others say it is in fact an illness or condition. I hope you all find a solution to this, I honestly had never heard of such a thing, but from someone like me who can sleep anywhere at any time I suppose it would seem unusual. I have trouble staying awake!! Has anyone sought medical treatment for this? has it got a name other than insomnia? it isn't an inability to sleep as such just not able to sleep without a low noise in the room.

I am really sorry to hear this, but some say it's not an illness but a habit while others say it is in fact an illness or condition. I hope you all find a solution to this, I honestly had never heard of such a thing, but from someone like me who can sleep anywhere at any time I suppose it would seem unusual. I have trouble staying awake!! Has anyone sought medical treatment for this? has it got a name other than insomnia? it isn't an inability to sleep as such just not able to sleep without a low noise in the room.

I'm quite heartened by this thread to see I am not alone. My husband is a heavy sleeper like you John, nothing will wake him up, and he can't fathom why I can sleep just like him. Like many others my light sleeping started when I became a mom. We are probably subconsciously keeping an ear out for our baby crying. My kids are 10 and 11 now and I still am a light sleeper. The right noise just helps to drown out unexpected noise that would normally wake you up. The alternative would be sleeping pills I suppose. Just think yourself blessed that you are a good sleeper. I am so envious of my husband who can fall asleep anywhere and within 30 seconds of his head hitting the pillow. He would probably sleep through an earthquake!:D

Well, for me its not a noise thing...I wake up regardless of fan or no fan. My point was some people have insomnia and wake up a lot or can't sleep no matter how tired they are. Couple that with being a light sleeper where any noise can wake you up and it's difficult. The fan and/or noise machine supposedly help people who wake up multiple times a night actually sleep through the night. Now, this isn't everyone...I'm speaking for myself and others who actually have sleep issues. I suppose this is why they have sleep centers and sleep studies...to figure out the root of the problem.

It is fascinating to read this thread, though...it looks like the people who need noise or don't sleep well on here are women (from what I can tell from the posts, user names, and the fact that people talked about their husbands sleeping through the night...) John (and believe me, I'm happy you can sleep!! lol) and everyone's husbands, plus my bf, all seem to sleep well...hmmmm ladies, why can't we sleep?? ;)

Well my husband may be in the minority, but he is a very light sleeper and cannot sleep without either a fan or white noise. We have been married for 15 years and he has always been this way, although I don't know if it is his habits rubbing off on me or having kids but I really don't sleep well either anymore without some kind of noise.

He tends to focus on any little noise and it drives him crazy - our beach vacation last summer he woke me up in the middle of the night because he insisted he heard water dripping. It turned out that there was a leak in the jacuzzi tub in the upstairs condo! I would have slept right through it if he would not have brought it to my attention:mad:

This was a great question as we were debating about packing our sound machine for our cruise. I think we will be bringing ours - it sure can't hurt, right? Heaven forbid if there are any water leaks.....at least I will be the first to know.....

No offence intended but our neighbour has a form of Aspergers(sp?) that entails him being very sensitive to noises, even those that others don't notice. By the way, my wife goes out like a light...literally..maybe that's why we only had the one child!!

Does it work for drowning out snoring? I have yet to find a remedy for that! ;)

I have your solution! For about 20 years, I've worn headphones at night and listen to either soothing music or books on CD. This works on several counts. I don't hear my DH's snores, and it drowns out all the other noises. It also works to keep my mind occupied until it gently falls asleep. If I wake during the night I turn it back on, and I'm back to sleep in a jiffy.

I wear the flat Sony Walkman type, and they are very comfy.

I can guarantee the snoring thing, as I've tested this on 2 different husbands LOL

B

I think my husband's issue might also have developed as a result of his profession. He is a firefighter and works 24hr shifts so when they sleep, they are constantly awakened by the dispatchers for all of their firehouses - he seems to sleep with one ear open. It won't be bad once our kids reach the teenage years. He has already warned them they will never be able to sneak in and out of the house without him hearing.

I do fall asleep very quick - sometimes before my head hits the pillow!! The issue is staying asleep. We are really looking forward to this cruise - our last was 13 years ago before my son was born and we both agreed we had never slept better with the rocking of the ship. We hope that hasn't changed!

I know this is an older thread,but Im lost! I too sleep with a box fan ,a celing fan,and a sound machine. The I need the white noise. But I also need AIR! Its all in my head,I know,but still. We arent in a balcony room. Ive been looking on WM.com and even walgreens this morning. I will be flying in,so I need one that is COMAPCT! Even if I have to put it together when I get to the cabin,I will. Can someone maybe post a link to ones they use? I'll need it for camping too. Will the batteries last for 5 nights if I just use it at night,or should I bring some rechargeable ones?

THANKS!!! The first camping trip is in mid April,and Id like to get it before then,so it can go "in the tub".with that stuff.

~Sarah

I found a small high speed compact fan at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. They have one sometimes at WM, and might try Target.

You can contact the special needs dept and request a fan. That way you don't have to bring one with you. The pursers desk has extension cords too! ;)

Count me among the ones who loves having a fan to sleep and found out the above information when I first traveled with my Mom who needed a fan due to breathing problems with high humidity. I am sure that if you ask and they have them available you can make arrangements to have one brought to your room!

Archived