Snowing on Oasis ---

debtmkr

Not really. It is the exhaust from the ship. Your suggestion would mean the engines could not run in the daytime.

I didnt see the part where the captain said it was the cooling of the stacks causing it.. I was talking if it was from them burning trash ect. sorry.

[The funnel is the exhaust for the diesel engines, and the ash comes from the cooling as explained in the video.

The thought that they would incinerate waste and let the ashes just blow out the funnel is unrealistic.

The funnels hold the exhaust pipes for all six diesel engines. two oil fired auxiliary boilers and the exhausts from the two garbage incinerators as well as numerous vents and air outlets from many tanks and equipment in the machinery spaces , e.g. Lo sumps , Fo tanks and Sewage treatment units as well as safety release lines from the Oil fired boilers and diesel exhaust gas economizers as well as the main comfort exhaust ventilation trunking for the main engine room.

The incinerators are three stage units and meet strict MARPOL certification (marine pollution which means that many other chemicals that would be permitted to be released from a land based plant are stopped) and any fly ash is trapped and collected in the second stage of the units and burnt off by a secondary burner. The main body of ash is collected in the primary combustion chamber where it is collected for landing ashore in a land fill. The ash is typically tested on a quarterly basis to ensure that it is proven to be non hazardous allowing the clean exhaust to be emitted from the top of the exhaust. In order to meet stringent upcoming pollution regulations RCI have decided to dry and incinerate the dried bio sludge from the advanced waste water treatment. Units Oasis is the first ship in the world cruise fleet to do this the rest of the RCI fleet is currently having technology investigated to see if retrofits are feasible with the different advanced waste water treatment plant and incinerators fitted. The company has taken the forward looking decision that discharging this stream to sea is not environmentally sensitive and dealing with it in this manner (as it is dealt with in the majority of shore based facilities) is a far better alternative.

• 1 month later...

Apparently it is carbon build up because the funnels are telescopic and the exhaust cools too fast causing the carbon to build up. Every once and awhile it will blow out chunks and it will rain carbon. The solution is to insulate the the funnels to keep the exhaust at a high temperature so the exhaust does not solidify and rain down on the aft of the ship. I believe they implemented this last week. If anyone is on a cruise after March 15 I would love feedback as to whether it was resolved. I have an ATS booked for June and I will cancel for sure if it is not...

Apparently it is carbon build up because the funnels are telescopic and the exhaust cools too fast causing the carbon to build up. Every once and awhile it will blow out chunks and it will rain carbon. The solution is to insulate the the funnels to keep the exhaust at a high temperature so the exhaust does not solidify and rain down on the aft of the ship. I believe they implemented this last week. If anyone is on a cruise after March 15 I would love feedback as to whether it was resolved. I have an ATS booked for June and I will cancel for sure if it is not...

It's been resolved.

You should not be too worried about the ash .I own a small fleet of Diesel dump trucks and in cooler weather they also tend to get some carbon build up and produce a oily sooty ash. I hope that it will fixed soon and if not I will just have to remember to take a towel to the aqua show and on my balcony.

Archived