Activities in Great Stirrup Cay

kayehmbee

I'm traveling on NCL's Jewel, departing on Feb 28 and working on planning activities for a group of 8 college students/young professionals. I understand that Great Stirrup Cay is NCL's private island, but is there anything else to do there besides lounge on the beach? We've already decided to do a "beach day" in Costa Maya at Maya Chan, so we were really hoping for a boat trip and snorkeling or something else a little more active. It seems like the only activities offered through the ship are parasailing and snorkle equipment rentals.

I've also heard that the beach at GSC can get very crowded and that chairs and umbrellas are hard to come by. Are there any outside vendors in the area? Anything else to do? Thanks for any info!

Just back last week from GSC. There really isn't anything else to do there, no outside vendors, other than rent snorkel equipment and parasail or go down the giant slide (both for a fee). There are volleyball courts, though, and they were popular. There was a tournament, too. The band plays all day and there is a free BBQ. Drinks are the same as on ship. There's a limbo contest and a few more games directed by Paul Baya, the CD.

It wasn't as crowded as I was led to believe. Maybe that was the late January date we went? Plenty of chairs to be had and snorkeling wasn't too crowded. Tenders got busy around 11 a.m. By 1:00, most of the older folks had already returned to the ship (if they even got off), though, so it was a younger crowd in the afternoon.

There are "umbrellas" (more those little pop up tent type) for rent, but there was plenty of shade via palm trees with hammocks and picnic tables, too.

Just back last week from GSC. There really isn't anything else to do there, no outside vendors, other than rent snorkel equipment and parasail or go down the giant slide (both for a fee). There are volleyball courts, though, and they were popular. There was a tournament, too. The band plays all day and there is a free BBQ. Drinks are the same as on ship. There's a limbo contest and a few more games directed by Paul Baya, the CD.

It wasn't as crowded as I was led to believe. Maybe that was the late January date we went? Plenty of chairs to be had and snorkeling wasn't too crowded. Tenders got busy around 11 a.m. By 1:00, most of the older folks had already returned to the ship (if they even got off), though, so it was a younger crowd in the afternoon.

There are "umbrellas" (more those little pop up tent type) for rent, but there was plenty of shade via palm trees with hammocks and picnic tables, too.

Thanks for the info! I guess I'll be a little disappointed with this port, I was hoping there might at least be some local shopping or something. Any info about the quality of snorkeling? Are there many fish and plants to see? Also, do you know if are you able to do it without paying if you have your own equipment? I'll probably just check with NCL on that one.

Great note about the shade, I am of the very pale variety and get cranky if I'm forced to sit in the sun all day without shade, and I'm sure by the time we get here (it's the last port for us), I'll be at least a bit sunburned. :o

Thanks for the info! I guess I'll be a little disappointed with this port, I was hoping there might at least be some local shopping or something. Any info about the quality of snorkeling? Are there many fish and plants to see? Also, do you know if are you able to do it without paying if you have your own equipment? I'll probably just check with NCL on that one.

Great note about the shade, I am of the very pale variety and get cranky if I'm forced to sit in the sun all day without shade, and I'm sure by the time we get here (it's the last port for us), I'll be at least a bit sunburned. :o

There is a very small straw market there, but nothing to get excited about. Snorkeling quality, I would call better than nothing. My snorkeling excursion in Freeport was canceled, so GSC was all I had, and I enjoyed it. But I wouldn't recommend it over taking an excursion elsewhere. Not too many plants, but a short ways out is a fast drop off, where larger fish hang around at. You can bring your own gear and snorkel for free. However, they require a vest. If you have everything besides a vest, you can rent a vest for about $5.00 on the island.

It wasn't as crowded as I was led to believe.

People tend to go off the deep end on a discussion board when describing such things. It can get crowded, but plenty of sand and water for everyone. And if you really hate crowds, go to the right (instead of left) when you get off the tender. That area isn't quite as nice as the main beach, but also doesn't many people either.

Will the water be warm in April at GSC?

Never been to the Carribean, are there many waves breaking at the shore?

How far out do you have to go to hit descent snorkeling?

I'm from So. Florida, and I don't "do" cold water. We went in April '09, and it was fine for me.

The beach at Great Stirrup Cay is a cove, and I don't recall much wave action at all.

A hundred yards or so straight out from the beach is where the drop off is, and where the better snorkeling is. But that's really not as far as it sounds. There is a long natural jetty to the right, so even though you're going 100 ft or more from the beach, the jetty is right there close by. And the water is shallow enough all the way out to the drop off so that you can stand. When you get there, you'll see the jetty to the right, and a huge rock/boulder straight out from the beach. That's where the better snorkeling is. Just before the drop off there are some rocks or perhaps coral on the bottom. If you hover over them for a short while, you'll start to notice some small plants and creatures that you would have missed if you just swam over.

BTW, there is a lifeguard at the end of the Jetty where the drop off is. So, you should be really safe.

We did a hike out to the lighthouse on GSC in January 2009. It's about 2 miles round trip on a well marked path. When you get off the tender the path is past the beach and hammocks, then to the left. There is a great opportunity to take a group picture with the ship in the background about 1/3 of a mile down the path. You will see the remnants of some old WWII buildings on the left. Just cut through there to the rocky area and you will see the ship. If you keep going past the light house you will get to a very tiny little beach. Nice views from there of another island. Not a lot of people hiked out there, but it was worth it to us.

DSC01224.jpg.951bcaf48861350d4f9536da286c8178.jpg

DSC01204.jpg.80af0c68c46eeee3225eed6192260b2b.jpg

I just got back from GSC. There was an external vendor there selling $30 "eco tours". No idea what it was beyond the name but it appeared to take people out on a speed boat somewhere.

I had no problems with the crowds at the beach. It wasn't any worse than the pool deck. I was on the island by 10:30am and walked right off the boat. Apparently if I'd been just a few min later I would have missed the tender (had to wait for the next) and been stuck in a crazy long line. Moral of the story get off the ship early.

I just got back from GSC. There was an external vendor there selling $30 "eco tours". No idea what it was beyond the name but it appeared to take people out on a speed boat somewhere.

I had no problems with the crowds at the beach. It wasn't any worse than the pool deck. I was on the island by 10:30am and walked right off the boat. Apparently if I'd been just a few min later I would have missed the tender (had to wait for the next) and been stuck in a crazy long line. Moral of the story get off the ship early.

Is any of the beach rocky or shelly?

The beach looked more rocky/shelly if you went to the right after getting off the tender. But that area was more of the "leave me alone, I don't care about the water" section. The left was mostly just sand. Getting into the water there is a very small section that had a bit of shell/rock debris but it only lasted 1-2 steps.

I'm a wuss and rarely walk around barefoot but had no problems doing so on the island.

Oh and the little tender boats had a water foot wash on them....so sandals is probably better than sneakers. Or just take your shoes/socks off before going through the wash. You'd be amazed at how many people just stared at the water and was like "uh I'm not going through that with my shoes on" instead of thinking "hey i should take my shoes off".

Archived