msc opera

happy to be sailing

Anyone sailed on her recently. We are on her in sept [ Amsterdam to Venice].How is the food these days. Some people in the past were not happy. Any other comments would be appreciated. Thanks

You caan apply that comment to any ship in the fleet at any time. It really is too subjective. Part of it is down to the food being prepared differently to North American (and British tastes). It is very much like you'd find in any restauarant in Italy. many complain it is too bland for their tastes (lacks salt/spice). I've personally enjoyed it on the whole and didn't notice much variance from ship to ship. The menus are pretty much the same regardless of the ship, as long as you are comparing a European sailings to a European and not to one in the caribbean.

the only thing i regularly thought not that great was the beef dishes. That is not to say that every one I had was bad but about half were a bit on the tough side.

Also note the Opera has no speciality restaurants, so its the buffet or MDR for breakfast and lunch and only MDR for dinner. You can also get continental breakfast (free) via room service and snacks the rest of the day via room service but they have a charge for that.

Anyone sailed on her recently. We are on her in sept [ Amsterdam to Venice].How is the food these days. Some people in the past were not happy. Any other comments would be appreciated. Thanks

We were on Opera last Oct, same cruise as Gelbel and had no complaints at all. If you do order something and are not happy with it they are only too willing to bring you something else of your choice. With all the selections on the menu you would be hard pressed not to find plenty you like.

Cheers & enjoy your cruise, Misty

• 1 month later...

I was on the Opera in September. We are both in our early 30's and it was our first cruise and we both really liked it. There was always something to choose when it came to meal time, the lunch was quite similar day to day though. I was really impressed with supper though, I could barely move after each evening. We did meet two ladies who had done a lot of cruising and they said the food was not nearly as good as other cruises they had taken.

We didn't take in much of the evening entertainment, I was so tired by the end of each day. The two nights we did go, I really liked it, at least after they got through with saying everything in 6 languages.

We were mostly on this cruise for relaxation when we weren't at port; and to see as much as each port we stopped at as possible and succeded with each. I can't wait to do another cruise. Good luck.

Archived