Carnival Valor Review - 10/1/10

Geek Squard

Excellent review. Have enjoyed it thoroghly with my coffee this morn. Thank you!! Love all the pics, although you could have posted more;) especially of that private island. Holy crap! What a fantastic excursion. I have never seen a review where someone did that. I might would be a little scaredy cat in the seaplane, and probably couldn't afford a tour like that, but the views....wow. Did you take any pics of the island you can post?

Also, we are gonna beach it at GC and was thinking of going to Calico Jacks which I noticed in your pics. You commented that you should have maybe gone somewhere else...can you elaborate?

Thanks again!!

Excellent review. Have enjoyed it thoroghly with my coffee this morn. Thank you!! Love all the pics, although you could have posted more;) especially of that private island. Holy crap! What a fantastic excursion. I have never seen a review where someone did that. I might would be a little scaredy cat in the seaplane, and probably couldn't afford a tour like that, but the views....wow. Did you take any pics of the island you can post?

Also, we are gonna beach it at GC and was thinking of going to Calico Jacks which I noticed in your pics. You commented that you should have maybe gone somewhere else...can you elaborate?

Thanks again!!

Let me see if I can dig some more pics out of the island. It was a splurge but totally worth it. We had a honeymoon registry so our family and friends were kind enough to generously donate to our vacation fund. As we are both on our 30's a honeymoon registry was a great idea for us; we have enough toasters already!

As for GC, we were dropped off at Calico Jacks and then walked back the way we came along the beach. If we went again (or is that when we go again :)) we would head back towards the port as there were plenty of open spots where you could lay your towels down and relax. We'd load up with what we needed and relax for the day. There are some deli/liquor stores across from the beach not too far from the Governors house where you could get stocked up. I believe the entire beach is public but someone else may be able to confirm this.

Let me see if I can dig some more pics out of the island. It was a splurge but totally worth it. We had a honeymoon registry so our family and friends were kind enough to generously donate to our vacation fund. As we are both on our 30's a honeymoon registry was a great idea for us; we have enough toasters already!

As for GC, we were dropped off at Calico Jacks and then walked back the way we came along the beach. If we went again (or is that when we go again :)) we would head back towards the port as there were plenty of open spots where you could lay your towels down and relax. We'd load up with what we needed and relax for the day. There are some deli/liquor stores across from the beach not too far from the Governors house where you could get stocked up. I believe the entire beach is public but someone else may be able to confirm this.

Thank you!! I would like to see the pictures too!! :D

Thank you so much. We are on the Valor Feb 7 from Ontario Canada, "Neighbours eh" and fly out of Detroit as well. We are taking a couple of days in the Keys first as my hubby likes to scuba he is anticipating the opportunity to dip his fins there first. I appreciate your review as it is getting very exciting. Carolyn

Hey There..loved "The Bar" how and where did you store the rum runner flasks?? and how and where did you bring the soda(pop) ?

My Hubbs and I were just married August and this is our "Belated Honeymoon" slash my sis's 40th, and my "ehem" 50th..we all do not want to go broke buying ship cocktails..my Hubbs drinks beer as well as liquor..any suggestions??

Thanks!!

Hey There..loved "The Bar" how and where did you store the rum runner flasks?? and how and where did you bring the soda(pop) ?

My Hubbs and I were just married August and this is our "Belated Honeymoon" slash my sis's 40th, and my "ehem" 50th..we all do not want to go broke buying ship cocktails..my Hubbs drinks beer as well as liquor..any suggestions??

Thanks!!

Hi,

We put our Rum Runners on plastic bags, wrapped them in clothing and put them in our checked bags. As for the soda, we put an empty duffel bag in one of our suitcases and when we were in Miami we bought the pop, put it in the duffel bag and checked it with the rest of our luggage.

As for beer, I have read that if you buy a case of soda and carefully undo the case you can replace the soda cans with beer cans and then glue the case shut again. Didn't try that myself.

HTH, enjoy your cruise!

Ditto the great review comments!

I see lots of good reviews of the Valor, might need to give it a try.

Did the seaplane not scare the crap out of you when you first saw it at the pier?

Thanks.

I wasn't scared when I saw the seaplane but have to admit to being a little nervous as we took to the air! It was such a thrill that any nerves soon vanished.

That was one of the best reviews I have heard,

and the pictures were GREAT... I bet it would be a blast to

be on vacation with a boat load of people like ya'll.. smiling all the time

and just having fun...

Thanks. We had been looking forward to this for so long I don't think that anything could have put a dampener on our excitement.

Now just figuring where to cruise to next! I'm hooked!!

Thanks for writing the review. Very well done. I have been on the valor in 2008, 2009, and headed back in May 2010.

It is a great ship and I love the western itinerary that it offers..........I wonder if I will get teary AGAIN when we walk on.

Glad you had fun

Great review

I booked a 7 day trip on the valor for the end of the month(2-28-10)

I just found your review and have informed my GF that we will be doing the same shore excurisons you did.

I never saw them on the list of things to do ,where did you come up with them?

This is our first Cruise so we are both clueless.

Any tips like bring our own sodas ,I see you had on sweatshirts???

thanks

Great review Geek Squard. I can't believe it took me so long to your review. I was bummed that we didn't get to meet you guys at the meet-n-greet. Maybe we should have used your carnation idea :rolleyes:. I remember seeing you 2 on the ship, but I never heard the accent :D. We enjoyed Margaritaville also. The stingrays being cancelled really threw me for a loop. Hope you guys had fun,

John

What a great review and pics!! Just got back the week after you and am posting a review also, but yours is AWESOME. I too, booked all our own excursions and had wonderful experiences. I would love to do the seaplane excursion and will be checking into that for the next time we are in Roatan.

There WILL be a next time. Thank you!

Awesome review. We haven't been on a cruise yet but your review painted a lovely picture. You have a wonderful talent for writing; concise yet descriptive and your sense of humor and adventure were clearly evident. The pictures were wonderful and illustrated some views that helped set the scene, so to speak. Well done!

Great review

I booked a 7 day trip on the valor for the end of the month(2-28-10)

I just found your review and have informed my GF that we will be doing the same shore excurisons you did.

I never saw them on the list of things to do ,where did you come up with them?

This is our first Cruise so we are both clueless.

Any tips like bring our own sodas ,I see you had on sweatshirts???

thanks

Our excursions were all booked independently; google Island Marketing and you'll get links to the excursions that they offer on each island.

We had sweatshirts on when we left. Record lows in Miami! Things got much warmer the further away we got from the US!!

As for tips, buy some soda locally and check it in. DW says she'll take her own hairdryer next time. I took a laptop (so I could transfer my pictures every day as I would have been heartbroken to lose any of them plus for movie watching on the plane), 2 cameras which I tried to keep charged full at all times. If you're 'electrical heavy' then it's worth taking a power strip as there's only one outlet in the room.

Have a great time! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Great review Geek Squard. I can't believe it took me so long to your review. I was bummed that we didn't get to meet you guys at the meet-n-greet. Maybe we should have used your carnation idea :rolleyes:. I remember seeing you 2 on the ship, but I never heard the accent :D. We enjoyed Margaritaville also. The stingrays being cancelled really threw me for a loop. Hope you guys had fun,

John

Likewise, sorry we missed you. We were thrown when it took so long to get on and got to the Lido a little late. Stringray cancellation was a bummer but is working in my favor as we're thinking of doing the same islands again on a different ship so we can make sure we get to do it! :)

Hope you guys had a great time

What a great review and pics!! Just got back the week after you and am posting a review also, but yours is AWESOME. I too, booked all our own excursions and had wonderful experiences. I would love to do the seaplane excursion and will be checking into that for the next time we are in Roatan.

There WILL be a next time. Thank you!

Thanks. I've been checking your review out too and it's great. Glad that everyone had a good time. Like you, there WILL be a next time!! :)

Archived