A few observations!

ncat

HA!!

What a funny thread.

C'mon guys' date=' smoking is a legal activity and until that changes, smokers have the same right to light up in a designated smoking area as you have to avoid said areas.

As for the moralizing about smoking dangers and blah, blah, blah.....remember....most people who smoke are adults and are fully capable of making choices for themselves about cigarettes.

There are ships where smoking is severely restricted to 1 or 2 outside areas remote from others... If you are sooooo rabidly opposed to the mere whiff of tobacco, try another cruise line.

As for a non-smoking vessel? Well, that's already been tried...and it was a complete flop. It operated for 6 years and fell far behind in expected revenue compared to other ships in the fleet. Remember, with cruise lines, it's all about the bottom line.....they would no more exclude a group of smokers than those who are severely obese.

Y'all need to get over yourselves.....choose another cruise company. Or, if you insist on staying with a line where the smoking policy is liberal, knock off the complaining.

Funny as you guys can be, you do get tiriing.....[/quote']

G'ma, I don't believe this thread was MEANT to be amusing; if you find it so maybe you should read it more carefully.

I don't disagree that you and others who have chosen to smoke (since it is legal), have the right to do so. Since there are smoking and non-smoking areas on the ship, I don't have a problem with knowing that there are some areas I will not be comfortable frequenting, and other areas you will not want to sit in without your smokes. In theory, the cruiseline is respecting both of us by providing these areas.

HOWEVER, the point I believe the OP and others are making, which I wholeheartedly agree with, is that when a non-smoking area is filled (we are not talking about a 'whiff') with smoke because of the close proximity of a smoking area with no separation of air flow, it is not truly a non-smoking section. So the cruiseline is NOT respecting our smoking preferences by providing a healthy space for us. Your right to smoke has now impinged on my right to breathe.

I am not sure why I should have to make a choice to select another cruiseline, when all it would take to make everybody comfortable is a minor amount of redesign. Especially with a brand new ship like the Oasis, they had the opportunity to take these concerns into consideration at the drawing board. So, sorry, I will not be 'knocking off the complaining' until I can enjoy sitting in a designated non-smoking area.

HA!!

Remember' date=' with cruise lines, it's all about the bottom line.....they would no more exclude a group of smokers than those who are severely obese.

.....[/quote']

What about obese smokers? So often in discussions here, some act as if ALL smokers are thin and that obese people and smokers are two entirely different categories of cruisers.

You can smoke on an ocean view balcony on both sides of the ship. I have a balcony and I love to go out there and have a glass of wine and a smoke before dinner. If my neighbors told me it bothered them then we work something out so I am not smoking when they are out on there balcony.

JHA

I wish all smokers were as considerate as you! Thanks!

What about obese smokers? So often in discussions here, some act as if ALL smokers are thin and that obese people and smokers are two entirely different categories of cruisers.

That reminds me of a few very large women who smoke outside our office building and they have said to me (and I quote) "I'd quit, but it keeps my weight down" - YIKES :eek: Don't get me wrong, they are very nice ladies and I am not saying there is ANYTHING wrong with being "well rounded" but it just makes me smile to think that they use that as their excuse to continue smoking :) When I smoked, I smoked because I liked it (well, okay, I was addicted) and I did pack on a few pounds when I quit but then I found that exercising was a WHOLE lot easier without tobacco. But again, I am not disrespecting anyone for their choices, just making an observation :D

Archived