Snorkeling Hawaii

Victress2007

There are so many choices I'm rather lost. We'll be going in late April on NCL. I figure 3 days should be plenty, right now I'm thinking Maui, Kona and Kauai. Does anyone have any "don't miss" places? We'll be going in a day or so early and staying in Honolulu. This is for snorkeling spots.

Thanks,

Vic

• 2 weeks later...

On Oahu (used to live there) go to the North Shore to Waialua and snorkel with the sea turtles (without touching or chasing them). They have bus tours that go there but you can also rent a car for the day and go on your own, that way you can stop at Waimea Bay; not great for snorkeling but beautiful! You may hear that Hanauma Bay is a "not to be missed spot" but it is usually overcrowded and the water gets murky because of those crowds. In Hawaii I snorkle anywhere the water is calm and there are rocks!

On Kauai, we drove all the way to the end of the road north, and snorkeled at the Ke'e Beach. It was pretty good, and free.

In Kona, there are several places for good diving/snorkeling. We didn't get to the K Bay there due to our port time. If you have enough time, go south to the K Bay.

In Oahu, yes the Hanauma Bay is over-rated. It has good scenery, and a good short movie presentation. But it gets very crowded as the day goes by. A lot of the people go there to learn snorkeling, and stand on the corals to kill them. Yes there is some fish, but for good snorkeling, Many other places are better.

In Maui, the Kannapali Beach north of Lahaina is good. But depends on the time you have in port, the road to Hana is such a beautiful drive. I'd rather spend time doing that.

I'm assuming you're on the POA...we rented cars in each port...In Kona Place of Refuge WAS THE BEST...park in the center next door pay the $5 and walk over ... one block. It's obvious. Take the ship excursion in Maui to Molikini Crater with Pacific Whale Foundation. Great day. Over all I thought the water in Hawaii was cooler than the Caribbean and we were in Hawaii in July. enjoy...Donna

• 3 months later...

Find the Black Rock near the Sheraton on Kaanapali beach. Fabulous snorkelling. GO IN THE MORNING! It gets very windy in the afternoon = waves = difficult to enter or exit.

Enjoy!

Archived