Los Angeles-Alaska- May 20th, 2005-Radisson-Mariner

Marpal

Hi,

This will be our 1st cruise, an early celebration of our 50th anniversary. Need some info about how many clothes to take and should they be winter or summer. I am planning that it will be fairly cool there but how do people dress on the Mariner (summer or winter clothes?) About how many different items can be hung in the closet? And if you have any other suggestions for us newbies, would appreciate it. We are so excited.

Martha

Take layers. We went last July and there were days we needed sweatshirt, jacket, hat and gloves, and there were days we could get som sun by the pool. Just be sure to take some rain gear. Alaska is country club casual, though most men take a jacket for dressier evenings. I was in jeans more than on any other cruise. You'll love Radisson!

Martha,

We went last June and it was very warm in the port towns along the Inside Passage. It was about 75 in Sitka and about 80 or more in Skagway and Juneau. That was probably warmer than normal, though. We wish we would have brought shorts but didn't.

I agree with Curiouscruiser and would recommend taking layers along, especially for the mornings on the ship when you are approaching Hubbard Glacier. It was very cold the closer we got to the glacier (We went up on top) and we put on long pants, t-shirts, sweaters/fleece and our rain jackets. We even put the hoods up as we got closer to the glacier. I wore a hat and mittens. Once we stopped, we shed most of the heavy stuff and were very comfortable without the jackets, etc. But it was sunny and about 75 out. It was a fantastic day!!

Prepare for rain - bring a lightweight packable rain jacket along to take into the ports if it is cloudy out.

Most people wore summer type clothes on the ship - as far as I could tell. For dinner, about half the women wore skirts and tops, or nice pants. Not necessary, but about half the men wore jackets without ties to Compass Rose each night. There are no formal nights in Alaska. Thank goodness!

The closets are nice walk ins with about 4 rods - tons of space to hang things and a decent number of hangers. About 5 large drawers inside the closet.

Overall I would take a mix of long sleeve and short sleeve tops for the daytime. A couple of cardigans and a rain jacket. Also one fleece top or sweater for the glacier day. Good walking shoes, etc.

Have a great time and ask more questions if you need more answers.

Ginny

Martha,

Our cruise was a mix of ages. There were about 20 to 25 kids on board from little ones to early teens. Lots of people between 50 and 70 or so. And lots in their 40's and 50's and of course, many in their 30's. From what I gather, Alaska in June draws a more diverse age group.

Also, there was a large group, about 200, winners from Ford aboard, and they were most in their 40's to 50's. They seemed pretty decent, in fact, we met a couple from the group on a few outings and they were very nice. Another smaller group from a tire company was not a real class act. Lots of party animals in their 20's and 30's. One of them made some real snide comments to Kenny Smiles one night but he got him back good.

As far as kids, not a problem. In fact, they had some activities just for them that they videoed and showed on the TV. Also, Alaska is so port intensive, you never really saw many kids. At the Compass Rose, we only saw a few of the kids, hardly any at all.

Ginny

Ginny, thank you again for your info. Kids are not a problem to me at all. And there are always going to be people, I am sure, that wouldn't be your choice to have aboard. I think I am ready to go, just have to wait for May 20th.

Martha

We were on a similar Radisson Alaska cruise last May. I had packed a down coat that I never needed, but I did wear a polartec jacket on the shore excursions and was glad I did. Also, pack a water proof hat so you don't have to mess with an umbrella while at the great stops on this wonderful cruise. It was never below 40, but some days were in the 50's. Anchorage was in the 70's, if your cruise gets up there.

There was a great range of clothing onboard, but primarily I saw spring clothes and colors. People did wear jeans for the shore excursions, especially the more strenuous ones. At dinner, most people cleaned up very well! And for the nights with the Captain's cocktail parties, everyone was pretty dressed up, including some glitter and glitz.

You will have a wonderful time, and let Radisson know about the anniversary (Congratulations by the way). We were celebrating our 30th and Radisson had a welcome basket in our room to go along with the complimentary chilled champagne.

Have fun.

Cathy

Ginny, thank you. I have been concerned about what to take as far as clothes so haven't concentrated on the excursions. With the help of everyone, the clothing problem is solved. We have started to look at the different excursions and so far the helicopter ride sounds wonderful. And today while at the book store, I saw that you can land on a glacier, and have a ride in a sled pulled by the sled dogs. I had not read about this before. Is this a excursion that you know of? Which ones would you recommend? My husband is a train enthusiast and know we will want to take a train trip. I need to become more familiar with the geography of Alaska also.

Martha

Hi Martha!

I was limping when were in Alaska (had left hip replacement scheduled for when we got back) so we didn't sign up for anything physical. I can definitely recommend the train ride in Skagway, though. It's an old but nice train that takes you up into the mountains - gorgeous views!! Great for taking photos.

We did the town tour with the Russian dancers in Sitka. Enjoyed it. Loved Sitka. Beautiful small town nestled between ice covered mountains. Lovely!! Great shops for Russian folk art.

We took Captain Larry's whale watching on our own in Juneau. Great fun. Only saw about 4 or 5 whales, but up close and personal.

Our ship had to bypass Ketchikan because of a problem with the propeller, so I guess we missed one of the nicest ports. We had booked a helicopter flight into the Misty Fjords - I am so dissappointed we missed it.

For sure take the ship's Tracey Arm excursion boat outing!! We didn't and heard it was wonderful. A smaller boat that went up to the shoreline Tracey Arm to see wildlife and glaciers up close. Very good reviews from others.

If you search on these boards, you will find tons of info on excursions with sled dogs and glacier landings.

Ginny

Again, thank you Ginny. You have been wonderful. I have done some research and will do much more before we go. But it is so nice to have some ideas as to the excursions that are recommended. I read that one person said to allow $1000. for the excursions and any misc spending. Does that sound high or low?

Martha

There is a huge contingency on this cruise from Ventura County since it was heavily advertised in the Ventura County Star and has been the only cruise ship to call at Port Hueneme (pronouced Y-Neem-E). I have some friends going on Mariner on this cruise. We went this itinerary on the Alaska Inaugrual and we are planning to do it again in 2006. It was wonderful!

The excursions in Alaska via RSSC are well priced, but, they are still more costly than you might pay in the Carribbean or Mexico. The Flight excursions - float plane and helicopter were particularly so - in 2001 they were $250 for the plane each and $125 for the helicopter which was a glorius 20 minutes to and from the glacier and 10 minutes on the glacier, but, breathtaking nonetheless. We are going back and will do it again. This time I want to sled dog - MUSH!!!!!:-)

This sailing is also being promoted by the New York Theater Guild for its Theater-at-Sea series. Many celebs will be aboard lecturing, including Patricia Neal, who we met last year on the Queen Mary 2. Do not miss her lecture! It's an amazing story. I know that Jerry Orbach was also to be aboard. Alas...

I love the theater and really looking forward to the entertainment and the lectures. And riding a sled might be something that a 70 year old lady should not consider but still want to. I think my husband will be using his video camera to catch this moment. LOL MUSH

I called RSSC today and they said the price for the helicopter and sledding was $419 last year per person. I am not sure how long the ride was and the time on the glacier. But since we will probably not have the opportunity again, want to do the things that will have wonderful memories.

Martha,

GO FOR IT!! Have a great time! Someone once told me that she only regrets things she DID NOT buy or did not do when on a vacation - she never regrets what she DID or bought. I apply that philosophy to many things now. Especially as I am maturing...ahem.

(In fact, I am thinking about starting a list of 100 things I want to do before I die. Ya just never know!)

You will have wonderful memories!

Ginny

Ginny, excellent ideas and a wonderful philosophy. In the last month a good friend was diagnosed with cancer and doesn't have long to live. It has really made me think.

Anyone going on this cruise on this board?

Take care

Martha

Archived