Car rental companies on sunday in st. John nb

On ships is going to be in St. John, New Brunswick on a Sunday from 10 am to 6pm in October. We am looking into renting a car for the day. I have discovered that isn't so easy. Enterprise is closed on Sunday. Avis closes at 2pm. Has anyone else run into this problem? Who did you rent from? Where were they located at? Were you able to use a rental office near the cruise dock or did you have to go to the airport to get & return the car??

I think we rented from enterprise, but can't remember. It was close (4 blocks or so) from the port. The were nice to deal with and there were quite a few people renting there from the ship. The other renters were closer to the port.

Avis is across the street and down 2 blocks from Marco Polo terminal. If you dock at Long Wharf, a shuttle will take you a stop across the street from AVIS. To see where you dock, look here:

http://www.cruisesaintjohn.com/visitsaintjohn/cruiseschedule.asp

I would suggest renting a car only if you are going to St. Martin's. If you are looking to just tour the city, a car is not practicle as you can walk to most atrractions or use the bus. Taxis are cheap too.

trophy 23 ----Enterprise is closed on Sunday & Avis closes a 2pm. That's what made me start this tread I need some other suggestions.

acey---I went to that web site to see what ships are in port for St. John.....Ours isn't listed!!!! We are on the Crown Princess and due to be in St. John on Sat. Oct. 3 from 10am to 6pm. The log shows the Caribbean Princess as being there on the day, but doesn't list the Crown. Maybe it's an error on the cruise port info....will have to check into this.

Yes we wanted to drive out to St. Martins and just "see" the area. I am trying to find out the tide schedule for that date. That might also effect our plans.

I understand that sorry I have a habit of rambling on. Anyways my point was there are multiple car rental places within walking distance of the ship. I wasn't impressed with the people at the Avis which is why we went further down the road. St Martin was nice we enjoyed it. Have a great time!! Not sure if you are going to PEI or not but we rented a car there as well and it was a great way to see many many places on the island.

Yes, we are going to PEI and have reserved a car there. Do you recall seeing a Budget Rental car site near the others? So far Avis is my only option. WE arrive at 10am. Avis closes at 2pm. Do you think that will give us enough time to drive out to St. Martin and the surrounding area? By the time we would get the car and get going it would likely be 10:30-10:45am.

trophy 23 ----Enterprise is closed on Sunday & Avis closes a 2pm. That's what made me start this tread I need some other suggestions.

acey---I went to that web site to see what ships are in port for St. John.....Ours isn't listed!!!! We are on the Crown Princess and due to be in St. John on Sat. Oct. 3 from 10am to 6pm. The log shows the Caribbean Princess as being there on the day, but doesn't list the Crown. Maybe it's an error on the cruise port info....will have to check into this.

Yes we wanted to drive out to St. Martins and just "see" the area. I am trying to find out the tide schedule for that date. That might also effect our plans.

Looks like an error on the website. Aside from AVIS and Enterprise, there are no other car rental agencies within walking distance of the port. There were a couple others; however they relocated. AVIS has a key drop and a parking lot across the street - I'm sure you can just use that service rather than trying to be back for 2:00PM. There are rental car agencies at the airport (which is on the way to St. Martin's) - you could cab it there and back - however it's about $30 each way. With $60 for cabs + cost of rental - buying an excursion from a local company like http://www.freedomtours.com/ becomes more attractive.

Archived