Use of CPAP machines on cruises

BucketlistJoes

We are cruising on the Island Princess at the end of March and I would like to know if others have used CPAP machines (for sleep apnea) in their cabins and if we can buy distilled water on the ship or if we can bring our own. We will have a mini-suite and wonder if I need a long extension cord to plug in the machine or if there is an outlet near the bed.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

We are cruising on the Island Princess at the end of March and I would like to know if others have used CPAP machines (for sleep apnea) in their cabins and if we can buy distilled water on the ship or if we can bring our own. We will have a mini-suite and wonder if I need a long extension cord to plug in the machine or if there is an outlet near the bed.

Lots of people use the CPAP machines while cruising. But yes, do bring an extension cord, as even if there are outlets, they seem always to be in the "wrong" place from where you need it.

As for distilled water: If you really do need that, you should contact the special needs department of Princess and request it. They'll provide it, for a fee. Or if you want to bring your own, you can. Some folks arrange to stop at a store on the way to the pier (a taxi driver will do that for you...for a price) to pick some up, rather than trying to tote it on a plane.

But check with your CPAP manufacturer. The ships water is pretty carefully purified, and many folks find it works just fine as it is, without having to have the distilled water.

If you go back to the main list of boards on here and scroll down towards the bottom, you'll find a category of "special cruising" (or something similar). There's a disabled cruising board there, where you'll find other folks who use these machines, who can tell you their experiences.

Some cruise lines will supply distilled water. Perusing their website, or sending an email from the website to their special needs folks should get you an answer. And you can certainly bring your own.

I would bring at least a 12ft light gauge extension cord.

Archived