Driving From FMB to POM on Superbowl Sunday

Blackwolf.

Hello all! Cruise day is rapidly approaching and I have one detail yet to iron out. Here is my question:

We will be traveling from Fort Myers Beach to the Port of Miami on the morning of the Superbowl. (Feb 7) We are looking to be at the Port by about 10:30 or so.

What would be our best route into the city from the west in order to avoid any "gridlock" associated with the game?

Mapquest suggests we take 75 to 441 and trip time is 2 hours and 40 minutes.

I wonder if we might be better off taking the Tamiami Trail /US-41 South into the City even if it normally takes longer then the 75 ~ 441 route?

Or do you think we will be early enough to avoid any traffic problems what-so-ever?

Any suggestions from the locals or others, in the know, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

I don't think you will have any significant issues eight hours or more before game time. Traffic will be much worse when the stadium empties all at once after the 4th quarter. If you have any anxiety, the Tamiami Trail route should see little traffic on Sunday morning. Downtown Miami (other than at the port itself) should also be quiet. Moreover, sellouts at Sun Life Stadium usually don't result in major traffic issues outside of the immediate area of the stadium.

Thank you for the feedback FLAHAM. Not being familiar with the normal traffic patterns in and around Miami, I though I'd better ask ahead of time to avoid any possible delays in route to the Port.

Being a "local" and being much more familiar with the area, which way would YOU go? ;)

p.s. we will have our GPS in the rental car.

I think I would take Tamiami Trail just to avoid any day-of-game special traffic patterns imposed north of the city by the police. I saw there were a couple today for the Pro Bowl, although I don't think there were any significant traffic tie-ups this morning.

What ship?

We'll be sailing on the Norwegian Dawn headed for a quick 5 nighter to the Western Caribbean. Grand Cayman and Cozumel with a couple of sea days thrown in.

We are coming down a few days early and staying in Tampa and Fort Myers Beach before getting on board Sunday morning for the cruise.

Thanks again for your advice.

I'm just back from a week-long cruise (also out of POM), and a week in Ft Myers Bch. I'd probably stick to freeways and toll highways...less likely they'll close them for Superbowl events. I'm not a local, but I'd probably take I-75, then the Florida Turnpike Holmwood Ext, then the Dolphin to access downtown...

Archived