Red October vs. Denrus/Early Admission

tone

First, thank you to all the posters on this thread. The information you provide is invaluable and is 100% better than what you get from Fodor or Frommers!

I am still trying to decide whether to go with Red October or Denrus. I know both are good but it appears to me that Red October has more "clout" and can offer early admission everywhere. For those who have booked with Denrus, do they also get early admission to all the palaces, Hermitage? It also appears that with Denrus, they start their tour later than Red October....does that mean that Red October has better ways to get you off the ship faster?

Some other questions:

1. Does the ship try to let their own tour excursion passengers off first (we will be travelling on the Star Princess)...anyone experience any delays in getting off the ship?

2. With Red October, I know they have their own store so does that mean they will not encourage you to shop in markets, street vendors?

3. On the 2 mornings, which sites should we go to first (ie. where is it most important to get early admission: Hermitage, Peterhof or Catherine's Palace). Since we only have 2 days, we will have to see one of the places in the afternoon, when presumably there will be bigger crowds.

4. For lunches, I have read the thread about bringing your own lunch....does Princess actually allow you to bring box lunches and do they pack these for you? For those who have had lunch in restaurants, is it quite quick or does it take up lots of time.

5. I have a 3 year old. Will it be difficult to steer my stroller around in the palaces, hermitage.

Sorry for all the questions but there is so much collective knowledge on this thread that I hope someone can help. Thanks for your answers in advance

Hi Tone

My experience is knowing DenRus personally and having talked to people who used R.O. and of course knowing a lot about St Petersburg:

1. Both agencies have agreements for early entrance to the major destinations and museums.

2. Red October has their own store so they are most interested you visiting it. Den Rus does not have a store but has visited all the shopping areas, markets and stores and can take visitors whereever they decide as a group. Personally I think the best shopping is in normal stores and markets, St Petersburg has very plush and very "authentic" open markets and everything in between so where you ought to go depends on your taste. Gostiny Dvor is a great starting point right in the heart of the city on Nevsky pr. built in the early half of the 1700s and better than ever now. One thing you will notice, many people dress really well, particularly young women and they have a lot of great styles to choose from. So if you are interested in non-souveniers, such as clothes or shoes, I can recommend a number of favorite shops It is much easier to find great shoes in SPb than in San Francisco for example. Women in St Petersburg take their shoes very serious even if it takes half the monthly salary to do it.

3 The Hermitage will have the largest crowds but its interior is emense so it handles large crowds well as long as you do not have to wait in the normal visitor lines(like I have to ;>( ) Entrance via the special tour entrance is fast for both companies....as well as other registered tour companies. Peterhof will be next crowded but 1/2 the visitors never go into the palaces but use the parks for strolling or even picnics out by the water..it is on the Gulf of Finland. The last time I was in Peterhof grounds, I spent all day and did not even get close to the Grand Palace enjoying the beautiful grounds. Pushkin(Catherine Palace also has emense gorgeous grounds that attract many visitors but a bit fewer than Peterhof. I think, personally, that Catherine Palace is the most beautiful palace in the world and I have seen many.

4. Both companies seem to be flexible on the topic of lunches. Red October offers box lunches fro $10 ea and Den Rus leaves it up to the visitors. Often they decide to dine in one of the fine hotel restaurants or cafes. Being as your visit is in the summer, some of the outdoor cafes or box lunches on a canal or river boat are attractive ideas.

5. The wheel size of the stroller will determine how easy it is to navigate the packed cinder walkways surrounding the palaces. None of the palaces have elevators open to the public but the staircases are broad and shallow step pitch so a light weight stroller should not be a problem. A young child is a bridge between Russians and you. Children are loved by all so smiles and friendly gestures or comments in Russian will greet you everywhere. Normally Russians do not smile unless something funny is said or done in which case they display great senses of humor. Americans tend to smile without cause which is not the norm around the world so foreigners have a hard time telling if you are really sincere or not but have gotten used the presence of smiles without aparent cause. But when a small child is present the most grizzled Seige Survivor will beam with Soviet era gold teeth and coo with delight in the presence of your child. Families are the CENTER of Russian life, often with 3 generations in each household by choice. You can always tell a young person who has parents and grandmother living at home, they are incedibly well mannered, happy and well adjusted. Little kids in Russia are generally very happy people.

Overall, whichever company you select will be fine, I doubt you will find any complaints about either, which is rare anywhere. Personally, I recommend Den Rus to my own friends because the I know the owner and staff personally and I can't think of nicer or more ethical business people than I've met anywhere.

Whatever you decide, you will have one lasting problem that afflicts visitors....longing to return to continue the discovery of this very accessable and grand city. When I visited often, people assumed that I had jet lag for several weeks after returning to San Francisco, another grand but much smaller and less grand city. It was not jet lag, it was depression and it would last until the jet lifted off from SFO for the next visit to SPb.

Have a great trip

Stan

I'll agree with most of Stan's points so won't reiterate.

Other points:

We were on Princess and no problem taking lunch off the ship.

We were with Red October. You have to stop at their store to pay your bill and sure they'd like you to shop. I found their prices to be about the same as the flea market outside Chuch of spilled blood. However, the beauty of a small group is YOU determine how much time to spend in everyplace. Should you only want to walk in the RO store, pay you bill have a cup of free coffee and a piece of chocolate and then leave immediately, then do so. There's no pressure, your guide will be waiting to take you away whenever you're ready.

We had additional time because we cut short some garden walks, so I asked to go to a supemarket. I've been before but knew that my friends, being on their first visit to Russia, would love that. Our guide happily obliged and took us to one and helped us do some shopping for cookies and chocolates to take home.

I'll disagree with Stan about womens shoes in Russia. We went to a mall where Russians shop (our well dressed guide liked to shop there) and I thought the shoes were not very attractive. Sure personal choice, but while you hear raves about shoes from Italy and Spain, you really don't hear that in reference to Russia. <g>

Let Denrus or RO plan the days. They'll make sure you get to see "the list". Just modify it by the small stuff - for example, we wanted the grocery store, walk the Nevksy Provsky and to visit the synagogue, so we did. Others wanted to see the St. P subway. I've spent enough time in the Moscow subway and our travelling companions had no interest, so it wasn't on our list. Let them know and they'll make sure it happens. Both companies are excellent. The smaller your group, the more flexibility you'll have. We travelled as a group of 4 and it was perfect for us.

Jane

Archived