Mazatlan - half day by myself (with Dad)?

fgrsk8r

Hi there again - as our cruise is getting closer I am still undecided about Mazatlan. I booked an all day excursion for PV and we'll just stay on the ship in Cabo, but I'd love to just walk around in Mazatlan with my Dad (Mom can't walk much and for a long time).

How difficult is it to just get a cab once we get off the ship and how far is it into the center of town. Are there cute places to sit and have a cold Cerveca? Also - didn't someone mention free wifi in one of those restaurants (Shrimp place?).

My dad will be 70 so the PV catamaran excursion will be beach and excitement enough, and I'd like to see some cultural stuff, like churches, old town. I know there is a tour offered, but I really would just like to wander a little by ourselves. Anybody has done this before?

I looked through the boards and really couldn't find anything particular to answer my questions.

THANK YOU !!!!!

countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=fgrsk8r&date=3-13-2010&text=Mom, Dad and I&ship=Oosterdam

figuresk8r,

It is incredibly easy to get a taxi or the open air pulmonias in Mazatlan. They are waiting inside the port area for passengers and there are many of them. Be sure to agree on a fare up front. The downtown is maybe 25 minutes on foot or 10 by taxi. There is a pretty cathedral, a market several blocks behind the cathedral, and between the cathedral and the ship is a very pretty square with outdoor cafes where you can enjoy a beer. It's a real town, not all touristy, and I thought people were friendly there. I've always walked from the ship to downtown myself and enjoyed it.

smileycruiser2007

Thanks Smileycruiser - if it's that close to walk we may even just do that (exercise can't hurt right?).

But either way great advise and I think we'll enjoy the more leisure way of exploring Old Town. My dad doesn't speak english, so any tours that "talk about history" won't work anyway - so we might as well just do this one ourselves.

He has no idea ;-) big surprise for him!!

I would go outside the cruise terminal area to the street and book one of the pulmonerias (sp?) and have them take you to the opera house. It is off a square with a number of places to have a beer or lunch. You can also walk downtown (2-3 blocks from there). If you head toward the sea from the opera house you will go thru a really interesting old town area that is much like New Orleans in architecture.

Or, if you just want to kick back, I would take the little ferry boat ($1.50 RT) to Stone Island and veg out for the day eating, drinking and lounging on the beach at Victor's or Lety's.

Gary

Gary DM's post helped me remember some details. It;s the Angela Peralta Opera house and the pretty square with the outdoor cafes is called Plazuela Machado. It's close to the cathedral, which is very pretty.

There is a little cafe in the port area right when you walk out the terminal with $3 beers that we liked. Not fancy but no hiking from the ship either and we didn't have to worry about getting back.

His idea of going to Stone Island on your own is a really good idea too. Have a great time!

Thanks smiley and Gary - I noted this all down and will go with your suggestions. We are doing beach the day before in PV, so I don't think we'll do Stone Island that day - but who knows.

The Shrimp Restaurant someone mentioned.... is that the one with the free Wifi ? I'll have my iTouch with me and thought I could send a few text from there while enjoying a beer or Margarita ;-)

Archived