Salzburg or Cesky Krumlov?

Travelbyboat

We are booked for the Scenic Ruby river cruise in August from Amsterdam to Budapest. There is a choice of excursions from one of the stops in Linz: Salzburg full day excursion or a full day excursion to the medieval town of Cesky Krumlov in the Czech Republic. Can I get some opinions if you have been to both and which one you liked more. Thank you.

I have been to both of these towns and absolutely loved both of them. Salzburg is much larger than Cesky Krumlov. We took the Sound of Music tour which was really lovely but doubt you would have time if you are doing this as part of a cruise excursion. We were in both places via car so we were able to spend the night in both places and had plenty of time to explore. Personally, I would choose the one that is closest where you can spend the most time and get the most out of the excursion.

I have been to and stayed in both of these towns on a land based vacation. Cesky Krumlove is a very picturesque town. Lots of little shops and restaraunts. Salzburg is much larger town that offers a lot more to see. It depends on what you want to do. If you are just interested in walking around and enjoying a very cute little village then I would go to Cesky Krumlove. I recommend doing the Castle Tour there. I enjoyed Salzburg also and we took several tours there. The Sound of Music Tour, The Eagles Nest tour and the Saltmines and Also the Lakes and Mountain tour. The Lakes and Mountain Tour was by faar my favorite one. Awesome scenery! Not sure how much time you have there or what is offered. You will not go wrong with either one of the places.

Tough choice. I think a lot of it depends on which one you feel is the one you're least likely to be able to see in the future. If you will be able to be in Prague in the future, Cesky-Krumlov (C-K) is a popular day trip from there. I vote for you to visit C-K which I think is more exotic. It's an adventure to walk from the parking area through the grounds and path through the castle and then through the cobblestone streets and stairs and around the path of the river. If you have lunch on your own, there are neat restaurants with good Czech food that are not too expensive. Yes, the town is very popular and touristy, but like Rothenburg, of which C-K has been compared, they seem to pull it off.

Simple as this .

If you are entranced by all the Sound of Music "kitsch" thing then you do Salzburg.

If you want something really out of the box and absolutely stunning then you do Cesny Krumlov which was just wonderful . Largely a walking only old town hundreds of years old, that is a scenic delight . Moats, castles , lovely river and more . Great shopping too .

The two highlights of our 2009 River Cruise were (i) Cesny Krumlov and (ii) the Optional Evening Mozart/Strauss Concert at the Hoffburg Palace in Vienna.

Simple as this .

If you are entranced by all the Sound of Music "kitsch" thing then you do Salzburg.

If you want something really out of the box and absolutely stunning then you do Cesny Krumlov which was just wonderful . Largely a walking only old town hundreds of years old, that is a scenic delight . Moats, castles , lovely river and more . Great shopping too .

The two highlights of our 2009 River Cruise were (i) Cesny Krumlov and (ii) the Optional Evening Mozart/Strauss Concert at the Hoffburg Palace in Vienna.

Thanks for the info - we'll be in Linz in June on Uniworld. CK is not showing as an option yet but if offered, sounds good.

Vera

p.s. Are you on Sun Princess 1st October? We're on that cruise.

Archived