Photography Experts or Classes

cruisemama69

Does anyone know if they offer any type of photography tips or experts on the ships? Husband is a big photography buff and wondered if they might have someone doing talks on our cruise to Alaska on the Spirit in June.

thanks

We did an excursion on a Carnival Victory cruise to Canada a few years ago, that was billed as a "photographic tour of Nova Scotia, featuring a professional photographer who will help you improve your skills and answer your photography questions."

It turned out the "professional photographer" was a local freelancer who sold a few photos to the newspaper when he wasn't doing his other 4 odd jobs. The highlight of the tour was when he took us to a public beach at a lake in the park. Imagine this: tens of dozens of Nova Scotians, sitting in their teeny bikini's on the sandy shores of this brown lake when a bus full of American's with cameras suddenly show up. They must have thought we were a bunch of voyeristic perverts!

The "expert" did answer questions from the crowd, such as "how many pixels do I need," and "what's better, Canon or Nikon?"

If you want to go on a guided tour, go for it. Alaska is the most beautiful cruise I ever went on. But I'd take a very skeptical eye towards what anyone considers a "Professional Photographer." At minimum, don't expect Ansel Adams to meet you at the bus.

On the Valor a couple of weeks ago, there were no photography classes per se. However my wife would simply go to the photo area (where all the pics are posted) and ask the photographers questions. She just purchased a big ticket camera and is trying to figure out all the bells and whistles. There were two photographers in particular who were great. They spent alot of time explaining features on her camera and gave her tips and pointers. One even wrote out some notes for her.

They seemed to enjoy her asking their expertise.

Archived