What brand of scooter?

barberesr

I am starting up the process, which I have no idea yet, to buy a scooter for my husband. I want a lightweight, take apart scooter. I am sure that medicare will have certain brands that they will consider.

I need to know the best scooters to buy for easy traveling.

Thank you

I am starting up the process, which I have no idea yet, to buy a scooter for my husband. I want a lightweight, take apart scooter. I am sure that medicare will have certain brands that they will consider.

Thank you

Medicare has very strict regulations regarding qualifying for an electric scooter. Unless your husband is unable to walk, cannot operate a manual wheel chair and requires the use of electric wheel chair or scooter to sustain daily living within the walls of his home ( medicare care does not care about outdoors only if it needed to sustain daily living within your home ), medical will not help with reimbursement. Nor wil they reimburse for a portable travel scooter. This link just gives a brief over view of wha Medicare covers. http://www.medicare.gov/Publications/Pubs/pdf/11046.pd

There are far more criteria that must be met in order to be eligible for a scooter than this over view shows.

The first step in researching whether a wheelchair or scooter is needed, you need to begin by contacting your doctor and have the write a RX for a Physical Therapy and or Occupational Therapy accessment. Medicare will require this. No mobility equipment should ever be purchased, even without trying for Medicare reimbursement, without this type of accessment. More phyiscal harm could be caused by having the improper item.

I have a Pride Go-Go Travelers Elite Plus scooter. I really enjoy it. It breaks down into 4 pieces with none of them weighing more than 39 lbs. We have been able to get it easilly in the trunk of a Ford Fusion just as an example of how small this breaks down into.

I agree with xxoocruiser in the fact that it should be correctly fitted to the person and their needs. It may not be for everyone, but works well for my needs.

I have a Pride Go-Go Travelers Elite Plus scooter. I really enjoy it. It breaks down into 4 pieces with none of them weighing more than 39 lbs. We have been able to get it easilly in the trunk of a Ford Fusion just as an example of how small this breaks down into.

I agree with xxoocruiser in the fact that it should be correctly fitted to the person and their needs. It may not be for everyone, but works well for my needs.

I agree, my 13 year old son has this model. It is light and compact and fits nicely in the truck of our car. You can also change the color panels from a blue , silver ot red scooter...

He love this scooter!

Charleyann

It can be gate checked and it doesn't count towards your carryon or checked luggage count. It is transported for free. In fact I wouldn't recommend any other way.

One thing to note that a lot of people do not know is that the airline MUST return the scooter or wheelchair to you in the condition you left it for them. If the airline damages or breaks anything on the scooter, they have to pay for the repairs and for another rental while yours is being fixed. If it can't be fixed the airline MUST pay for a brand new one and not at a depreciated rate. If you bought your scooter 3 years ago and it cost you $500 then, but now a equivalent model costs $1500, it is the $1500 that they have to pay. Check out the TSA site for more info on what is the responsibility of the airline in regard to medical equipment, which is what a scooter is classified as.

I was just looking at what mine weighs today and with the battery, fully assembled it weighs 115.5 pounds. When broke down the heaviest piece weighs 39lbs (the rear wheel section).

Are you able to gate check this scooter or with the checked luggage?

I've gate checked it on Air Tran, Delta and Midwest. But I did have a bit of a problem with Delta when they refused to allow me to have the scooter during my layover in Detroit. They insisted that they had to check the scooter straight through to Milwaukee from Ft Lauderdale, so I was stuck in a wheelchair for the 2 hour layover. Not a nice experience.

I've gate checked it on Air Tran, Delta and Midwest. But I did have a bit of a problem with Delta when they refused to allow me to have the scooter during my layover in Detroit. They insisted that they had to check the scooter straight through to Milwaukee from Ft Lauderdale, so I was stuck in a wheelchair for the 2 hour layover. Not a nice experience.

Thanks. I think I may have deleted an email that was sent from you by mistake. If you could please contact me again.

Has anyone out there got or tried or seen a 'Luggie' scooter ? www.luggiescooter.com . It sort of folds up into the size of a small suitcase and can be pulled along like a wheeled case when not it use. They look perfect for a cruise, or any travels for that matter, but we are having a hard time finding one to try.

Has anyone out there got or tried or seen a 'Luggie' scooter ? www.luggiescooter.com . It sort of folds up into the size of a small suitcase and can be pulled along like a wheeled case when not it use. They look perfect for a cruise, or any travels for that matter, but we are having a hard time finding one to try.

Recently read a new article that was just introduced to the US Market this year (2010). The only well known USA dealer that I'm aware that has just started marketing it is 1800wheelschairs. Here's the link http://www.1800wheelchair.com/asp/view-product.asp?product_id=4241&s_cid=FROO_4241&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=ProductSearch&utm_term=4241 Becuase of it being very new you're probably not going to get any first hand user information.

Though it seems to be a very ingenious design it's durability has not yet been proven. At $2400.00 it's very expensive. The travel suit case is sold seperately fro $180.00

Thank you

I recommend going to a mobility store and trying different ones out. Many places let my mom take scooters home for a few days and try them. My mom tried many and looked for months before coming to a final decision.

Good luck.

I found a luggie scooter listed for $1999.99 at Heartland America. I like the idea of it being lightweight, with a flat place to put your feet. The seat looks adequate but my main concern is that where it folds it will wear out quicker. Anyone in the know about the foldables like the luggie?

Did it say that it went in reverse? or did you have to use your feet to back up?

I found a luggie scooter listed for $1999.99 at Heartland America. I like the idea of it being lightweight, with a flat place to put your feet. The seat looks adequate but my main concern is that where it folds it will wear out quicker. Anyone in the know about the foldables like the luggie?

Did it say that it went in reverse? or did you have to use your feet to back up?

As previously advised this has just been introduce into the USA in the past few weeks. At this time it seems to be only available through internet sales . Cannot locate any brick and motor retailers that are selling this item. Since it can't be test driven at this point from any local retailer it's going to be hard to get an user feed back until it's been out in the market some time. Really don't think the word is out on the luggie yet because of it being so knew. People are reluctant to purchase something this expensive that hasn't been evaluated yet. As far as reverse- you need to check the spec on their website.

If you're needing something with a flat foot bed and folds than also look at the Rascal folding scooters or the Easy Elite folding scooter from EV Rider.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Denise on this board, I bought the Travel Scoot for our recent cruise. It worked out beautifully. We're still in chilly Florida so I'm still using it. And, I've been able to fold it easily and lift it into the back of our rental minivan.

While in St. Maarten, and riding it on the boardwalk in town, a man stopped me who rents scooters on-line. He was very impressed and said he'd just bought some Travel Scoots for his company to rent! http://www.shipscooters.com.

It weighs 35 lbs. I believe.

Thanks to Denise on this board, I bought the Travel Scoot for our recent cruise. It worked out beautifully. We're still in chilly Florida so I'm still using it. And, I've been able to fold it easily and lift it into the back of our rental minivan.

While in St. Maarten, and riding it on the boardwalk in town, a man stopped me who rents scooters on-line. He was very impressed and said he'd just bought some Travel Scoots for his company to rent! www.shipscooters.com.

It weighs 35 lbs. I believe.

Hi Sheila

Sounds as though you ran into Don the owner of Shipsscooter.com. A few weeks ago I posted this information on the Forum. Since so many people are interested in the TravelScoot but are often reluctant to buy without trying it first.,Shipsscooter is a good way for someone to rent one for few days to try it out. This is the only company that is currently renting the travelscooter,.

Hi Sheila

Sounds as though you ran into Don the owner of Shipsscooter.com. A few weeks ago I posted this information on the Forum. Since so many people are interested in the TravelScoot but are often reluctant to buy without trying it first.,Shipsscooter is a good way for someone to rent one for few days to try it out. This is the only company that is currently renting the travelscooter,.

I believe that was his name. I have his card - here somewhere! We're still in FL, having stayed over in Naples since disembarking the Noordam earlier this week. Still scooting around...when I get home, I'll dig out his card. He was a very nice man. On the Oasis at the time, with his daughter.

Thank you

My Mother has a travel-worn but amazingly durable shoprider scootie, we bought on-line for about $500.00. From planetmobility.com its been on planes, trains and ships with no problems. fits thru a regular cabin door and is easy to fold for the car trunk. It even withstands the grandkids trying to do wheelies. sometimes its worth it to purchase one on your own for travel as medicare will probly give you the biggest ugliest scooter they can find!

We had a demo of the Luggie yesterday, husband loved it and we ordered one. It does reverse, there is a lever on each handle and you pull the right one to go forward and left to reverse. For anyone with no use in one hand you can do the same by pushing the lever on the opposite side. We thought it was excellent and certainly looks sturdy enough at the folding points and goes down to a lovely little package. It carried my husband (13 stone) up our steep driveway with no problem. He should get it next week and will take it on our next cruise in 4 weeks' time and will report how he gets on.

We had a demo of the Luggie yesterday, husband loved it and we ordered one. It does reverse, there is a lever on each handle and you pull the right one to go forward and left to reverse. For anyone with no use in one hand you can do the same by pushing the lever on the opposite side. We thought it was excellent and certainly looks sturdy enough at the folding points and goes down to a lovely little package. It carried my husband (13 stone) up our steep driveway with no problem. He should get it next week and will take it on our next cruise in 4 weeks' time and will report how he gets on.

What weight limits does it have for the person on it?

• 1 month later...

Just to report back, the Luggie fits easily thought a standard cabin door, once inside we folded it and kept it under the dressing table. On the plane we took the battery out and put it in my handbag to avoid any damage if they put Luggie in the hold, in fact we just carried it on and both times they let us put it in the wardrobe in business class (even though we were economy).

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen some outstandingly high prices for scooters. You have to research how much scooter you really need and where it is to be used. You see people in advertisments riding small Cadilacs with 4 wheels and if you buy a Cadilac you may pay your 20 percent portion of a Cadalac's price. My wife who has stability problems and needs to sit or lean on something after not too many steps decided a small scooter was fine to get her around. In researching on the internet I ran across the ZIPR 3 which only cost $580 (Which we paid) delivered in Jan of 2008. We have used it without any problems since then and have taken it on 2 cruises. It fits through the door on both HAL and NCL and at 19" it just squeeks by the bed to the back of the room. It comes with a cord long enough to reach the plug on the rooms desk for recharging. It doesn't have a very high ground clearance, but on board and if it's not cobble stones we usually do not have any problems bringing it on tours. At 95 pounds without the armrests it is light as scooters go. You can remove the battery 20 pounds and the seat another 30 pounds or so to be left with 40 pounds or so to lift into a cars trunk or in the back of an SUV where it fits.:)

Archived