Hotel help in LA

referee

We are going on the Mariner OTS this coming November 14. We plan on coming in a day before the cruise. Any recommendations for reasonably priced hotels. Do any of them offer a shuttle to the pier? Thanks

Your ship sails out of the San Pedro. Most people seem to stay in San Pedro at either the Crowne Plaza or the Doubletree. Both offer free shuttle service to the port.

We are staying at Doubletree next month. They say they offer free shuttle service to any destination in the local area (within five miles) while you are staying with them.

I can't give you price information because most people use Priceline and the final price is variable.

This thread has winning bid information for Priceline - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=412919&highlight=doubletree

Enjoy!

We stayed at the Doubtletree before our Mariner Cruise over Halloween. We didn't need the shuttle while we were there since we drove, but using the shuttle to / from the ship was certainly nice.

If they do shuttle you "anywhere within 5 miles" and you are wanting a good seafood dinner, ask them if they will take you to 22nd Street Landing. It is between the ship and the hotel, so it is close and the food is great (not to mention the view).

Have a great time....wish we were sailing on her again soon!

Hey guys..Thanks for the info. You caught me by surprise. What is San Pedro, and where is it in relation to LAX? Thanks

I believe Carnival sails out of Long Beach and all the other lines use the World Cruise Center located in the city of San Pedro. This link should take you to an aerial view of San Pedro with the center mark over the port- http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=33.7473232&lon=-118.2769203&z=13&l=0&m=b&search=Los%20Angeles%2C%20California

The port is located roughly 24 miles SSE of LAX.

Enjoy!

The Doubletree offers free parking for your cruise.

San Pedro is the "actual" City that the Mariner is docked at and where the Doubletree is. It is about 1/2 hour from LAX (a little longer if there is traffic).

I believe Carnival sails out of Long Beach and all the other lines use the World Cruise Center located in the city of San Pedro. This link should take you to an aerial view of San Pedro with the center mark over the port- http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=33.7473232&lon=-118.2769203&z=13&l=0&m=b&search=Los%20Angeles%2C%20California

The port is located roughly 24 miles SSE of LAX.

Enjoy!

As stated above, the Port of Long Beach serves Carnival, and the other cruiselines use the Port of Los Angeles, which is in San Pedro. SP is officially a part of the City of LA (some residents tried to join in the recession movement around 2001 or 2002...but weren't allowed to be on the ballot while Hollywood and the San Fernando Valley were in an unsuccessful bid to become independent).

There are two hotels that those on the Western Destinations board recommend: the Doubletree and the Crowne Plaza.

You will have to pay for a shuttle (like Supershuttle) or a taxi to get from the airport to these hotels. But you will be close to the port (you won't want to stay at an airport hotel).

I didn't realize MOS left from San Pedro not Long Beach. How far is San Pedro from Long Beach Airport? We were thinking of flying Jetblue into LB to avoid LAX and be closer to the airport when we disembark. Is LAX actually closer to the San Pedro pier than Long Beach Airport? Thanks!

I didn't realize MOS left from San Pedro not Long Beach. How far is San Pedro from Long Beach Airport? We were thinking of flying Jetblue into LB to avoid LAX and be closer to the airport when we disembark. Is LAX actually closer to the San Pedro pier than Long Beach Airport? Thanks!

Recap: All ships except Carnival (with some rare exceptions) cruise from the World Cruise Terminal in San Pedro. Carnival cruises from Long Beach. San Pedro is actually a neighborhood within the City of Los Angeles. Long Beach is a separate city. Both cities share a single very large harbor...San Pedro is the Western side of the harbor. Long Beach is the Eastern side of the harbor. The two cruise piers are roughly 6 to 7 miles apart.

The Mariner of the Seas sails from San Pedro.

LAX is 20 miles from the pier in Pedro. LGB (Long Beach Airport) is approximately 15 miles from the pier in Pedro. The time required to get from the pier to either airport is approximately the same...The big time difference is in getting THROUGH the airport. LGB is a SMALL airport and has very few flights to very few places at very few times. Lines for check in and security are short. LAX is one of the largest and busiest airports in the world...so check-in and security lines CAN be long (though not always). There are far more flights to more place and at more times. There are also many more cabs and shuttles. IOW, there are pluses and minuses to each airport. LGB is prefered by those intimidated by the size and activity at LAX. It is far less confusing and hectic. Of course, it's much harder to find nonstop flights to or from wherever you're going. If you've found good flights from LGB, you are lucky.

To the OP, both the Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree offer free shuttles to the pier...I like the CP's location...lots of good restaurants within just a block or two, very close to the pier, nice hotel...but you cannot go wrong with either...Don't stay anywhere else in San Pedro.

Good luck...

referee, even tough we live in So calif ( Riverside Co) we are 2 hrs from San Pedro or Los Angelas and if I need information for these areas I will come to Bruin. He is knowledgeable of the Los Angelas area. What is confusing to many outside Calif, is that there is Los Angelas the city then Los Angelas County which takes in many cites.

The Long Beach Airport is limited to 41 flights a day--LAX probably has more than that each hour.

Some posters have said that the Long Beach Hilton will provide a shuttle to the port in San Pedro--but I would call and confirm before booking there.

Archived