TravelGuard won't pay

rebar-art

I should probably post a thread like this one on every cruise board, travel blog, consumer site etc. Not only would this be servicey on my part, hopefully, a little lost revenue on their part.

I don't think the insurance company stiffed you. I think it's unfortunate circumstances that the airline doesn't fly any routes that you can use. You got all the compensation you were entitled to. It just sucks that it's not working out for you.

I'm sorry that you are having difficulty with Travel Guard. My TA explains to me every time that I must purchase a separate police for the cruise and a separate police for airfare if I buy those items independently from each other. For example, if I book air through the cruise line, I need ONE policy; if I don't book airfare through the cruise line, I need TWO policies. I've called Travel Guard and confirmed this each time prior to purchasing their insurance.

On another note, my sister became quite ill on a cruise a few years ago. The incident required a visit to the ships infirmary, complete with lab tests, IV's and medications. In all, the bill was just over $800. Upon returning home, my sister filed a claim and had a check for all of the expenses within 7 days.

Based on our experience with Travel Guard, I purchase their insurance each time I travel.

Hope things work out for you!

I'm sorry that you are having difficulty with Travel Guard. My TA explains to me every time that I must purchase a separate police for the cruise and a separate police for airfare if I buy those items independently from each other. For example, if I book air through the cruise line, I need ONE policy; if I don't book airfare through the cruise line, I need TWO policies. I've called Travel Guard and confirmed this each time prior to purchasing their insurance.

On another note, my sister became quite ill on a cruise a few years ago. The incident required a visit to the ships infirmary, complete with lab tests, IV's and medications. In all, the bill was just over $800. Upon returning home, my sister filed a claim and had a check for all of the expenses within 7 days.

Based on our experience with Travel Guard, I purchase their insurance each time I travel.

Hope things work out for you!

If you are purchasing cruise and air separately, you purchase one independent policy for both. That's why the applicaton forms asks for name of cruiseline.. and name of airline. Purchasing insurance through the cruiseline is not exactly what is called in the business.. a best practice.

At one point, one of the reps "suggested" that if I could only get my doctor to sign that I had sinus problems, diarrhea, or whatever "maybe" it would be easier to get my claim approved.

Extremely bad advice from the rep - that's called insurance fraud and it's seriously frowned upon by law enforcement, especially when there's a paper trail showing your initial claim, which was predicated on a cancellation by the cruise line, was previously denied.

I did not intend to start a year long discussion of splitting-hairs with them about the intricacies of my policy, which neither specifically includes or excludes the cruiseline's cancellation of my cruise. One aggravating factor was the number of different responses and explanations I received from them along with the assurance that my claim would, in fact, at some point, probably be paid.

They suggested that there was no reason for me not to go and make other arrangements for my accomodations. Had I not been travelling alone, I might have gone to NZ anyway, but with such late notice it would have been difficult to arrange a 2 week tour that began in Aukland and ended in Sydney for a single lady who has never been to that continent. Also, I had not yet been reimbursed by the cruiseline and my wallet is, alas, not a bottomless pit.

Basically, my Pollyanna belief all along was that I purchased an insurance policy from their company to cover any travel losses that I might incur resulting from my trip being cancelled through no fault of my own. I think it is ridiculous to argue that I should have booked an airfare that, in the unlikely event of such a cancellation, I could have used elsewhere upon taking another vacation within that year.

Forgive my rambling, venting, frustration filled diatribe.

Although my experience is different than yours it does involve Travelguard & British Airways. The airline lost my wheelchair somewhere between Miami and Rome & they have failed to respond to any correspondence except for the first email I sent them upon arriving home. The person responding said "she/he hoped that customer service would take care of my problem quickly." This was Dec. 15. Nothing since then & I have sent them several emails. I finally filed a claim with TG & at least they called me & had me fax them my entire portfolio of my trip. Any "analyst" called me to ask certain questions & I hope a resolution is forthcoming. I'm sure I will never see my chair again even though it was tagged & had extra luggage tags with our address & phone # affixed. Naturally, BA has lost me as a customer FOREVER! I was not going to go out of my way to expose their lack of caring on CC until I read your post. I will let you know the final outcome. BTW, I had to go out & pay for a new chair since I was homebound without one. I am ambulatory but just.

If anyone else has any advice I would gladly accept it. I m wondering if ADA would listen to me. The airline did place the chair in the hold & I thought they had to use the closet in case of emergency exiting.

Thanks for reading my post all who did. At least it made me feel better to get it out of my system.

Happy Cruising!

Faith

Although my experience is different than yours it does involve Travelguard & British Airways. The airline lost my wheelchair somewhere between Miami and Rome & they have failed to respond to any correspondence except for the first email I sent them upon arriving home. The person responding said "she/he hoped that customer service would take care of my problem quickly." This was Dec. 15. Nothing since then & I have sent them several emails. I finally filed a claim with TG & at least they called me & had me fax them my entire portfolio of my trip. Any "analyst" called me to ask certain questions & I hope a resolution is forthcoming. I'm sure I will never see my chair again even though it was tagged & had extra luggage tags with our address & phone # affixed. Naturally, BA has lost me as a customer FOREVER! I was not going to go out of my way to expose their lack of caring on CC until I read your post. I will let you know the final outcome. BTW, I had to go out & pay for a new chair since I was homebound without one. I am ambulatory but just.

If anyone else has any advice I would gladly accept it. I m wondering if ADA would listen to me. The airline did place the chair in the hold & I thought they had to use the closet in case of emergency exiting.

Thanks for reading my post all who did. At least it made me feel better to get it out of my system.

Happy Cruising!

Faith

Yikes! :( You might want to start this as a new thread over on the Disabled Travel board. Others there might be able to give you some insight.

Faith, is there any chance that the wheelchair would be covered by your homeowner's insurance?

Hope it gets resolved favorably

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I thought about that but my deductible is far more than the value of the chair! They have it all figured out, don't they?

Thanks for your solution, though! It took some thought, so it is appreciated!

Happy Cruising!

Faith

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Cruising!

Faith

I just wanted to let those who are involved with Travelguard Ins. that I received a check today in payment of the wheelchair that went missing "somewhere over the rainbow." Every penny I claimed was paid & I am very pleased with the service I received. I wish I could say the same for British Airways - one email & no other correspondence from them. I, of course will never fly with them again, nor will I recommend them. A different story on Travelguard! They were and are terrific!

Happy Cruising!

Faith

I just wanted to let those who are involved with Travelguard Ins. that I received a check today in payment of the wheelchair that went missing "somewhere over the rainbow." Every penny I claimed was paid & I am very pleased with the service I received. I wish I could say the same for British Airways - one email & no other correspondence from them. I, of course will never fly with them again, nor will I recommend them. A different story on Travelguard! They were and are terrific!

Happy Cruising!

Faith

Thank you for coming back and posting the resolution of the issue. I'm glad you got a good outcome. :)

Archived