Western Caribbean itinerary? Where's the best snorkeling?

JayByrd

Certainly either Cozumel or Grand Cayman. One factor that might determine what's best for you is if you're rather find a beach and snorkel from the shore, or go on an excursion and go off a boat.

My wife and I are going to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel on the Conquest in April? We'd like to so some snorkeling in at least one of those ports...where's the best snorkeling of the three?

My wife and I did a West Carribbean itinerary to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. I snorkeled at all of the stops except Belize. The best snorkeling was definitely at Roatan and Cozumel.

Grand Cayman was just ok, but that's probably because I was snorkeling from the beach, so I couldn't go far enough outt to see that much.

Roatan was fantastic, the water was extra clear and there was a huge reef and a ton of exotic fish. We snorkeled off of a catamaran though and were good distance from the shore.

Cozumel was great. We snorkeled off the beach, but our guide took us quite a distance from the shore. We saw a TON of fish, sea horses and even a stingray.

My wife and I did a West Carribbean itinerary to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. I snorkeled at all of the stops except Belize. The best snorkeling was definitely at Roatan and Cozumel.

Grand Cayman was just ok, but that's probably because I was snorkeling from the beach, so I couldn't go far enough outt to see that much.

Roatan was fantastic, the water was extra clear and there was a huge reef and a ton of exotic fish. We snorkeled off of a catamaran though and were good distance from the shore.

Cozumel was great. We snorkeled off the beach, but our guide took us quite a distance from the shore. We saw a TON of fish, sea horses and even a stingray.

Do you recall the name of the beach that you snorkeled from in Cozumel?

I came here with the exact same question. What about snorkling from Labadee? Is it any good there?

(Note, I have never ever snorkled before)

My two cents... snorkeling in Labadee stinks right now. Everything is covered with dust and dirt from where they built the pier. We were there in October and in addition to the dirt we saw a lot of trash... plastic drink bottles stuck in the coral.

We snorkled at Grand Cayman. We went to Cemetary Beach. It was a really nice secluded beach area and offered a great beach day for the kids and mother who sat in the shade and read. We went out pretty far... there are 2 reefs... we only went to the first and while it was nice and we seen lots of fish with the help of fruit loops... :eek:, it wasn't awesome. We should have went on out to the 2nd reef. There are several ships wrecks you can snorkel in Grand Cayman. Might be worth trying out. That's our plan next time.

MacSmooth who was you guide in Cozumel? Was this a tour?

Archived