Who goes first when boarding?

BucketlistJoes

So then there is some preference given to those that arrive first over those that arrive later.
Definitely. Here's the order of operations:

You arrive at the port.

First you'll drive up to the porter /luggage area and drop off your checked luggage. This can be a bit of a bottleneck area. Have all your suitcases ready to go before you arrive at the port -- there's no convenient place for you to do it at the port. Put on your locks, cable ties, luggage tags at the hotel. It'll help everyone if you pull up to the porters READY to toss your stuff out and keep moving.

If you're driving, then you'll go park your car /pay for parking. You can have one person do this while the others go get into line.

You'll go through security, which in most ports seems to be in a lower, ground-floor level. Your carry-ons'll be scanned, and you'll walk through a metal detector.

Once cleared by security, you go upstairs to check in (because this puts you at the right level to walk onboard the ship -- meanwhile, your luggage goes into the ground level and is boarded via a lower level door). Cruise lines divide things up differently, but it's usually by floors, so you might head to the desk area for the 9th and 10th floors. Suites may be in a separate area. I don't know. Regardless, at the check-in desk you'll show your identification, have your picture made, get your SeaPass, etc. If you've done the online check-in, this is FAST.

Personally, I've always arrived early (10:30-11:30), and I've never been in much of a line. I'd say I've never waited more for more than 2-3 groups ahead of me to check in. I believe the lines are probably worst 12:00-3:00 because that'd be around the time the planes land/transfers arrive. I strongly recommend that you do not wait 'til 2:00.

If you arrive before boarding begins (as I always have), you can either get in the line waiting eagerly for the door to open . . . or you can sit down in the chairs and wait. I have never been aware of a separate line for suite customers. Once the line starts moving, it moves FAST.

When the doors open, they take you first through a photograph area -- they push you to stop and have a photograph made, but this is up to you.

Before you board the ship, they scan your SeaPass so that you're officiallly "onboard". And you walk onboard.

I have only cruised twice so I really don't have much experience but both times I cruised Carnival. First time I cruised out of Ft Lauderdale and we were in a quonset type building in huge lines that took two hours to get through and onto the ship. Second cruise we cruised from Miami and got there about 11 am expecting huge lines and was pleasantly suprised when we found a beautiful air conditioned building with absolutely no lines, we were on the ship within 20 minutes and there was already at that time a few hundred people on board. What is the norm for check in and embarkation since I experienced two totally opposite processes? I am cruising Celebrity out of Ft Lauderdale in Aug 2010 and was wondering what to expect?

I'm going to concur with most of the others. Get there early and start your vacation!

We've only cruised twice so far, and each time was a totally different experience. 1st cruise out of Fort Lauderdale, we got there at 11:00 walked right in, were ushered to some chairs, sat there for 10-15 minutes, were told to get our boading passes out, got up, checked in, got our pics taken, and boarded the ship. All by 11:20. WooHoo!!! 2nd cruise out of San Juan, PR we got to the port at 11:00 and stood outside in the high humidity until 12:00!!! Part of our onboard entertainment for the week was Charo (stunning looking and and amazing performer!). We watched her walk past us @ 11:30, and imagine our surprise when the line started to move to see that she too, had to stand in line, in the heat and humidity. She was at the very front, but still outside. Once we moved inside the terminal, we sat for 5 minutes or so, and boarded by 12:15.

This upcoming cruise, we'll be there at 11:00. Even if we have to wait in line, at least we're in line for our cruise :D

Archived