Alaska 2010- Radiance VS Millenium - Specific Questions

jjlasolas

Hi everyone, we are new to cruisecritic and we have a couple of questions hopefully some of you experienced cruisers can answer.

We are planning on taking an Alaskan cruise on July 30, 2010, but we are debating on Celebrity Millenium (Southbound) vs. Royal Radiance (Northbound). We are a group of 4 (1 room-30 something couple with no kids; 2nd room-35 y/o brother and 70 y/o father).

We have previously cruised on Royal Splendour-Mediterranean and never on Celebrity. Brother cruised on Carnival Carribean long time ago and father never has cruised before.

Please help us decide between the following two rooms:

Celebrity Millenium-Inside Cabin = $799

Royal Radiance-Inside Cabin = $929

The items we are considering are food, nightly entertainment, ship activities for 30 y/o, ship amenities, and overall age of cruisers on each ship. Ports of call are the exact same, just opposite order. Celebrity allows bringing wine bottles on board, which is a plus for us.

Wasted $25,000 taking my large family on Celebrity Millie to Alaska.

Problems, filth in buffet, dishes piling up @ work stations, chairs stained w/ split upholstery. In general ship need a drydock. Personnel were generally good, but it felt like a training ship.

As a veteran of 15 cruises, I have never been disappointed w/ my 4 on RCCL.

I have been on Celebrity Mercury....a great exp inb 2005.

But, not taking another chance w Celebirty w/my $. Customer service after I sent them photos and a registered letter about Millie, got so sick of me they gave me a huge discount for another cruise which I have yet to use. It took 6 months for them to reply.

Wasted $25,000 taking my large family on Celebrity Millie to Alaska.

Problems, filth in buffet, dishes piling up @ work stations, chairs stained w/ split upholstery. In general ship need a drydock. Personnel were generally good, but it felt like a training ship.

Thanks for your reply. If I am not mistaken, this ship was refurbed at its 2 week drydock in 2009, which hopefully fixed upholstery/carpeting problems. Its good to know your thoughts on the buffet though-definitely something to consider.

Another follow up question...In your family were there people of our age group? If so did they enjoy the nightly entertainment and activities on board?

My wife and I are in our thirties and are planning to do Alaska in 2011 (likely five night land tour & seven night cruise). We are planning on doing Millenium. I have sailed twice with Celebrity and four times with Royal and overall much prefer Celebrity. Although the average age is higher, we have found more than enough to do on Celebrity. We also have found the food significantly better on Celebrity. The service has seemed about equal, but Celebrity you get a bid more of a being pampered/luxury type feel than has been our experience on Royal. Also, while Royal has been making a lot of cutbacks, I was impressed that Celebrity seems to be making a lot of enhancements - i.e. a huge upgrade in the perks of their loyalty program.

Archived