Discover scuba-Belize or Cozumel?

missdaisy

We did Discover Scuba in Cozumel with a private guide 2 years ago. I loved it but felt a bit uneasy with the minimal instruction that we got. I have encouraged my DH that a ship's tour for discover scuba will be more conservative and protective. This time we have a choice between Belize and Cozumel. Any experiences with the reefs in both of those locations? We will snorkel at the other. Is scuba/snorkeling better at one or the other? I realize there are so many variables in both locations depending on where you go. Just trying to make some last minute decisions and maximize both ports.

• 2 weeks later...

As an advanced open water diver I have been all over the world.. In my opinion.. Cozumel is dead.. Belize and the area near it including Honduras is the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world.. and OMG.. its just beautiful.. Fan coral over 15 feet in diameter etc... Be sure to take in a night dive!

It isn't really the quality of the dive site that matters as much as if there is an available operator. For example, if the ship doesn't offer the Discover Scuba dive as an excursion it is very unlikely you'll be able to arrange it yourself. That would make Cozumel the default choice, and despite the previous opinion, I think Cozumel still offers some of the best diving in the Caribbean plus there are many choices for provider.

OK, I just re-read the OP. If the ship offers a Discover Scuba dive in Belize, I'd still pick Cozumel because there are other things I'd choose to do in Belize.

And a night dive while on a cruise? Seriously? Seldom is a ship in port late enough for that.

Its ALL about the Quality.. regardless if it is a decompression dive for black coral or a nice 30mt dive for 1 1/2 hour... If your a diver.. you will find the right divemaster to dive with.. They are everywhere.. and with the internet.. soooooo much easy to connect...

I stand by my dives.. Cozumel is DEAD.. ok ok.. ya might see a big Morray eel... Spank me....

British Honduras Rocks!~

Archived