N. Dream 1/9-16/05 was fine!

CruiseDoug

In case my longer comments are lost in the cyber-void I just want to say our experience aboard the N. DREAM was perfectly fine and exactly what we expected and wanted when we signed up. It was NOT perfect, but it was a good time. No cruise is ever perfect. This was my 40-something cruise, so my experience is pretty broad!

If you didn't like it it is possibly because you didn't do your research and didn't know what sort of ship experience it was. It is NOT, thankfully a mega-ship resort.

Hopefully, my longer comments will show up soon.

I have to say I agree with you....I feel some what apprehensive to admit that I enjoy the N. Dream....because based on the majority of the postings are negative. I guess I am fortunate that I've always enjoyed my vacation on the Dream. Were they always perfect, absolutely not...but looking at the big picture, weighing all the variables, I enjoy the Dream...I particularly like the pricing of the Dream, and I am willing to accept some of the failings of this ship. I am going back for 2 weeks Dec 2005.

In no way do I mean to minimize the negative comments about the experiences of some of the postings...I just wanted to give another perspective...

Like it's often said...there is the "old" NCL, and the "new" NCL....ironically, I enjoy the old NCL better....I've been on the Dawn, and it's a fantastic ship...but I perfer the Dream over the Dawn....Mostly because value for my money...

I cruise 2 weeks on the Dream for the price of one week on the Dawn... I understand the risks of going on the older ships, but oddly, I've never regretted sticking with the older ships.

This use to be the case with the Norway...it was older, but you couldn't beat the pricing....Was my Norway cruise as nice as my Dawn cruise, absolutely not...The Norway didn't compare to the Dawn; but, if the Norway was still in service, I'd probably cruise the Norway over the Dawn...

With me, It's all about value for my money and knowing the risks, and balancing that with still having an acceptable vacation. So, like you said, it's about doing your homework first.

I compare this to my job in renting cars: Often times customers request and economy class car because it's the cheapest car; they don't want to spend the extra; then, they call me the next day saying something is wrong with the car; saying it doesn't have any pick up, it's loud, it shakes, it feels like riding in a lunch box, etc....It just cracks me up, because most times when this economy car returns, and I test drive the car, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it...it's just how all economy cars drive...

It all boils down to knowing what your paying for, and are you willing to accept those inconviences for going with "budget value" versus the upgrade.

WOW - You both have summed up perfectly what I have been unable to tell others...

I was surprised at the amount of whiners and complainers on my cruise - especially at tender situations where the weather was a factor....As it has been said before, those would have been the first ones to speak up if someone had gotten hurt...

I'll say this again regarding the crew - you smile, you get a smile back....

Thank you for the positive comments. I sail on Sunday the 23rd, just a few days away. After reading several new negative reviews, I was beginning to worry about my ability to make lemonade out of this vacation. I booked this cruise because of the price and the stops. I plan to have a good time, hopefully the others around us on the ship can do the same thing, and if they aren't, hopefully they can keep it to themselves, while onboard. Not that I mind people voicing their opinions on this board, as it is helpful in future cruise planning, just not helpfull in enjoying a vacation.

When we had all of this space booked and the poor reviews were coming in I was originally concerned. But then, I remembered about the same situation with the NORWAY in 2003. We stuck with it because we loved old ships and were amazed that people could complain so much about a trip that we found to be so good. So, I stuck with the Dream and we came away just as happy as before with the Norway. You get back what you put out, and I can just imagine some of the attitudes some of these people put out...I heard them at the dining room entrance and prayed I wouldn't be seated with, or near them!

I wanted to tell them to pipe down as it was! But, I didn't let the little things ruin a big thing.

Archived