Renting a car and touring on our own

trvlbug_jr.

So due to the times that we were in port, the excursion I wanted to do seemed so short for the amount of time we are in Cozumel. I want to get the most out of my time there.

I was considering renting a car, going snorkeling at a beach or two, driving to the east side of the island, having lunch, and then heading back to the ship.

My husband is against this, as he worries if something were to happen to the vehicle what we would do.

Has anybody had any problems when renting a vehicle with it breaking down? How was it dealt with?

If we are in port from 7-4 is it doable to drive down the west side, do a bit of snorkeling, drive over to the east and have lunch and head back up? I heard it takes about 2 hours to drive the island, so I would account for that.

I'm all for this, but might need to do a bit of convincing and am hoping to have some facts to back me up!!!

We rented a car at the pier at Cozumel, and drove along the coast for the day. The weather was spectacular and the drive totally relaxing. We stopped at the many beautiful beaches and had lunch at a wonderful little restaurant that overlooked the water.

I just rented a car, once again, for our Cozumel stop next week. I just wish I could remember the name of the restaurant we had lunch at.

We've rented cars at many port stops all over the world, and never had a problem. *fingers crossed*

We stopped at the many beautiful beaches and had lunch at a wonderful little restaurant that overlooked the water.

Were you on a cliff over the water? Was it called Coconuts, on the east side of the island?

Yeah we were in Cozumel in 2007 but we were in a Jeep with 2 other people with another jeep ahead of us with 4 people, so my husband was comfortable with that. This one is 100% on our own.

I'm going to look into it and try and talk him into it. I want to spend most of our time out at the beaches, seeing the island and having lunch at a place of our choice.

There's always a chance that there will be a problem with the vehicle, but I'm willing to take that adventure.

Cars run anywhere from $40 to $75 per day, depending on who you rent them from. One very important thing is to buy the local insurance offered. And buy the best level they offer. You may be covered for reimbursement by your credit card but that will not keep you out of Jail. They do things differently down there. In the event of an accident with property or medical damage you will be jailed until you either show proof of adequate insurance(local) or have cash to cover all the damages and medical bills. Without the insurance it will be a mad dash for cash, if you can as your ship prepares to sail, for even a minor fender bender. With it, you will be allowed to leave. Usually the max insurance runs roughly $25 per day.

Rich

Cars run anywhere from $40 to $75 per day, depending on who you rent them from. One very important thing is to buy the local insurance offered. And buy the best level they offer. You may be covered for reimbursement by your credit card but that will not keep you out of Jail. They do things differently down there. In the event of an accident with property or medical damage you will be jailed until you either show proof of adequate insurance(local) or have cash to cover all the damages and medical bills. Without the insurance it will be a mad dash for cash, if you can as your ship prepares to sail, for even a minor fender bender. With it, you will be allowed to leave. Usually the max insurance runs roughly $25 per day.

Rich

Rich's advice is dead on correct. Get the insurance.

Get the Cozumel map from http://www.cancunmap.com

I've rented from Avis thru http://www.cozumelinsider.com with no problem. Car was fairly new and no problem at all.

Personally, I would not rent a jeep. A car will have AC, can be locked, has a better ride, and usually cost less than a jeep. The only reason I can see for getting a jeep is to for the top down experience. That's just my opinion.

Coconuts is a great stop.

coconuts2.jpg

The only safe place to swim on the East side is Chen Rio, just a bit south of Coconuts.

Don't go without insurance! A motor Vehicle accident is a criminal offense in Mexico and you will be taken into custody while it is being investigated. The insurance will keep you out of jail and let you sail away. I personally would rather hire a cab for the day (the price is tpically the same or close to it). Let someone else do the navigating and you do the sight seeing.

We were in Cozumel in 2007 with some family and we rented Jeeps. Because the island is so small and not particularly busy, we are going to do the adventure ourselves instead of a taxi.

We did Coconuts when we were there last time, so going to try something else on the east side this time around.

Once I know what Pier we are at, we'll see what car place to rent from. Right now I am hoping we are at International Pier because Ace Rent A Car is right at the pier and opens at 7am, so we can pick up nice and early and really have a full day out there.

Our plan is to drive to Dzul Ha and Corona Beach, do some snorkeling and have a drink. Dive down and to the east side of the island and stop at Playa San Martin/Chen Rio and go to El Galeon for some food and drinks and then head back up to the pier and town.

We will get the insurance for sure. I know you have to have the liability insurance, just have to figure out what exactly to get on top of that. I noticed there are about 4 or 5 different types on the Ace site.

Thanks for all of the help. We will get a map for sure and look forward to a fun, adventurous day!!

If you have a car, a great place to visit is the Lighthouse at Punta Sur (think that name is right) - right at the southern tip of the island. Very inexpensive and great sight seeing/photo ops. Be careful with the higher waves/undertow on the east side -it is beautiful though! You'll have plenty of time to do all!

Let us know what agency you use, please. I can't remember who we used. We've rented a car before both for the week and for the day!

Debbie in MS

Archived