Is it True ?

Interrogation Room

Lots of interesting comments. I particularly liked the clarification about the meaning of addiction and its relationship to chemical dependencies.

I have to disagree with the poster who said that you "either love it or hate it". We went on our first cruise in 1991 and really enjoyed ourselves. Our most recent cruise was last March. We've enjoyed all our cruises, but it is not the only thing we want to do. We will cruise again, but I'm not dying to get on another ship. We've already booked our next vacation, which is a regular trip to Europe (probably Barcelona, Paris, London, but we're still working on the details).

I think a lot of people enjoy the simplicity. If you want, you can make one decision (ship, itinerary and dates) and that's it. Yes, you can also decide what shore excursions, if any, to take, but it's not something you have to plan too far in advance if you don't want to.

I guess one of the things I like about regular vacations is the sense of control, the ability to set your own pace and decide your own route. There is some ability to do that on a cruise ship, but it is all within a much narrower range (e.g., the ship will leave port without you if you're not on it).

Some like cruises because they are inexpensive. But that is really only the case if you live near a port. Our 7 day cruise out of Galveston was, by far, the most expensive one-week trip we've ever taken.

Going on a cruise is great, but no, even ignoring the chemical dependency issue, I'm not the slightest bit addicted.

Went on my 1st cruise in 1998. Didn't go on another until January this year. That refreshed my memory as to how much I LOVE to cruise, so I booked another one in February for April this year. Not sure if that means I'm addicted or not. I just know one thing - I am sooo excited about this next Southern Caribbean cruise I could just SCREAM! :D

I'll let you in on a little secret! I think I am addicted! Just don't tell anybody! LOL...

They wanna make me go to rehab.......

No, it's not "addictive". You cannot form a chemical dependence on such an experience. Your friends are employing hyperbole and exaggeration. You can grow to like it very much, yes. But it's not addictive. (Sorry for being a Debbie Downer, but when you're familiar with "real" addiction, you realize how completely overused the term is, and how it's losing it's meaning. There was a time when people had "habits" and "likes" and "preferences". Now we just blow things to the extreme. Not a good trend, in my opinion.)

You seriously are a Debbie Downer.

Cruising can be an addiction, not to be confused with a chemical dependency.

Addictions don't have to be physical or chemical. Addiction is the more generic term; all it means is that you're doing something and you can't stop. The thing you're addicted to does not have to be chemically a narcotic. It does not have to be a chemical. It does not have to be harmful; the point is you can't stop.

I seem to be addicted to Cruise Critic...I know full well that it's bad for my health, but I do it anyway.

Cruising is a much more healthy addiction IMO ;)

They wanna make me go to rehab.......

You seriously are a Debbie Downer.

Cruising can be an addiction, not to be confused with a chemical dependency.

Addictions don't have to be physical or chemical. Addiction is the more generic term; all it means is that you're doing something and you can't stop. The thing you're addicted to does not have to be chemically a narcotic. It does not have to be a chemical. It does not have to be harmful; the point is you can't stop.

I seem to be addicted to Cruise Critic...I know full well that it's bad for my health, but I do it anyway.

Cruising is a much more healthy addiction IMO ;)

Technical definition of addiction aside, do you really think that all these people are "addicted" to cruising? I don't. I think they enjoy it very much, but I think people have a horrible tendency of conflating things they like very much with addiction. You know as well as I do that real addictions are no joke.

You know as well as I do that real addictions are no joke.

Very true...but I'm not as upset as you when people say they are addicted to cruising....or to chocolate or to lip balm for that matter.

I think you seriously need a vaction. :p

I think you seriously need a vaction. :p

Actually, I just happened to read that particular post right after one of my coworkers spent 20 minutes blowing compressed air into their keyboard, asking us all to look at the crap that came out of said keyboard, and then declared herself addicted to compressed air. The utter stupidity of it all just annoyed the hell out of me. ;)

Actually, I just happened to read that particular post right after one of my coworkers spent 20 minutes blowing compressed air into their keyboard, asking us all to look at the crap that came out of said keyboard, and then declared herself addicted to compressed air. The utter stupidity of it all just annoyed the hell out of me. ;)

LMAO!!

Yeah..that would make me a bit snarky too!!!

Yeah ... I seriously hate my office this week ... I'm just gonna stare at my countdown clock for a while now ...

wow. :( that's a long way off.

I may not get to cruise until Jan/Feb next year either...and I am having FREAKING WITHDRAWAL.

:eek:;):p

wow. :( that's a long way off.

I may not get to cruise until Jan/Feb next year either...and I am having FREAKING WITHDRAWAL.

:eek:;):p

I have a couple of roadtrips planned for the summer (and I live in a shore town) so it's not *as* bad as some other folks. But I gotta tell ya, I missed going away in February like I usually do. Oh well, that's what happens when the economy goes to hell.

Yes and no. I've met people who just didn't like. Then there are folks like me and many on this board that just can't get enough.

I went on my first in 2006 and we decided to go back the next year. Well we had our 2nd Annual February cruise and then the wife had to go and get pregnant. With the rules (and safety of course) we couldn't cruise in February with her 8 months pregnant, so we had to go in August before she gave birth knowing we would miss the February cruise. A year later, we thought dd was old enough, so we went on another cruise, again in August. Of course a month after booking, the wife is pregnant again so we couldn't resume our February cruises again.

Now the discussion has turned to September of this year. The wife is complaining that the 2 year old is running around saying boat everytime she sees one and she is thinking that she must be going through Withdrawl. I think it is the wife who is going through withdrawl and not the 2 year old, but who knows. I do know I am and it hasn't even been a year yet. So yeah, I'd say it is addictiing.

Some friends of mines on facebook told me that cruising can be "addicted".

Once you go on a cruise, you will want to cruise over and over again.

Is this true? My family and I have never cruises before so this will be our first time.

My name is Kathy and I'm a "cruise addict":D I'm so addicted that I start checking cruise prices the day after I return home from a cruise. I suffer from "post cruise depression" and like all the other "addicts" here my depression lingers until I get my next "fix":rolleyes:

Without a doubt, cruising is addicting. And I am not ashamed to admit that I am a full blown addict. I just got off my third cruise just three weeks ago and I have been suffering symptoms of withdrawal ever since. It is next to impossible not to start surfing the Carnival sight looking for cruising deals. It makes my heart race just thinking about it. I miss my balcony cabin, I miss my room steward and turn down service, I miss Chocolate Melting cake and room service. I miss my drinks of the day! Yes, I am addicted and dang proud of it! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Much like the other addicts on this board, I have no intention of entering a 12-step program for cruise addiction. Hello, my name is Chief Cruiser, and I'm a cruise addict is as far as it gets. I admit I have a problem. I also admit I am not willing to stop my habit.

I am dealer as well. I've gotten my father, mother, daughters, and even gotten two of my grandchildren, ages 6 and 3 hooked.

I would say I am going to hell for getting so many of my family members hooked, but actually, I'm going to the EASTERN CARIBBEAN instead!!!!!!!

Hooked and will die a cruise addict!!!!!!!!

LoL :D

Archived