Eggs Benedict...

MaiTaiMary

I've read in numerous threads that the eggs benedict in the buffet isn't very good.

What about the MDR? Eggs benedict is my vacation splurge! Not something I eat on a regular basis at home. I'd love to have it on my cruise! :D Somebody tell me it's good in the MDR, please!! LOL

I have never seen eggs benedict in the buffet. I have it every morning in the MDR.

I like my yolk soft and get it cooked that way. Just tell the server how you want it.

The secret to perfect Eggs Benedict, in the dining room is to order them with the sauce on the side-it's one of my favorites, but not after sitting under heating lamps, waiting to be picked up-Bon Appetite.............

The ones on the buffet of the Dream did not look very good to us - so we passed.

But.....in the MDR, I have also learned to order them with the eggs "over easy" instead of poached. They are then made to order and the egss are not cooked too hard ;).

I have never seen eggs benedict in the buffet. I have it every morning in the MDR.

I like my yolk soft and get it cooked that way. Just tell the server how you want it.

I have not had much luck with that :(.

I think the eggs are cooked "soft" - but then when they are put under the broiler to brown the hollandaise sauce - it cooks the egg more.....and ultimately too much for me :eek:.

I agree -- it is RARE to have Eggs Benedict on Carnival where the sauce has not fully congealed and the egg yolk turned (basically) firm thanks to too much time under a heat lamp.

We cruise on Carnival a few times a year, and I make a point to go to the MDR for breakfast at least once per sailing. In the last year (OR TWO) it is how I described above.

I like the idea of putting one together on your own... why didn't I think of that? :D

- really though, if they can't deliver the dish the way it's intended to be - they should GIVE UP... of course, I would wager that a fair % of people are not aware of the proper "textbook" presentation/condition.

786915814_aQf8L-L.jpg

786915806_8JdtG-L.jpg

OK... NOW I AM GETTING HUNGRY!! :eek:

Tom

Tom -

Those look FANTASTIC!! I have always had the hollandaise sauce brownd (I assume under the broiler) and you are right - that cooks the egg too much :(!

Make you own......peel and grate the root. (OK, you can use a food precessor) Add just enough white vinegar to have it stay together. Store in fridge.

This is a wonderful idea, but do be careful! If you plant horseradish it will spread like crazy :eek:. Plant it in a pot by itself :)!

This is a wonderful idea, but do be careful! If you plant horseradish it will spread like crazy :eek:. Plant it in a pot by itself :)!

Actually, you can plant it in the ground as long as there is a barrier. I buried a coffee can that the bottom was also cut out and planted a horseradish in the center of the can. The plant didn't spread.

Cousins Husband said the eggs bennie wasn't the greatest when we were on the Ecstasy but did say he LOVED the Bagels and Locs...

I did not eat breakfast in the MDR. Tend to sleep in on vacations

Bagels and Locs - sounds like a Top Chef Quickfire challenge.

Along with mint, which also tends to take over your garden. We use a creamy horseradish sauce from Trader Joe's - mainly on sandwiches. Comes in a small plastic flip-top bottle. Orowheat oatmeal bread, thinly sliced and folded turkey or ham, Asian lettuces, sliced tomatoes and avacados and small portion of sliced Vidalia onions, real Swiss cheese, and creamy horseradish and brown mustard on the bread. Yum! Best sammich ever!

I enjoy the way that threads, many times "naturally", seem to drift ever so slightly off course - and the end result it that you can learn things you were not expecting. Extra credit !! :)

At least informative threads such as these are not likely to go POOF!

Now I will have to experiment with making my own horseradish! :eek:

Tom

I had Eggs Benedict most mornings at the MDR on both the Splendor and Freedom and they were very good. On the Sensation they were so-so. It might just be the luck of the draw, but overall, I thought they were quite good considering how many people they serve every morning. Fortunately we sail on the Dream next month, so I can get my EB "fix" again very soon...and I will definitely ask for extra sauce on the side.

I have not had much luck with that :(.

I think the eggs are cooked "soft" - but then when they are put under the broiler to brown the hollandaise sauce - it cooks the egg more.....and ultimately too much for me :eek:.

Eggs Benedict is one of those dishes that just keeps getting worse the longer it is in the kitchen.

I've even sent mine back and gotten new ones that are cooked correctly. Eggs Benedict is supposed to have runny yolks. :D

Had them every morning in the MDR on the Victory and they were perfect every day. We also were there right after the MDR opened which might have had something to do with it.

Asking for the Hollandaise on the side is a good idea! :D

I love eggs Benedict, especially with the runny yolks, but the only time I've seen them in a buffet was on the RCCL Grandeur of the Seas in March. The drawback, though, was that they were made using cinnamon-raisin English muffins. :eek:

I used to love the corned beef hash on RCCL, but they didn't have that on the Grandeur. Do the other ships still have it, or is this something which has been discontinued?

I used to love the corned beef hash on RCCL' date=' but they didn't have that on the Grandeur. Do the other ships still have it, or is this something which has been discontinued?[/quote']

They had it on the Explorer. 2 helpings daily. :)

The Dining room at the hotel (Marriott?) at the Tampa airport has a delicious breakfast of Eggs Benedict with Hash Browns. Only something like $12, including coffee, and is so good I plan my flights to have time to have a leisurely breakfast there. :) The Marriott at Channelside in Tampa also offers the same Eggs Benedict breakfast.

Archived