Snorkeling at Baths

LASULLIVAN444

• 3 weeks later...
Hi everyone, planning on taking ferry to the baths in April and really looking forward to snorkeling there. Is it better to snorkel at beach when you first get to locker area or do you snorkel after climbing thru boulders to devil beach area? Thanks for any info

I think snorkeling at Devil's Bay (after you go through the boulders) is better - simply because the bay is bigger and it is easier to navigate around.

How long is the walk form the Baths to Devils Bay? easy to find? we are on the ship tour and only have 2hrs total time there?

Devil's bay is the beach at the other end of The Baths (just after you get through the rocks that make up The Baths)(so finding it is no problem). It should take you at least 20-30 minutes to get through The Baths (because you should take your time and enjoy them). Coming back to the parking lot, you can either go back through The Baths or take the alternate path from Devil's bay. It will take you at least 1/2 hour to get back to the parking lot. So if your tour is only allowing you two hours at The Baths that will allow you about 45-60 minutes to snorkel.

If that small amount of time makes you nervous, snorkel at the first beach (bottom of the trail down to The Baths). It will take you about 15 minutes to get back up the hill to the parking lot. As i said I prefer Devil's Bay but if you have serious time limitations, the first beach may be a better choice.

When we did the Bath's, we also did a ship's tour. Our guide took us down the main trail to the Bath's, then lead the group throw the Rocks to Devil's Bay and told us how long we had there before we should head back. We actually got a bit longer than the listed time to spend.

If you do go to Devil's Bay, I would suggest taking the direct trail back as going thru the rocks back the opposite direction can take awhile as there are places that are single file. At these points, you have to wait for the other tour groups going toward Devil's Bay.

you'll get an idea by looking at our pictures here:

The water was nice and warm a few days ago but there was no snorkeling because of rough water and a strong undertow. Two people had to be rescued.

After going through the Baths area we had a nice swim at Devil's Beach - as far from any rocks as possible. Even then I gave DH a mild scare at one point.

• 1 month later...

Was there last week. Not on a cruise. Water was pleanty warm. Spent 4 hours exploring the baths without getting in the water. If you have an opportunity to snorkle elswhere on your cruise then do that elswhaer and spend your two hours out of the water looking around. You don't want to miss all the small passages and hidie-holes in the baths by rushing through just to get to devils bay to snorkle (which you can do at any other beautiful beach in the carrib. The baths is all about the rocks. Enjoy.

Archived