Category question

scdreamer

I hope this isn't the dumbest question ever, but what determines one's "category?"

We are cruising on Celebrity Millennium later this year ... we are in an ocean view stateroom on deck 6, but I have no idea how that translates to a category. :confused:

We are cruising on Celebrity Millennium later this year ... we are in an ocean view stateroom on deck 6, but I have no idea how that translates to a category. :confused:

Catagory 5.

I hope this isn't the dumbest question ever, but what determines one's "category?"

You really have to carefully review the deck plans. Besides the obvious (inside vs. outside, suite or not, etc.) Categories are based on "location, location, location" if all else is equal.

Thanks for the info - I do understand the concept of location, realizing our cabin is slightly higher cost than the base oceanview was at the time we booked, because of the location. I'm just wanting to keep an eye on fares in the event of a reduction, and I'm not exactly sure how to do that (apples to apples).

Fortunately we have a great TA, who I am sure is also watching the fares, but I was interested in keeping abreast of fare changes myself. When I go to the Celebrity website and enter the basic info (ship, month, destination, departure port) it shows the fares for the various cabin types, but I'm not sure how to see if our specific category has changed.

Thanks for the info - I do understand the concept of location, realizing our cabin is slightly higher cost than the base oceanview was at the time we booked, because of the location. I'm just wanting to keep an eye on fares in the event of a reduction, and I'm not exactly sure how to do that (apples to apples).

Fortunately we have a great TA, who I am sure is also watching the fares, but I was interested in keeping abreast of fare changes myself. When I go to the Celebrity website and enter the basic info (ship, month, destination, departure port) it shows the fares for the various cabin types, but I'm not sure how to see if our specific category has changed.

"Texed" posted that your cabin is a Catagory 5 Cabin. Assuming that is correct (check the deck plan for your specific cabin), then it is easy to keep track of current pricing. Just log into Celebrity's web site and just start a "new" (but fake) booking and see what the current cabin prices are that particular day. You can do the same with other web-based TAs and should find the same cabin pricing, but the TAs may have offers if you book with them (they pay the tips for example).

Another method that I have used is "Change Detection" at: http://www.changedetection.com/

If you use this site properly, it will monitor your specific pricing page and send you an email if there are any changes to that specific web page. Therefore, you will get some email noticiations that are worthless.

I have been very unluckly in this price reduction game, my selected cabin has always when up in price between my booking date and final sail date. Another reason I do not go to Las Vegas!:D

We are luckly that with the Internet we can easily check pricing for many things including cruises. A few years ago it was strictly what the TA told you was the price, but you could shop around for different TAs which for me was a pain and not usually productive.

Think of it as a way to segment the passengers who want to cruise, and get each to pay the max the cruise line can get.

For instance:

You have a choice of an inside on Deck 2 near the very back, Deck 3 near the center, or up on Deck 9. Which do you book?

The Deck 9 inside is the most expensive category (cat 9) for an inside, since it is closest to all of the activities on Deck 10 (you'll never get an elevator that does the "local", stopping at each floor between you and Deck 10).

The Deck 2 choice is a Cat 12, the cheapest inside. I think there are only about twelve total cat 12 cabins each of the M-Class ships (at the extreme front and back). Go more towards the center of the ship, and that same interior room layout on deck 2 is now a Cat 11 inside room. The Deck 3 inside is one deck closer to Deck 10, and thus priced higher as a Cat 10 room.

Likweise, oceanviews go from Cat 04 (expensive and up high) to Cat 8 (deck 2, by the extreme front/back).

I have been very unluckly in this price reduction game, my selected cabin has always when up in price between my booking date and final sail date. Another reason I do not go to Las Vegas!:D

If you look at this from a "glass half full" perspective, sptrout, you could consider yourself lucky that you got the best available price.... ;)

If you look at this from a "glass half full" perspective, sptrout, you could consider yourself lucky that you got the best available price.... ;)

Agreed! I always feel that falling prices are a bad thing for the most part. Maybe good for a some passengers, but bad for business overall which in the end will hurt everyone.

Archived