Elation-Verandah deck cabins

CrzrVOL

Hey everyone!! We are doing a family reunion cruise out of San Diego in April. DH and I have never sailed out of San Diego (normally we go out of Florida) but most of my family is in CA and AZ so it is really easier for them. What can you tell me - in general terms of couse - about Elation and the Port of San Diego? I seem to remember reviews that there are no hair dryers in the suites ( a MUST for us ladies!!) We are in V14 with other family members in 5 others balcony rooms on that floor and some in inside cabins. There are 3 couples that are "newbies" and since I am the contact for all of them, I want to know anything that they may have questions about. I am so excited about this cruise....it's been 2 looonnnngggg years since hubby and I have felt the motion of the ocean.....man, we need this!!! Thanks to all of you in advance.....:)

I was on the Elations sister ship, Fantasy, in cabin V7. If you look at the floor plans above you, you will see that the gym is very close to you. While I was in V7, I wondered quite a few times if the gym was opened 24 hours a day. The Thump, Thump of what I thought were basketballs bouncing. Anyother thread said it may have been the treadmills. But anyway...you will probably hear the gym noise. While the cabin was great the balcony was very small. The ship itself, I thought, was very easy to get around and find everything. I didn't go to those ports though. HAVE A GREAT TIME!

We are in V17 on April 10th. Are you on that one ?

This is our second time on Elation. We like her for the short itin.'s, so DH can play golf.

I think there was a dryer in the V cabins, but I always bring my own. Ship dryers tend to be small and not good for my hair. There is body soap in the shower, but again, I bring my own--allergies. (Dont remember any shampoo or rinse).

The beds are awesome, and you should sleep very well. Enough room in the V's, and DH always brings his golf clubs.

The MDR food was very good, and our service, in cabin and MDR was very good.

San Diego does not have a fancy terminal yet (in the works), but we think it is an easy embarkation. We are usually early--between 12-1pm--. We bring our carry-ons and go directly to Lido for lunch.

It will be fun.

Pat

The cabin steward will bring a hair dryer if your cabin does not have one, he did for 2 of our cabins on the Elation. We were just sailed the Spirit out of San Diego it is over all a good port. I found it a bit slow getting on but there were weather issues and 3 ships in port which I think is unusual. Debarkation was a breeze. The Elation was a great ship with a great crew when we sailed 11/2008. When we sailed on the Elation embarkation was much quicker but only 2 ships were in port and the weather issues were not going on.

Jen in SoCal

Hey everyone!! We are doing a family reunion cruise out of San Diego in April. DH and I have never sailed out of San Diego (normally we go out of Florida) but most of my family is in CA and AZ so it is really easier for them. What can you tell me - in general terms of couse - about Elation and the Port of San Diego? I seem to remember reviews that there are no hair dryers in the suites ( a MUST for us ladies!!) We are in V14 with other family members in 5 others balcony rooms on that floor and some in inside cabins. There are 3 couples that are "newbies" and since I am the contact for all of them, I want to know anything that they may have questions about. I am so excited about this cruise....it's been 2 looonnnngggg years since hubby and I have felt the motion of the ocean.....man, we need this!!! Thanks to all of you in advance.....:)

Thanks to everyone! I always come here when I have a question and you all always come through! I am so ready for this cruise - even if all the family is going to be there :o - there are so many that I am hoping to show the wonderful world of cruising to! DH and I are so ready for this...it is the 4/10-4/15 sailing so not too long till we hear that wonderful sound of the ocean.....in fact we are thinking about booking the Elation next year out of Mobile for our 40th!! We can drive to Mobile in about 6 hours! Whoo-Hoo!!

Here's a link to a few pictures of V27 http://travel.webshots.com/album/576238111urgIcY It's the last one on the starboard side so it looks out at a lifeboat. I think (?) the last 3 do. It will give you an idea. There's a shot of the balcony and the chair placed sideways because the balcony is small like rebric12 mentioned.

There was a dryer. It was behind the mirror near where the soda's and water bottles were on the vanity. It opens kind of like a medicine cabinet. I almost overlooked that storage space. I had brought my own dryer as well. I have also sailed twice on the Riviera deck and there was not a hairdryer.

The cabin was great - balcony so-so. The cabin location was quiet. The only minor drawback (besides balcony) was the elevator situation. It's not like it ruined the trip or anything, but not all the elevators go that high. The glass ones do and then one bank (set of two) of the regular ones do. Most decks have two banks of elevators - one on each side of where you're waiting - does that make sense? The set of elevators on one side only go up to deck 10 I think, or maybe 9 because of a crew only area right behind cabin V27. I think it's where all the workings of the air conditioning or something is. While we were sailing one of the two regular elevators that went up to 11 was broken making it even more limited. Ordinarily walking from 10 up to 11 would be no big deal but we were travelling with an 80 year old. It was also quite a long time on disembarkation day to get an elevator - then when it finally came there were too many people with too much luggage. We were waiting first and wouldn't you know it we didn't make it on. We didn't elbow our way on - no need to hurry up and wait somewhere else. I was just a little surprised that people didn't even consider the 80 yr old and 75 yr old I was with. They aren't in wheelchairs, don't have walkers, just slow. I'm rambling - sorry:o

We love going in and out of San Diego.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the pictures DareTooDream....my neice and her family are staying in one of the rooms that have an obstructed view, so that helps. I see where you were talking about that stores the hairdryer. I always bring my own because the ones on the ship never seem to work for me, but I wanted to let the other ladies know if there wasn't one available. And I will keep the information in mind about the elevators. I knew from some previous post that the balconies are small, but that is OK! I just love to sit out there and look at the waves......does anybody know if the dividers can be removed to open up the space? We have 4 rooms side-by-side. I have seen that done before, but I doubt it on the older ships.

Thanks again to all who responded.....

One word of caution, those Veranda rooms are right underneath the fog horns so if there is any fog coming into port, it will be very loud so bring ear plugs!!

:eek: Oh My Gosh....that would be a wake-up after a long night in the disco!!

Thanks to everyone! I always come here when I have a question and you all always come through! I am so ready for this cruise - even if all the family is going to be there :o - there are so many that I am hoping to show the wonderful world of cruising to! DH and I are so ready for this...it is the 4/10-4/15 sailing so not too long till we hear that wonderful sound of the ocean.....in fact we are thinking about booking the Elation next year out of Mobile for our 40th!! We can drive to Mobile in about 6 hours! Whoo-Hoo!!

You ARE on the same cruise with us ! :)

We are in V17 this time, but we were in V27 last time. The V27 has that small lifeboat obstructing part of it, but it doesn't block the whole view. When we are anchored, you can see the town from your balcony.

One thing to be aware of with that cabin, the crew walks around out there, so close the drapes when you are dressing. :eek:

I am excited too. Any day cruising beats staying home.

Pat

Archived