Taking a 6 year old on an Alaskan cruise...

Cheryl H

Our son loved our New England/Canada cruise in 2008, but all he participated in were the Fisher Price toddler playtimes as he was still in pullups then.

Now we're considering an Alaska cruise on the Radiance (RCCL) for June 2011. Will there be very many children? Do you think they'll group lots of older kids in with him? Do your kids visit the kids club every day? or just occasionally? Of course, we will not make him go to any of it, but I have a feeling he will want to stay and play with the other kids. I will be happy if I just get to eat one dinner alone with my husband and maybe visit the solarium while our son is in kids club.

Thanks! Any info is a help.

p.s. I tried to read reviews of the cruises on Radiance, but there were no reviews from people with small children.

I cruised last year on the Radiance to Alaska with ds4 and dd11. There were about 300 kids on board. There was no amalgamating of the age groups. We went in August, so there may be fewer kids in June. Both of them had a great time. They went every day.

The solarium opens to kids for about 6-8 hours a day on the Alaskan cruise, so don't expect a quiet "adult" experience there. ;)

300!! Wow! That's great news.

If I understand everything I've read, there's at least 1 night where they eat with the kids club staff in the Windjammer. I'd like to take advantage of that so we can have one night of dining on our own.

No problem with the family time in the Solarium. I think it's nice they get to swim in the warm indoor pool for a while each day. But it will be nice for us to visit the solarium for a little bit without our kid and relax without worrying about keeping an eye on him. I can't wait to get a lounge chair, lie down, and relax!! Now I just need the next 16 months to hurry up and get over with so we can go!! Can't wait til the 2011 itineraries come out.

Thanks so much for the info.

Were there any Alaska tours that your 4 year old loved especially?

Archived