Queen Elizabeth Winter TA - 5 Jan. 2011

felloship

My friend Ryan and I just booked this winter crossing on the Queen Elizabeth, any other family on board? We booked through Pied Piper only because they could sell the TA segment only, which we were happy to do. I have done the TA aboard the QE2 (rip) and QM2 and looking forward to being on board the QE on her inaugural run to New York as part of her inaugural world cruise. She will be sailing in tandem with her sister Victoria and meeting up with QM2 in New York on Jan 13. Looking forward to an extra long crossing - 8 days! It doesn't get better than Cunard! I don't check cc that often, so I can also be emailed at matt@mjkdesigns.com

Matt --

We'll actually be within sight of you during the entire crossing, but not on the same ship :-) My partner and I are crossing on Queen Victoria, which is doing a tandem crossing with the Queen Elizabeth out of Southampton. Maybe we can wave at each other? lol

• 3 months later...

Hi Calliope -

I live a mile from Speedway, so Chuck and I will probably have lots to talk about! Looking forward to meeting you. I am traveling with other "family" - I am sharing a room with my friend Ryan from London. We did the QM2 crossing last fall and met Gerd, from Germany, who has booked this cruise as well. I was also on the final westbound crossing of the QE2 and Rob, a friend from that sailing, is also booked on the QE crossing. He is a veteran of the Cunard winter crossings and loves them. I have also started an e-mail exchange with another Matthew from London, who is traveling with a buddy.

I see the roll call is quite active and glad to see this board is starting to pick up too.

I am sorely trying to justify staying on to Ft Lauderdale but can't right now. Ironically, I am sailing with my parents on the Zuiderdam over Christmas and New Years, which means I have three days to get from Ft Lauderdale to Southampton!

Until then, I will probably see if there is (COLD!) charter boat that would go out and watch the sailing of the three ships from New York on the 13th!

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

I too am booked (Cabin 8152) on the QE Maiden Transatlantic crossing with Pied Piper. I did the Winter Crossing last January on QV with Pied Piper and enjoyed it very much. I am hoping a friend will join me (although most of my friends think I am crazy for doing this in winter), but if not I will do it alone. C'est la vie! I will be flying Montreal to Paris for New Years and then to London by Eurostar for a few days before the pilgrimmage to Soton! I am really looking forward to it. Bill

Hey Matt, Frank, and Bill!

Hope you are all doing well. Looking forward to January and sailing with all of you again. Starting to think about booking flights- will probably spend New Years in London and then travel down to Soton a day or 2 before we sail. New Years in Paris does sound tempting though. I agree with Matt. While I would love to stay on til Lauderdale, the premium is just too much. I could do another crossing for the price I was quoted. Will research charter cruises from NY as it gets closer to watch the departure. Just hope it is warmer and dryer than that night 3 years ago when the 3 Queens sailed.

Rob

Hey Anchor Guy,

Have done the Winter Crossing 3 of the past 4 years and have really enjoyed each voyage. It can be a little rough but that is part of the adventure. This past year on Victoria it was fairly smooth except for 1 afternoon. I find it a great way to relax after the holidays. This year will be exciting as it is a tandem crossing with QE (her maiden ta) and QV and then all 3 ships arrive in NY together.

Think you should be able to book through Cunard. Pied Piper Travel also has a group onboard and might have space available.

Rob

The prices on the NYC to FTL run might be losening up a bit. David H. posted on the Roll Call that he changed his booking to add on the portion to sunny Florida. I know David, and I don't think that he would have done that, if it still cost the price of another cruise!

I'll be checking into it on Tuesday, after the Fourth of July holiday.

• 2 months later...

Now that we are four months away, I am -re-igniting this thread. Really looking forward to it...although I will be a bit spoiled. I am going on a Christmas cruise with my parents on HAL through the Panama Canal, then flying directly to London for 2 nights before boarding the QE! Oh well, you only live once, right?

Archived