SEABOURN Dress Codes

BLONDE MOMENTS

Hi All

I have only just seen the posts and to me it seems a good idea, times are changing and not everyone wants to dress for dinner, you can be stylish and smart without the need to wear formal clothes.

Also a good pair of jeans with a crisp shirt and smart jacket can look far nicer than a cheap pair of trousers and badly fitting jacket, at the end of day they are all clothes, it is the way they are worn:D

Those who post that there are plenty of other cruise lines if you want to go casual, yes there are but not with the same level of service that you get with Seabourn.

In the past 5 years on Seabourn you can certainly see that the dress code has become more casual, which is not a bad thing as attracting more cruisers to Seabourn which they will need in order to survive especially with 6 ships.

A lot of negative information is given on the boards in respect of the so call dressiness to prospective Seabourn cruisers which I am sure puts a lot of them off, to any reading this post, the dress code is no where near as dressy as some of the posts lead you to believe.

The bottom line is that we all want Seabourn to survive and it has to move with the times to accomodate this and attract more cruisers and if this means no more Formal nights, surely we would prefer that than no Seabourn

deb

Hi Chairsin--welcome home--you didn't miss much weather wise while you were gone!!! Did you say "a couple came in without a shirt"--If it was a man and woman, that must have caused quite a stir--it happened to me once in a bar in San Francisco, and the gal in the red velvet swing over the bar stopped swinging and just stared! Glad you had the usual great cruise! Don

>"...just dress to impress"

I think dressing to be comfortable, to have fun and not to give a whit about what everyone else might think is the way to go. Mix and match.

:D Jane, I love it, you have a wonderful way of getting your point across and still handle it like a "Lady"

See you in a few weeks.

Shirley

>"it happened to me once in a bar in San Francisco, and the gal in the red velvet swing over the bar stopped swinging and just stared!"

Don, stop telling tales about Lola!

In her younger days-- in Denver-- she had quite a reputation--people were real glad when I took her off the market! Town settled down a lot! Don

Seabourn is not checking labels in anyone's clothing - just asking those who choose to eat in main dining room to dress for a traditional, festive occasion. When one dresses up, table manners and decorum are likely to rise, too. There is no need to cancel the formal evening as alternative dining venues are always available.

Wandering wino,

Sorry to scare you -- that WAS a pretty bad typo to make. :eek:

Roxburgh,

I know, I am a terrible wife! But frankly if the rumours are true about the disappearance of formal nights on many of the cruises he may never get one. It is one thing to wear a coat and tie on elegant casual and casual nights but wearing a tux (or the elusive white dinner jacket ) might just be too much unless we travel with friends who agree to dress formally a few nights.

Don,

First my poor typing gets me into trouble and now my grammar! Sorry -- should have said a couple of men! But then we DID have the young woman who wandered around the pool deck and Sky Bar in her thong!!!

Thanks for the welcome home -- nice to come home to great weather -- then again we had perfect weather( in spite of my previous misgivings about El Nino).

May 2010 will see our 9th Seabourn cruise and we've also been with Silversea twice and on the Paul Gauguin once. All 6 or 5+ star cruises on smaller ships wher informality is welcomed but the occasional formality of a dressed up night is also welcome. For me the tux is something I can live without but my wife and her friends love the formality so what are you to do and when everyone is dressed up it does enhance the experience. On Paul Gauguin last September the more casual approach and the need to fill suites led to T shirts and jeans shorts in the main dining room in the evening. There were complaints and they did wear long jeans the next time. There need to be standards and I'm against Seabourn taking the first step to the Gauguin experience. I can't see Silversea backing off on some formality.

I can't see Silversea backing off on some formality.

Give it time,and you will find the lack of formality when Silversea need to fill the Silver Spirit.it is happening on the Odyssey,August will be the testing time when the Silver Spirit does seven day cruises in the Med.

Cruise lines will not inforce a strict dress code because they need to fill the ships in anyway they can.That's why they cleverly put "suggested" in any printed info.

It has happened in top restaurants around the world,in fact I can only think of three restaurants in London that require a jacket and tie.Two of which are private members only.

Yes,I do eat at all three regularly.

Don,

First my poor typing gets me into trouble and now my grammar! Sorry -- should have said a couple of men! But then we DID have the young woman who wandered around the pool deck and Sky Bar in her thong!!!

Thanks for the welcome home -- nice to come home to great weather -- then again we had perfect weather( in spite of my previous misgivings about El Nino).

Having spent much time in Europe and a good bit of time on beaches where topless was the rule, I am of the firm opinion that the vast majority of people - men and women - look much better covered up.

Yes, that includes me too :D

Give it time,and you will find the lack of formality when Silversea need to fill the Silver Spirit.it is happening on the Odyssey,August will be the testing time when the Silver Spirit does seven day cruises in the Med.

Cruise lines will not inforce a strict dress code because they need to fill the ships in anyway they can.That's why they cleverly put "suggested" in any printed info.

It has happened in top restaurants around the world,in fact I can only think of three restaurants in London that require a jacket and tie.Two of which are private members only.

Yes,I do eat at all three regularly.

It seems to be the way of the world. I now have just two clients which still enforce traditional business attire - one in New York and the other in LA - and I am one of the few people in our Phoenix office who still wears a jacket and proper shirt to work. And the clients are worse :eek: Thankfully I retire in just 4 months :D

"Business casual" - all to often "business sloppy" has been the rule now for around 15 years. I wore a school uniform including tie and blazer from age 5 to age 18 and then a business suit from age 21 onwards. But now there is a whole generation that believes that dressing casual is the normal and desirable way to be. These people are the passengers of the future and the cruise lines know it. We are, I fear, fighting a losing battle.

Archived