Any difference in Volendam and Zuidirdam?

joeyillinois

It seems like the scheduled stops are about the same -- Any advice on which is the best? I read reviews, but looks like a toss up. (Some love/hate each) One ship leaves on Wed. and one Saturday - I don't know if that'd make much difference as far as numbers of people at the different ports (other cruise lines coming in at the same time). We needed round trip as we weren't flying in - so logistically round trip worked out best. Any thoughts as to one ship over another? We are looking at late June or Mid August. First Alaska trip. Thanks.

It seems like the scheduled stops are about the same -- Any advice on which is the best? I read reviews, but looks like a toss up. (Some love/hate each) One ship leaves on Wed. and one Saturday - I don't know if that'd make much difference as far as numbers of people at the different ports (other cruise lines coming in at the same time). We needed round trip as we weren't flying in - so logistically round trip worked out best. Any thoughts as to one ship over another? We are looking at late June or Mid August. First Alaska trip. Thanks.

We have been to Alaska on both those ships and love both of them. However they are considerably different experiences.

Zuiderdam is one of the newer classes of HAL ships, launched in 2002 and holding 1900 pax, the biggest they sail (although not quite in the "megaship" class.) She has all the newest amenities, a great big beautiful multi station buffet, a wonderful Thermal Suite and Hydropool, outdoor glass elevators, and large and beautiful public areas. She is wonderfully laid out so you never feel crowded, however. It is really quite a long walk from one end of the ship to the other. The balconies and suites are especially well laid out and located, I think.

Volendam is an older, smaller ship, launched in 1999 with 1400 pax, and has a nice intimate feel. It seems there is a better chance to get to know your cruisemates. The buffet, Thermal Suite, theater and so on are not as large and spectacular as the bigger ship but they are perfectly adequate. On our last cruise on Volendam we thought the crew was particularly friendly and attentive.

As far as the ships, you would enjoy your cruise to Alaska very much on either one of them.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.bully4.us/alaskaZ.html

and

http://www.bully4.us/volendam.html

However, you mentioned round trip, and I don't see either of those ships doing the round trip Seattle cruise -- for 2010 it is Oosterdam and Zaandam that are doing Seattle. The remarks above apply, because Oosterdam is the twin sister of Zuiderdam and Zaandam is the same class as Volendam.

Archived