Dietary Restrictions - Gluten Free/Peanut Allergy

Soonerbaby

Has anyone with dietary restrictions sailed on the Carnival Conquest? I am gluten free, one of the kids with us is allergic to peanuts. I know that we need to let the cruise line know ahead of time and inform our maitre'd. My question is, aside from foods that would typically be gluten free, do they make anything specifically gluten free, i.e., bread, cakes, etc?

Do a search-- Just found about 4 pages of Gluten-Free foods info

here's one to get you started.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1100383&highlight=gluten+free

A hostes will come everynight to confirm your menu for the next day. Bring some prepackaged sealed snacks as a just in case and for ports.

The kids clubs have an allergy form to fill out.

Our DD is allergic to all treenuts and peanuts and has never had a problem.

Also be aware that the "controls" are better in the Main Dining Room as opposed to the Lido deck.

I would use the same due diligence that you use when you take your family out of eat at a restaurant at home.

You are their first line of defense on the ship...just like at home.

Please take LHP's admonition to heart! Don't expect every server on the ship to know what ingredients are in the dishes before you. If you do go to the buffet, you need to know, or need to know to ask for the maitre'D, and not take the word of the crew member at the buffet. Pay attention too, to any "snacks" that might be set out somewhere.

For example, someone reported earlier on CC that their child had a severe peanut allergy, there was a bowl of some sort of other-than-snack food available so they offered that to the child, and she had a severe reaction. Why? No real answer .. maybe there were peanuts in the dish before the other snack; maybe the other snack was cooked in peanut oil; maybe the person who filled the dish had just filled another dish with peanuts.

The reporter was raging on about the bar tender.. "he should have KNOWN there were peanuts somewhere there!" to which I (and a lot of other posters responded) 'no..you shouldn't have taken a chance without YOU knowing for certain that the food was safe!"

Anyway, yes, do inform the cruise line early, talk to the folks who KNOW about these things and follow their guidelines, and be really careful everywhere else! :o

Has anyone with dietary restrictions sailed on the Carnival Conquest? I am gluten free, one of the kids with us is allergic to peanuts. I know that we need to let the cruise line know ahead of time and inform our maitre'd. My question is, aside from foods that would typically be gluten free, do they make anything specifically gluten free, i.e., bread, cakes, etc?

Just returned 2-14-10 from a trip on the Splendor. A friend of mine was on a Gluten Free diet. She had called Carnival in advance of the sailing, they in turn advised the Asst. Maitre'D who worked with her for each and every meal daily. They made alot of food for her specially, and they have only one type of bread that is Gluten Free. They made desserts specially (like the Baked Alaska) in its own dish without the cake bottom, they made flourless chocolate cake into the Melting cake for her etc. They did a fabulous job and she really ate nearly all the same food (but modified) as we did. Just be sure to set it up in advance.

Soonerbaby,

Welcome to cruise critic. I did not go on Conquest, but I did sail on Glory in 2008, one month after being diagnosed with Celiac. They were great. You are better off in the MDR bc they will accomodate you. The only time I did get sick from food was when I ate from the buffet when we first got on the ship. After that, everything was great. They made me bread every day, warm chocolate melting cake, french toast, eggs benedict sans the english muffin, and pasta. I have heard they can make pizza if you request day before. But I did not know that when on the ship. The hostess came to the table every night and went over the menu with me so I could pick what I wanted them to make for me. The cheesecake was naturally gluten-free also. I thought I would not eat much on this cruise bc of the celiac, but I actually gained 2 pounds. Not that I wanted to, LOL. They take very good care of you. I don't have experience with the peanut allergy, but they will do the same thing. Make sure they let camp carnival know. I would also suggest they don't let the child eat anything while at camp, just to be sure. You can eat at the buffet you just have to be more careful than I was when I eat my first meal there. I guess I was happy to be on the ship and didn't pay enough attention. You will have a great time and be well taken care of, rest assured. Enjoy!:)

I agree with the poster about child not eating at Camp C - there is not as much control there from what I have heard, even though they try very hard. Depending on how old your child is they have a lot of control themselves and understand their limitations and will have to take a lot of the responsibility. I am glad that your other issues were addressed so well.

Thank you all so much for your replies. It sounds like I may want to stay on the ship! :p It's hard to find ANY restaurant that is so accomodating, and very few restaurant personnel are knowledgeable enough about food allergies. I am very excited!

Archived