Cabo - Lovers Beach or Medano?

joejo

We have never been to Cabo and are unsure of what to do here. We were thinking of doing a boat tour and then hitting a beach. We will have 2 kids with us (4 and 11). Which is better, Lovers or Medano beach?

I understand that there are no restrooms or restaurants on Lovers but that it is somewhat swimmable. I've been told by a friend who recently land vacationed in Cabo (Dec '09), that Medano is steep and had very coarse sand.

TIA

Joanne & Joe,

Negotiate with a panga driver and go for a ride to Land's End and the arch. Then have the boat take you over to Medano, get off at the Office (beach bar) and walk over to the Pueblo Bonito Hotel (white) next to the Melia. The ride might be $4 each or so. You can nest there, use the pools and use the beach too. Just have a drink and order lunch there. While parts of Medano might be grainy, it is a very nice beach. You will have to jump over the bow of the panga to the beach so be prepared and Joe should go first and help the rest off the bow into the low surf. This will be a much better spot for you than trying to do Lover's Beach with no amenities and boats zipping all around if you try to swim or snorkel (very poor snorkeling). You can catch a ride back from the Office. Don't book a round trip as they never show up for the return. We have done this a dozen times. It is a very nice way to spend the day in Cabo.

You are right - Lovers Beach has no restrooms or restaurants. It is a stretch of beach reached by a water taxi that is between the rocks at "Los Arcos" you could probably do a search on webshots.com and see some pictures. If your kids are good without a restroom for an extended time it should be ok. It is definitely beautiful there but really just a strand of beach. Yes the sand is course on Medano Beach. When I walked on it it kind of hurt my feet as I like to walk on a beach barefoot. It definitely has more activity but I'm really not a fan. I've been to many beaches in the Caribbean and in Mexico and I didn't really enjoy walking on this beach. However, many do and there are many water sport type things you can do from there and restaurants lining the beach that will let you use their loungers, etc if you buy food or beverage. For me, it is the last place I would go in Cabo.

Lover's is small. Seems most only visit for a short while, unless you are naturalist hikers; then you can explore the entire land's end area.

Lovers beach below

IMG_7230.jpg

Medano has a variety with sights to see, and roped off swimming areas. Seems most folks stay for hours.

Medano Beach below

IMG_1096-1.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

We just got off the Splendor 8 days ago and hung out at Medano during our stop. We visited Lovers last year during a land vacation. There appeared to be a "quiet" section near the marina but we were in the middle of Medano at the Mango where all the action was. It resembled spring break but as a father of a 6 and 10 year old, it was not too far out of line. The kids spent most of the time in and out of the water and it was I did my share of swimming too. The sand is coarse and it gets washed away everytime the waves roll in so watch your balance. Non stop vendors and lot's of acccess to water activities. We had a blast but if you are looking for something more relaxing and quiet, Lovers is the place.

Lover's Beach is just a bunch of sand with nothing else. You can grab a water taxi and have them take you out by the arches for a little tour and drop you at Lover's Beach. When you're ready to leave just grab another water taxi and have them take you over to Medano. Medano is the only safe place to be in the water due to currents. There are resorts and restaurants all along Medano. Also rentals for jet skis and if you want to parasail you can find that too.

If you're more inclined to swim in a pool at a resort, check out posts on this board from Bob&Sofi. She has some great pictures posted.

Did we finally get to see a picture of Bob ??

Lover's is small. Seems most only visit for a short while, unless you are naturalist hikers; then you can explore the entire land's end area.

Lovers beach below

IMG_7230.jpg

Medano has a variety with sights to see, and roped off swimming areas. Seems most folks stay for hours.

Medano Beach below

IMG_1096-1.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

I can not comment on Lover's beach but just my experience with water taxi on Cabo to Medano Beach. Beware of someone approach you and said they will provide water taxi to Medano Beach. After you said yes, he will scramble looking for anyboat he could find as a middle man so he can get commission/this person do not own a boat, the thing is now he assume you sign a contract with him and will not let you go. Also since he getting a commission, he could ask for more per person and you are kinda stuck. My recommendation is walk just a bit more toward the mall and you can see place where they actually post how much it cost so you do not have to deal with these individuals. When i went last summer 2009, if you walk right after tender you will see sign said cost is 1.50 per person.

Which restaurant are you at in the bottom picture?

The Mango Deck on Medano Beach. Great view. One of many! We only go there for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres. Too much $$

(Hint: walk right past the waiter's trying to seat you at a table in the sand. The deck above is much better)

Here is a great Cabo dining list below

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g152515-s5/Cabo-San-Lucas:Mexico:Dining.Scene.html

IMG_1073.jpg

Most take a "feet wet" $3 per person water taxi to get to Medano Beach

IMG_3537b.jpg

We try to enjoy our main course at a local's taco stand with a seasoned butcher & block

IMG_3472a.jpg

Archived