Door decorations?

lastcall4all

Since I am so new to this, please tell me why some people decorate their cabin doors? Is it to be festive? Is it to find it easier? Does Carnival mind if you stick stuff on door and make you take it down? How do you stick stuff up & WHAT do you put on it? We will be traveling April 4-10 on the Freedom and I thought to make it easier for my two teen to find the room perhaps some springish stuff(flowers & such) if I can find out why and how. Thanks. Mitzie

1. cruise critic roll call contests

2. fun and festive way to celebrate vacation

3. make it easier to find your room after a few too many DOD's ( damn doors ALL look alike!)

4. help kids find their room.

I'm actually considering adding arrows near the elevators to help me. (oops.. I mean MINE) :rolleyes:

And no..they don't mind! I think they enjoy it, too!! ( But please be courteous and remove them before you leave)

what's the best way to keep the stuff up, on last cruise I used double side tape and they fell down the whole time so i ended up just taking them off but I was so disappointed. What's something good that really sticks? or do you just use magnets?

I hang decorations on our door for every cruise. For our December Spirit cruise I used Christmas ribbon to make the door look like a huge package. I hung a plastic sleeve with copies of a "The Night Before Christmas" themed poem that the author changed to a "The Night Before our Cruise" poem. I started with 50 copies of the poem and at the end of the cruise I had none left. I also create a "scrapbook" page that is hung in a sleeve. This page is a 12 x 12 sheet that reflects the reason/theme for our cruise. The December cruise was a Christmas theme of course, but it also mentioned that my husband reached Platinum status.

Our upcoming b2b Dream cruise is to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary - I will have the door decorated with wedding bells and a scrapbook page decorated for our anniversary.

I have seen many doors decorated with many different decorations - I have made a point to walk around and look at them. The most fun one was a door that was covered with white paper and a pouch with colored pencils. The notes that were left on the paper were very amusing to read. Even the staff added a few lines.

I use duct tape to keep everything on the door and I make a point of cleaning everything before I debark.

Since we live in Steeler Country I'm probably going to go with a black&gold steeler door as just suggested by my DH (in a sarcastic way since he realy doesn't think I will do it). LOOK for me everyone! Are people known to take things off other's doors? How do you duct tape items on a door? Loop over?

You can buy magnetic tape. It's a roll of flexible magnet that is sticky on one side and magnet on the other. Another good product is by Avery. They sell sheets of magnetic paper you can run through a computer printer and then cut out the "decals" that you make. I've used both on past cruises and both work very well. Just don't slam the door too hard.

Both these products are available on Amazon.com

Thanks a bunch! I WILL decorate my door. I'm sure my family will think I'm insane, but. . .they do already, so I'm sure they won't care. Do I need to join a ROLL CALL, if so, how do I do it?

If you are signed in,you can got to 'Roll Calls- members only'.. find your cruise line, then search the forum and find the date of your cruise. If you can't find one, then start one!!! Its a great way to meet folks before you cruise~

You can also add a 'countdown clock' to your signature to help count down the days. There is a link to click on at the top of the forum. Copy the text, and when you edit your signature, put it right in the 'message' box, rather than in the URL spot. Works much better. Just remember to save it before you exit the User CP!

I've always had good luck with double sided tape. Just don't put anything on your door you would be sad to lose. On our first cruise to celebrate our 35th Wedding Anniversary I found little champagne glasses in the $$ store and put them up with various anniversary decorations. Sadly, they disappeared. Now, I put up only things I don't really care about and buy a duplicate for my scrapbook.

I've decorated my door and cabin for the type of cruise we are on (Mexico, Caribbean, Hawaii, etc.) and for occasions/holidays. Our Panamanics Group had a Door decorating contest, we didn't get first place but won best attempt.

On our B2B in 2004 on Legend (Christmas week and New Year's week) one of our New Year's decorations went missing. Cabin Steward found it in the cabin 3 doors down from us which was occupied by 4 young men who were pigs :eek: he found it lying under a pile of clothes on the floor ........ our Steward loved us so he brought it back to us :D we re-hung it and waited for a response to it being back ....... nothing!

Just something to liven up our trip!

Door signs do make it easier to find you cabin. ;) If you are on the correct deck and correct side of the ship. :eek: We use magnets to hold things on the cabin walls inside our cabin. They disappear on the door. We used tape to hold our door sign.. We replaced our door sign after about four days because it was torn. :cool: I printed a couple of signs as back ups to put on the door.

we used blue painters tape to make sure it would come off. I just bought some retro flowers cling on decals at the party store and will use them. No tape needed for those.

I go with my family and we usually have 5-6 cabins, so we all decorated our doors to make it more festive and easy to find our cabin.

I didn't notice anyone elses doors done though!!

Last year I put up my Gator sign and my Steeler sign.....both of my teams won their championships!!!!

Yeah...that's what I want to see on a ship! A bunch of stuff hanging on the outside of doors. Really gives it a classy feel.

Bah Hum Bug...there's one in every crowd!

3M makes double sided sticky stuff that works great for sticking stuff to the door. You can even hang something from your mail slot beside your door.

It makes it easy to find your room and other CC members can find you easily.

I am a divorced man who travels with my three teenage children. I am not into arts and crafts and such, so I don't door decorate. That being said, I think that the decorated doors that I have seen are cool, clever, and indictitive of people wanting to enjoy their vacation in every way. Don't let the naysayers stop you. It is YOUR vacation!

We decorated the interior of the cabin and the outside of the door the night before my DS's 6th birthday. Carnival wanted $35 to decorate. We did it for $7. We used streamers, balloons, and a birthday banner for the inside. The door was 2 balloons and a large multi-colored gift bow that looked like I had spent an hour curling long ribbons. We used regular clear gift wrap tape. Everything held tight even when our balcony door and front door were open at the same time which, if you've never experienced this, is quite a 'rush'! We cleaned up everything the night before debarkation.

Two funny things-the balloons kept rearranging themselves into what looked like ladies breasts (never knew if they had nightly help or if it was gravity assist;)). Second, I choose to clean up first before we packed our suitcases which caused us to put them out about 10 minutes past the midnight deadline. If you have ever wondered whether they mean it when they say have your suitcases out between 8p-12a, they do indeed mean it. Made for one ugly 'self-assist'!

Waving Hi to Lorna!

We were on the Panama Canal/Repositioning cruise with Lorna and family. Great cruise! But I digress.

Why decorate your door?

As previously mentioned, we had a contest going.

Makes it easier to locate your door.

How do you attach your decorations? We used the putty and it worked very well.

Our theme was where you are from: We live near the Biggest Little City in the world and thus the decoration we had made. Now we went a little overboard (pun intended) but it was sure fun putting it together.

Here's our door from the Pride and hoping to take it on the next cruise as well.

2456217710103584906S600x600Q85.jpg

For our last cruise, I found some removable call outs and other stuff at big lots. It is the type of stuff kids can use for decorating their school lockers. Went up very easy and came down just as easy, left no mess at all for the crew to have to deal with! Our was either chalk board or dry erase. They only cost $3 a package. Worked great as we knew were our cabin was and others in our group, we were able to leave messages for each other, my Uncle got along so well with his cabin Steward that they wrote to each other that way! Even a simple message of shh...baby sleeping went a long way! We actually noticed that other paxs walking by at the time would quiet down their conversations! though we just wanted the teen that was stayin in the cabin to be quiet when she came in. So why decorate...because it is fun, can help you find the cabin and even be used as a way of communication between fellow paxs.

• 9 months later...
what's the best way to keep the stuff up, on last cruise I used double side tape and they fell down the whole time so i ended up just taking them off but I was so disappointed. What's something good that really sticks? or do you just use magnets?

Duct tape works and it comes off easy. That's what we always use.

I hang decorations on our door for every cruise. The December cruise was a Christmas theme of course, but it also mentioned that my husband reached Platinum status..

I always decorate our door too and next month will be my Platinum cruise and I was wondering if you had any good ideas on how I could decorate my door. I was thinking of getting a lot of silver items since it's the same color as platinum and decorating that way. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Archived