Is Capt Bryan Buccaneer a "party" boat?

01Sweetpea

We are looking at the Buccaneer for our GC sting ray/snorkel trip in July. Since it's the only catamaran with a cash bar does it become a "party" boat... ie alot of drunk people? We are leaning towards the Buccaneer because of the cash bar, but for our kids sake, in case they want something to dring other than water.

Can anyone give me their experiences with this? Thanks!

We're doing the 10:30-1:30 Buccaneer excursion in late February with our children. I'm not worried about it being a "booze boat," given the "let's get drunk a.s.a.p." crowd will still be on the ship, just waking up after partying till 2am the prior night,....

We're doing the 10:30-1:30 Buccaneer excursion in late February with our children. I'm not worried about it being a "booze boat," given the "let's get drunk a.s.a.p." crowd will still be on the ship, just waking up after partying till 2am the prior night,....

Hi Mickey! If you remember, after your cruise could you post a quick review of your experience on the Buccaneer w/kids? We have them booked for our trip over Easter and will have our 9 & 11 year old kids with us. Thanks! :D

• 1 month later...
Hi Mickey! If you remember, after your cruise could you post a quick review of your experience on the Buccaneer w/kids? We have them booked for our trip over Easter and will have our 9 & 11 year old kids with us. Thanks! :D

Just back.

Our excursion on the Buccaneer was about as smooth and pleasureable as these things get.

After tendering ashore, we had almost an hour to kill, so we wandered around the shops with our kids until a little before 10. Then did the four-five minute walk over to the English Bakery, and checked in with the Captain Bryan's staff out back. By 10:15, we were on a bus for the short ride to the marina. As others have noted, there is still massive hurrican damage evident the further youget out of town. Some open eareas literally looked like they had been gone over by a giant lawnmower.

Our group had around 25-30 people (only a few kids), but the Buccaneer didn't seem unreasonably crowded as we boarded and set sail. Crew then came around and fitted my wife and I with fins (we brought along our own masks and snorkels; our kids had their complete snorkeling sets with them).

Cody the videographer then came around and took some above water shots of everyone. On the way out, the boat motored due to the wind being against us.

First stop was stingray sandbar. There were four other boats there, but each was separated by at least 100-150 yards so it didn't feel crowded. The boat dropped it's anchor, and into the water everyone went. The crew immediately attracted rays, which were soon swarming us. Crew members let people cradle and kiss one for photos and video, and after about 15 minutes of more fun with the rays (which inlcudes squid to feed them), we were back aboard and sailing to the "garden," the first snorkeling stop.

This was a a tounge and spur reef in about 8 feet of water, with parts of the coral rising almost to the surface. Water was slightly choppy but swimable; our kids had no problems in it. Decent variety of coral and marine life (lots of tang and parrotfish). We were in the aetr for about 15 minutes here.

Last stop was the "barrier" reef; slightly deeper and with much larger variety of fish. We literally had to drag our kids out when it was time to go after about 25 minutes. EVery time we left the water, the crew was very helpful with us handing them fins so the kids could climb aboard easily (I always amused at virgin snorkelers who never think to take the fins OFF before getting back on board).

On return trip, sails were raised and bar was opened. My wife got the kids some sodas, and the videographer came around and let everyone look (through his LCD screen on the camcorder) some of the video he'd shot. We (and I think about 10 other parties on board) sprung for the $65 DVD, which is mailed to you in 4-5 weeks.

Arriving back at the marina, we were quickly bussed back to the cruise tender area in Georgetown, arriving right at the scheduled time of 1:45.

Any other questions, let me know!!!

A couple questions about the Buccaneer please:

Is there a bathroom on board?

Do they have fins available that would fit the kids?

How much were the drinks?

We have two boys about the same age. Glad you had a great time!

Thanks for any info!

Mikey - how much time do you think you had after the tour before you had to tender back to the Miracle? Trying to decide when to do a little shopping before or after the excursion.

Thanks!

I also did this trip last week - we were alone, but I would not hesitate to take my kids on it. Definitely not a "party" boat, although they do crank up the music while sailing back in. I think we had a couple of red stripe beers for less than they cost on the ship.

We did the Bucaneer two weeks ago with my boys who are 7, 9 and 11. They all had their own gear, but the ship does provide childrens gear I beleive.

the crew was very helpful with the kids, and it was NOT a party boat at all. There were about 30 people on our trip, but still plenty of room. There was a groan from one group when they found out that the bar wasn't open until after all the stops, but everyone else seemed fine with it.

I've been on a few different snorkeling tours in the past, and the leader of this one was the best ever, he lured a giant morey eel out by feeding it, and interacted with it, it was really amazing. He seemed to really enjoy his job!

We also bought the DVD and got it within 2 weeks. The woman who took the video was great to talk to too.

Archived