Dolphin Royal Swim, Cozumel

dancing

I have decided to do the Dolphin Royal Swim and want my husband to go with me. As he doesn't swim very well he is not so sure about this. I know you have a life vest on but how deep is the water and what are the basic differences with doing the royal swim versus the encounter? Thanks

PS I am in my late 50's and he is in his early 60's. We are both very active though.

He will have a huge life jacket on, so obviously drowning won't be a problem, but he may get a lot of water in his face (which really discombobulates some folks) when he is being towed through the water by the dolphins. If this would bother him, then he shouldn't do the swim.

Kerry

If he can swim out into the middle of the area with a life vest he should be fine. In order to participate with the dolphin tricks he will need to be able to get out to the area where the dolphins will start the tricks.

I have decided to do the Dolphin Royal Swim and want my husband to go with me. As he doesn't swim very well he is not so sure about this. I know you have a life vest on but how deep is the water and what are the basic differences with doing the royal swim versus the encounter? Thanks

PS I am in my late 50's and he is in his early 60's. We are both very active though.

Hi!

My girlfriend did this during the 12/10 Panama Canal cruise on the Coral. It was the highlight of her cruise!

The basic difference is that you and a couple of other participants and a trainer actually swim with two dolphins, are towed through the water by them, are pushed through the air by them, kissed by them, "dance" with them etc.

I think the encounter is only a session with a larger group where you get to pet a dolphin and perhaps have a little more interaction.

If you can, opt for the swim!

The difference between the "Royal" Swim and the Encounter is that with the Royal Swim, you get to do tricks with the dolphins in the water with them such as a foot push and a dorsal fin tow and free swim time with them at the end.We noticed that the people doing the encounter in the other pen were made to stay on the platform and only got to pet them and got a dolphin kiss, which we also got.If you want the full experience, do the Royal Swim, you won't regret it and I think the difference in price is only 10 dollars more.:)

We participated in the Dolphin Swim in Cozumel a few years ago, it wasnt' called a "Royal" swim at that time. I swim VERY little and am terrified of going in water over my head, they put you in life vests but I think they said the water was about 8 feet deep, they had to go diving when someone lost their false teeth during one of the tricks (which made for a great video).

Tell your husband he shouldn't miss this opportunity. This was our favorite cruise memories of all time! My husband didn't go and opted to golf instead he regrets not going everytime he sees our pictures and videos. My girls just did a dolphin trainer for a day excursion in PV which was also great.

Archived