formal night alternative

kaj1436

Oh no, formal night is still there. 1 night on 3-5 night cruises and 2 nights on longer trips.

The OP was simply asking if they didn't want to get "dressed up" for dinner in the MDR, what the food alternitives were. Specifically was there anywhere to get lobster but the MDR.

Formal nights were eliminated over a year ago. Carnival has elegant nights.

Steve actually Royal Carribbean, Norwegian, and Princess cruiselines would fit the same mold as Carnival, some not even measuring up. I've been on them and don't see any difference except the price. I see your snide comments on this board all the time and wonder why you participate here.

I respect your choice. Please give me the same courtesy.

We cruise because we enjoy it. We don't enjoy dressing up, so we won't. We won't look offensive, but don't feel the need to "follow tradition". Simple as that.

BTW - I'll be the one in the bikini on "elegant" night :)

Who said anything about it not fitting my lifestyle? It was just a question. Geez!! I thought that's was what these forums were for? Thank you to those who have answered my question.

No dress up required anymore, only suggestions. Jeans even work now. Lots of posters on CC can't accept that fact.

If you want to dress up on those specified nights-go for it - I do. If not, don't. It is your vacation. You certainly won't offend me, and I am on vacation too. You spent the money, so enjoy your cruise as you want to. Have a good one.

KAj.....

What only 1 person has told you and it took 18 post's is that Formal nights have been eliminated fleetwide over a year ago.

The old dress code is gone and there is a new code that even allows dress shorts everynight except on a nights they delegate as an "Elegant dress". Even on those nights dress pants and a shirt is acceptable.

They do not even look at kids so they can wear shorts everynight,as there really is no dress code.

Those that want to perpetuate the dress up game,look at me,look at me are welcome to do so. Remember,this is the walmart:) of the seas cruiseline.

Steve

Welcome to Walmart:)

Now thats funny!

You are so right. You merely asked a simple question.

In answer to your question, you don't have to "dress up" for formal/elegant night. I have seen men in open collar shirts and slacks or nice polo shirt and dark slacks who looked fine. I've seen ladies in slacks and a nice top or nice dress (doesn't have to be a gown or even a cocktail dress) and they looked the part too.

Mostly, I think that as long as you avoid wearing jeans, t-shirt, shorts, flip flops, beach-type sundresses etc, you'll be just fine.

This was definitely my experience June 2009...Paradise 4 Day..everyone looked fine and fit in...if ladies were just too exhausted they had a necklace or scarf as per your comments etc. Be presentable...do what you want!!!:)

Actually, if you want lobster and don't wish to dress up, AND your ship has a supper club, just go on the non Elegant nights. The only nights they require a jacket is Elegant night, so the other nights, you can dress casually and get that lobster.

However, you will be charged $30 pp, but it is a REAL cold water MAINE lobster, as opposed to what they serve in the MDR.

I think the best you can get on the room service menu is a BLT.

Taking notes..good to know and verify...four tiny bites of my lobster in June was not enough!!!

I found the BLT's terrific....but sure would be great to get that lobster from room service!!!

Steve actually Royal Carribbean, Norwegian, and Princess cruiselines would fit the same mold as Carnival, some not even measuring up. I've been on them and don't see any difference except the price. I see your snide comments on this board all the time and wonder why you participate here.

I would have to disagree with you. Princess is part of CCL corp. so they do not warrant further discussion. The other two do not compare to CCL. CCL offers a decent product at a decent price for the masses.They have a very succesfull business model and they remain profitable just like Walmart:). Its amazing that RCI is even still floating and NCL does not have much black ink either.

Walmart:) is great.

You mentioned in another post about following cruise traditions????

So let me ask you a question. In following cruise traditions do you remove all the auto tips and tip in cash the traditional way?

Steve

Actually, if you want lobster and don't wish to dress up, AND your ship has a supper club, just go on the non Elegant nights. The only nights they require a jacket is Elegant night, so the other nights, you can dress casually and get that lobster.

However, you will be charged $30 pp, but it is a REAL cold water MAINE lobster, as opposed to what they serve in the MDR.

I was under the impression that the lobster tail that came with the surf 'n turf was a cold water tail, but the big 12 oz. tail ordered as an entree was a warm water tail, same type as served in the MDR (albeit an awful lot bigger!)

I would have to disagree with you. Princess is part of CCL corp. so they do not warrant further discussion. The other two do not compare to CCL. CCL offers a decent product at a decent price for the masses.They have a very succesfull business model and they remain profitable just like Walmart:). Its amazing that RCI is even still floating and NCL does not have much black ink either.

Walmart:) is great.

Why not choose a company that doesn't sell junk. Walmart sells junk. Is that the only business model you know? It's quite laughable. Are you a greeter?

Why not choose a company that doesn't sell junk. Walmart sells junk. Is that the only business model you know? It's quite laughable. Are you a greeter?

So does Target,Kohls,Homedepot,Lowes, and Kmart sell junk also?

It really does not matter what they sell,they show a profit and have captured the US market. Do you even know how to read a balance sheet or have even seen one? Why don't you give us a company that has the greater USA share of the market selling a product to a an average consumer (the greater masses) and is profitable year after year if you can. Check Forbes list and you will see Walmart is in the top 10 in almost all catagories. The Gas companies are the most profitable, but Year after year they are not.

Wal-Mart Stores

on the Forbes Global 2000 2009 Rank: 8 spacer_clear.gif

2008 Rank: 16

Sales Rank:

Profits Rank:

Assets Rank:

Market Value:

Steve

So does Target,Kohls,Homedepot,Lowes, and Kmart sell junk also?

It really does not matter what they sell,they show a profit and have captured the US market. Do you even know how to read a balance sheet or have even seen one? Why don't you give us a company that has the greater USA share of the market selling a product to a an average consumer (the greater masses) and is profitable year after year if you can.

That's why? Profit? Sorry, walmart sells junk, and Carnival sells vacations. I don't see any comparison.

No one else buys it. Only YOU make this comparison.

Ok, so no more formal night, now it is elegant night. Dress for elegant night is slacks/shirt or better, is that correct. Is there a dress code the other nights or are jeans/shorts/tshirts/etc. ok? Thanks.

On a Fantasy Class June 2009 Cruise, Casual Elegant still meant more people dressed above slacks/shirt basics. As I stated in earlier post; that type of dress would be fine. Many folks dressed well for photos and all.

I saw dress dockers/ shorts and nice polos etc. for guys and capri's etc. for women as the average on the other nights.

This was a 4 night cruise. Personally, I did not see t-shirts or jeans i.e. printed super casual t-shirts or worn jeans in dining room any night. Folks are just more casual those nights. People looked like they dressed with some care for the dining room. My 2 cents.

Ok, so no more formal night, now it is elegant night. Dress for elegant night is slacks/shirt or better, is that correct. Is there a dress code the other nights or are jeans/shorts/tshirts/etc. ok? Thanks.

On a Fantasy Class June 2009 Cruise, Casual Elegant still meant more people dressed above slacks/shirt basics. As I stated in earlier post; that type of dress would be fine. Many folks dressed well for photos and all.

I saw dress dockers/ shorts and nice polos etc. for guys and capri's etc. for women as the average on the other nights.

This was a 4 night cruise. Personally, I did not see t-shirts or jeans i.e. printed super casual t-shirts or worn jeans in dining room any night. Folks are just more casual those nights. People looked like they dressed with some care for the dining room. My 2 cents.

This was a 4 night cruise. Personally, I did not see t-shirts or jeans i.e. printed super casual t-shirts or worn jeans in dining room any night. Folks are just more casual those nights. People looked like they dressed with some care for the dining room. My 2 cents. :)

That's why? Profit? Sorry, walmart sells junk, and Carnival sells vacations. I don't see any comparison.

No one else buys it. Only YOU make this comparison.

Walmart is the most profitable retailer,so is CCL

Walmart holds the largest market share for its goods/products so does CCL

Walmart is the largest in the world,so is CCL

Walmart offers an affordable product,so does CCL.

Walmart has a great business model,so does CCL

Walmart continues to be profitable every year,so does CCL.

Your right, there is no comparison.:rolleyes:

Steve

Archived