Limon, Costa Rica ??

jsd4224

Costa Rica is famous for eco tours. I will suggest that you go on a rain forest or river cruise tour rather than simply wandering at the port. If you don't want to take a cruise shore excursion, you can find a private tour operator. You can find plenty of information searching this board.

We just got back from the Zuiderdam that stopped in Limon. It is not a nice place, but there is a large tented area with stalls selling coffee and teak wood products right next to the ship. The town is ugly and only a few blocks long - the highlight is the Pizza Hut. It is a great port to either stay on the ship or take an excursion. We took a tour of a banana plantation, followed by a cruise on the Tortuega Canal, followed by a train ride - you can skip the train ride, but the cruise was fun. Many people took a ride on an ariel tram, but it was a 2 hour drive in each direction- however, most seemed to enjoy it.

The last time we were in Limon was about 10 years ago and the potato farmers went on strike and barricaded the road. Many tour buses were on the wrong side of the barricade after it went up and they were stuck until almost 10pm. At least they were on ship's excursions, so the ship waited for them.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was the Costa Rica board.

In Limon there is nothing to do, very dirty and poor. You need to get out into the country to see the beauty. We used Oscar Brown. He will customize a tour for your group. We really liked him and he gave us a heck of a tour.

• 1 month later...

We took a tour that included a banana plantation tour and a brief visit to the banana processing plant. We also got to sample some mini-bananas on our way to the banana plantation. Yum! After the banana plantation, we took a canal boat ride to see wildlife mentioned above. We also took a short train ride and saw some howler monkeys and a couple more sloths. It was a good excursion, and included a stop for fruit sampling and some beverages. We were back at the ship in time for lunch and then went back out to the marketplace (a short walk from the ship) to shop for a bit. The vendors here will negotiate a bit on price. We bought coffee for gifts, which the coffee drinkers in my family tell me is very good (we're not coffee drinkers :)).

• 3 months later...

Just booked with Eduardo at your lucky tours excellent customer service already. Eduardo is great, he personalized a tour just for us. So excited. We aree going to the cahuita national park and a sloth sanctuary

Limon is definitely not a place I would wander around in...maybe the block or two closest to the ship, but that's it. Those of you who are wondering about Oscar Brown tours....don't do it. He used to be very good from what I hear on this board, but if you check tripadvisor and this board now...it's bad. Just my 2 cents....

• 1 month later...

We used Greenway Tours in Costa Rica. The tour we selected took us to the zipline which was awesome and our guide got us in and out very quickly. We also floated the canals which was nice since you got see wildlife (monkeys, sloths, etc.). He also made a stop by the banana plantation which I thought would be boring but it was quite interesting to see what they do with the bananas before they get to the U.S. We had snacks and drinks (beer also) on the bus while we were riding to the different activities. The cost of this was very reasonable and so much cheaper than what the ship was charging for something similar. Check out my review of the Carnival Freedom for more information about the ship and the other stops we made if you want.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

We did a zipline tour, then spent a few hours wandering around town. Really enjoyed meeting some of the locals and found a great place (forgot the name) to grab a quick, lite lunch. Absolutely loved Limon and would not hesitate to return. Definitely not a "touristy" place, which is what I loved about it.

Archived