What do Do ... Cruise in at 9am @ Long Beach but flight home is at midnight

sassenach.girl

We are cruising Carnival in August arriving back in Long Beach at 9am(ish) on the Sunday morning. Our flight home to Australia from LAX isn't until midnight that night and we will have all our luggage and 2 little girls.

Any suggestions on what to do until flight time? Or where we could store our luggage while we explored Long Beach? We could book a hotel for the night and just not use it that night, but most don't allow check in until 4pm, which leaves us either stranded for the day ... or having to book two nights accomodation just to get a hotel for the day.

Welcome any ideas!

Thanks

Kylie

Aquarium of the Pacific offers short term luggage storage--and lots of kid friendly exhibits. Small easy to see. A few other things to see in the general area.

Or--rent a car and drive to Disneyland or Knott's Berry Farm or the Santa Monica Pier.

LOL about the lorikeets since they are native to the OP's area, Queensland. I agree it's a good exhibit and maybe a better look at them than OP has at home.

Sort of reminds me of a trip to Japan. The tour stopped at a cactus garden and it was a big deal over there. Of course cacti grow like weeds around here!

If you can store your luggage at the Aquarium, that's great. Then you can take the Passport Bus (Big Red Bus) along the coast to Belmont Shore or Naples...which are part of Long Beach. Naples has canals like venice. You can walk around or even rent little electric boats by the hour. Belmont Shore is a cute beachside community....shops, restaurants, and lots of beach to walk on and beach comb.

Also, there is a water taxi called Aqua Link ...It's a big yellow catamaran which is the best deal in LB. http://www.lbtransit.com/Services/Aqualink.aspx For $4 or $5 you can ride it to Alamitos Bay Landing, which is the east end of LB. The ride is great and you get to see LB from the water. This website lists things to do, and info for Aqua Bus as well.

Also, there is Shoreline Village with shops, food and kid stuff across the water from the Queen Mary. Another water taxi ( a small red one called Aqua Bus) will take you across for $1. It stops at Queen Mary, Aquarium, Shoreline Village and a few hotels.

I grew up in LB but now live in Colorado. When I go back to visit family I always ride the Aqua Link!! Enjoy your day in LB....I believe Pine Street and the area around the harbour may provide things to do also.

Archived