Hotel Traiano Civitavecchia

shoesonfire

We are arriving around 1 p.m. 5/14/2010, a day early for our cruise, and have booked a room at Hotel Traiano in Civitavecchia to rest up. I've read fairly good reviews of this hotel and are planning to use their pick-up shuttle service when we arrive at FCO. We see and accept that most transfers from FCO to port are fairly expensive, however, we are hoping that other Hotel guests will be sharing the transfer cost. My questions are: How reliable is this hotel shuttle service?? Should we prepare another option in the event the hotel shuttle service doesn't show up?? How likely will we find others going from FCO to the port (mid day) to share the cost? Thanks!

We are arriving around 1 p.m. 5/14/2010, a day early for our cruise, and have booked a room at Hotel Traiano in Civitavecchia to rest up. I've read fairly good reviews of this hotel and are planning to use their pick-up shuttle service when we arrive at FCO. We see and accept that most transfers from FCO to port are fairly expensive, however, we are hoping that other Hotel guests will be sharing the transfer cost. My questions are: How reliable is this hotel shuttle service?? Should we prepare another option in the event the hotel shuttle service doesn't show up?? How likely will we find others going from FCO to the port (mid day) to share the cost? Thanks!

I would definietly have a Plan "B". And go to your roll call for that sailing and see if any others are planning to stay at Hotel Traiano too and might be interested in sharing the cost. Others have posted that they used this method and had no problems, but it's better to at least have information for an alternative.

Have a great trip!

We have stayed at the Hotel twice and they picked us up twice. I code their hotel phone number into my cell phone in case I cannot find the driver.

The first time we used them, I had to call. It was a "mad house" at the airport and while he was there, I could not find him. The phone call worked and we connected. The second time, about 4 months ago I saw him in the crowd holding a sign with our name.

As a precaution, I also carry the hotel name and address on me in case of a mix-up and I need to hire a taxi.

But it worked fine both previous times. They charge for the pickup service.

Thank you, its good to hear the hotel is reliable with their pick up service. I didn't think about using my cell phone in Italy, don't have international calls, but I guess we should look into a temporary international service just in case. Really appreciate your info.

Shoesonfire:

Here's where to find the driver of the hotel van. After you pass through all the various customs and passport checks, you will get your luggage. As you leave the baggage claim area you will go through some glass doors. There is a large waiting room right as you pass through those doors. You will see a crowd of people waiting to pick up passengers. Many drivers line up holding signs as does the Hotel. Look carefully for your name. It can be daunting finding your name in the crowd.

If your phone is ATT or T-Mobile it's easy to get a short term plan and or make calls in Europe. Ask your carrier. Chances are you will not need it.

The hotel will provide a free ride to the ship the next day. Be sure to sign up when you check in at the hotel. They gave us a ticket/confirmation paper for the transfer to the pier.

Thanks so much for the info! It helps to alleviate our concerns about not meeting the hotel van driver and possibly having to scramble around and take the train or pay a possibly higher cost for taxi. We are planning to check our mobile service (Sprint) and hopefully arrange for some temporary international service just in case we need it!

Thanks for advising to get confirmation at check in for the free transfer the morning of cruise too! Did you find the hotel met your needs? Also, did you find a good place for dinner? We see on the CC posts that a restaurant named Aqua was recommended. Its really great having a traveler's experience to help plan and enjoy a future trip. Thank you all so much.

shoesonfire'

Glad I can help. Since Sprint (like Verizon) uses CDMA the phone will not work in Europe. Verizon has a free program where they will lend you a phone for Europe and calls are from about 99 to 1.29 cents per minute. See what Sprint can do. Hopefully you will not need the phone. Just keep the Hotel name and address on you in case of an emergency and you need to take a taxi. Be sure the hotel knows your incoming flight plans. FYI, we took the 10:30AM free shuttle to the ship.

As for the hotel we stayed there twice. It's really a typical European 3 star hotel. It's on a quiet side street about a 10 to 12 minutes walk to the main part of town. They have a tiny lobby, but nice breakfast room. If you arrive at the hotel early enough from the airport you can get a free snack or two and free espresso. The hotel had clean rooms and good A/C. They have hard beds though. There is a small grocery store about 3 blocks down the one way street towards the center of town. They close mid day.

We ate at Aqua both times we stayed at the hotel. Why? Most restaurants do not open until 7:30PM or later. Aqua opens early, about 6:00PM. It will be empty if you go early but the food is very good. They have a nice patio in the back and the owner speaks perfect English. Anyone else you see eating will also be taking a cruise. To get there go down the one way street towards town. About 10 blocks or so. Turn left at the bottom. Walk another 6 to 7 blocks. Takes about 15 to 18 minutes walk total. If you give me your e-mail I can send you a full sized one page pdf I have of a map showing the hotel and Aqua.

Hope this helps.

95580971_aquarestaurantandhotelmap.jpg.8334da774a0980a755de2a81de9c5a9f.jpg

Fblack: Your comments are so helpful. Its good to hear first hand that you had a good experience at the hotel and enjoyed the time you spent in port at dinner, etc. I've printed out your replies for reference and hopefully won't have any problems getting to the hotel either. We are looking forward to relaxing at Hotel Traiano before we venture onto a wonderful cruise.

Thank goodness for Cruise Critic forums. Its great having the kind of response you've posted.

Archived