First Time Questions...Transfers/Timing

Becca76

A friend and I are looking at a November Disney cruise for our first ever cruise. She is a single mom with a then 3 1/2 year old. I love Disney and thought this would be the best for him to be entertained also.

As this is my first time, if we were to come in to Orlando the day before and stay at WDW, what time would we catch the transfer to port? Also, how early could we reasonably (don't want to miss flights by pushing it) book our return flight?

On another subject, can the kids stay on board at the clubs during a port? I know he will enjoy some activities, but thought maybe the adults could do some snorkeling or some such if he wasn't with us for that part.

Should we put this off a few years until he is older? Will a 3 1/2 year old really enjoy this?

Thanks for any and all comments.

A friend and I are looking at a November Disney cruise for our first ever cruise. She is a single mom with a then 3 1/2 year old. I love Disney and thought this would be the best for him to be entertained also.

As this is my first time, if we were to come in to Orlando the day before and stay at WDW, what time would we catch the transfer to port? Also, how early could we reasonably (don't want to miss flights by pushing it) book our return flight?

On another subject, can the kids stay on board at the clubs during a port? I know he will enjoy some activities, but thought maybe the adults could do some snorkeling or some such if he wasn't with us for that part.

Should we put this off a few years until he is older? Will a 3 1/2 year old really enjoy this?

Thanks for any and all comments.

Most transfers from WDW board around 12:00 to 12:30 and arrive at the port around 2 p.m.

You need to be out of your room by 8 a.m. I think and off the ship by 9:30 or very close to that and figure 1 hour to OIA from the port, plus security and check in, I would say 11:00 a.m. or later for a flight back but to be safe I really would think noon or later, in case of heavy traffic or some kind of delay, they can happen.

Our flight was 11:00 a.m. and we had no problems but i did stress a bit hoping of no delays.

Kids can stay on board if they are adjusted to the clubs and do well in there. Because the counselors have NO way to reach you if the child wants his parent while they are gone. So usually its the older kids who are left not little ones. But you can do it.

As far as the right time to take him well everyone will have a different opinion on that.

Some will say wait until he is 5 so he will remember the cruise and be able to do more on board.

Others will say to see their child have a good time makes it worth taking them at an early age. In that case you are building memories for the mom not the child and I see no problem with that.

I had my grandson on the Magic at age 18 months and I wouldnt have changed that trip for anything. He woke up with a smile and stayed that way all day long. He loved the nursery for playtime, also the Mickey ear for water play of course now they have a splash area for toddlers which is much better.

He loved the stage shows and was quiet through the entire show. He was afraid of the characters but that was ok, we stood back and watched them. He also loved during the day to sit in the giant port hole windows by the clubs to watch the ocean.

He remembers nothing of it now but his parents and grandparents have memories of a life time. Now that he is older we will go again and this time he will have his own memories and we will have more new memories.

Biggest thing about taking alittle one is to keep a schedule as close ot the home schedule for naps. It is so easy to want to go do something instead of sit in the room for him to nap but for the best trip let him nap.

Take this time to read a book or sit on deck 4 in a padded lounge chair and let him sleep in the chair next to you so you can enjoy the ocean view. Deck 4 is the jogging deck and shuffleboard but many go there to nap and read books.

Good luck with your decision

I think Disney is a great option for a child that age. The PP gave a lot of good advice. I personally would not schedule a flight out of MCO prior to 12:30 but I am very cautious in this regard. The thought of missing a flight scares me.:eek: As many will tell you, earlier flights usually work.

Archived