Pinel Island

sue7045

We stopped at Pinel Island on our Captain's Alan's tour. It was a really nice beach with soft sand, calm, clear, shallow water. We ate at the restaurant right there on the beach. We sat at a table outdoors. The food was delicious. My husband had Grilled Tuna and I had BBQ Ribs. Both of our meals were delicious. It came with a side of saffron rice with stewed tomatoes & onions and they served a basket of french bread with 2 different kinds of olive oil spread (one garlicy & one spicy). My mouth still waters for those ribs. I would definitely go back there when we had more time to chill on the nice beach and enjoy the calm water there.

Sue, we were there last month, three bars/restaurants, each one with different colored umbrellas. We paid $15.00 for two chairs, umbrella and two drinks (just small drinks). We stopped at the second one with orange umbrellas.

We had a great time at Pinel Island, very peaceful, not crowded, we were the only ship in port. Would go back.

Rick.

• 2 weeks later...

We went there a couple of years ago and it was very nice, low key and relaxing. The only issue we had was, our taxi driver, who we'd asked to pick us up at a certain time, was a no show. There didn't seem to be taxis loitering near the ferry dock for fares. We had to hitch a ride with another group whose cab did come back for them.

The only issue we had was, our taxi driver, who we'd asked to pick us up at a certain time, was a no show. There didn't seem to be taxis loitering near the ferry dock for fares. We had to hitch a ride with another group whose cab did come back for them.

We are planning on going to Pinel in a couple of weeks when we arrive on the Miracle. The day we are in port there are six other boats :eek:

We have a bit of a concern about not getting our taxi driver to come back and get us if the port is so busy. Is this something we should worry about? We figured if we offered they a little extra when they return, we might increase our chance of them showing up. We have never had this problem of a driver not showing up in any of the other ports we have cruised.

Pinel Island is now one of our favourite places in the Caribean! We were there in January, it was peaceful and quiet, the beach and water is perfect and no one hounds you for drinks or trinkets. Two years earlier we went to Orient Beach (which you can see in the distance from Pinel) loved it, had lots of fun especially if you like big waves and lots of water sports.

Pinel is quiet and has a very European feel to it -you can snorkel and kyak.

We took a cab right from the Port for $25 and were on the Island by 10:30 (good time) it took about a half hour - then a $7 boat ride (5min.) to the Island. Our cab driver was back for us right on time - no Problems and well worth it! Enjoy

attachment.php?attachmentid=148672&stc=1&d=1267757195

084.jpg.db1210d57f71fd90d491e213c199f158.jpg

I know people have asked before about kyaking over, but in searching the forums, I can't find a reply. We love to kayak, and since we are arriving in port at 8:00 and there are 7 boats in port, we thought we might try and get off the boat early and head on over to Pinel, but with the ferry not starting until 10:00, we would be limited.

So, could you kayak over and if so how long would it take?

I'm not aware of a ferry going from the port directly to Pinel. Since we had a half hour +/- taxi ride there I imagine Kyaking there would be quite the adventure........unless there is a closer/ alternative port in St. Maarten??

I know people have asked before about kyaking over, but in searching the forums, I can't find a reply. We love to kayak, and since we are arriving in port at 8:00 and there are 7 boats in port, we thought we might try and get off the boat early and head on over to Pinel, but with the ferry not starting until 10:00, we would be limited.

So, could you kayak over and if so how long would it take?

I do not think Susy understood your question.......

I do not think you could kayak there because there is nowhere to rent kayaks where the ferry runs. Another alternative is to take a taxi to orient beach and have the people who rent jet skis take you over there. They will prob charge $20 or so. The jet skis are large enough for 3 people as well. If I remember correctly, the people who rent jet skis right next to Pedro's will do it.

Last month the booth to the left of the Pinel ferry dock was renting kayaks, along with snorkel gear. I have no idea the cost or restriction.

Ok good to know, last time we went to Pinel was 10 years ago and nothing was there. We have only been to Orient on recent trips. Pinel is really nice though, do not forget to go exploring over the hill to the other side of the island.

Check out posts # 15 through 25 on the thread (link below); information, discussion and pictures re. kayaking to Pinel...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=986385

That was the thread that had seemed most helpful. On google earth I was able to measure the distance from the mainland to Pinel and it is .54 of a mile, which would be fairly easy to do on a good weather day. I think we are going to try it and see what happens. Maybe I will come back and report how it went after the fact.

I do not think Susy understood your question.......

I do not think you could kayak there because there is nowhere to rent kayaks where the ferry runs. Another alternative is to take a taxi to orient beach and have the people who rent jet skis take you over there. They will prob charge $20 or so. The jet skis are large enough for 3 people as well. If I remember correctly, the people who rent jet skis right next to Pedro's will do it.

We spent the day there in Sept and there was a kayak renting place right there next to the ferry dock. A couple came over and we took the ferry.

No worries......See blue kayak renting kiosk in this pic.

2562222500076150085S500x500Q85.jpg

I'm standing on the ferry boat landing taking this pic.

Ok good to know, last time we went to Pinel was 10 years ago and nothing was there. We have only been to Orient on recent trips. Pinel is really nice though, do not forget to go exploring over the hill to the other side of the island.

I'm sorry but why give travel advice that's 10 years old. That doesn't make since to me.....?????

But you are giving good advice about going over to the other side of Pinel. And it took us 8 minutes with flip flops on to hike over there. People keep saying it take 20 or 30 minutes. Have another cocktail will ya.

Archived