Nickelodeon special themed cruises - are they chartered?

bananasforcruises

From what I read on this site Nickelodeon activities will be onboard all NCL Jewel and NCL Epic cruises starting May 2010. They also announced that there will be special Nick themed cruises with stars from Nick shows on the cruises, but they haven't released the dates. I read somewhere that the first special themed cruise will be on NCL Jewel sometime later this year.

Will these special themed cruises be chartered by Nickelodeon? There are so many cruises scheduled for every week during the summer months already that will they just pick one of the cruise dates and make that cruise a spwcial themed cruise? If they do that, will they cancel everyone that booked that particular date?

I'm pretty new to cruising so I don't know how a chartered cruise works. Do they cancel a cruise and then reschedule the cruise?

THANKS FOR ANY INFO.

A "chartered" cruises means that the entire ship is reserved for one specific theme/group of people. To my knowledge, if some one was pre-booked aheadof the charter, they will be refunded or offered a ship change. This is different than a "group" cruise, in which a large group of people block out cabins and lounges for their own specific theme, but other people not affiliated with this group can book the ship. (There have been quite a few posts all over CruiseCritic about this!). A few years ago, Rosie O'Donnell chartered an NCL ship for a 7-day family cruise. I heard it was sold out. A chartered ship will have much higher prices. About two years ago, RCI heavily advertised a "Dora the Explorer" theme cruise, and I understood that was also a chartered cruise. My friend called RCI about it, as her grandkids were huge Dora fans, but she said the price was so high, they didn't even consider it. I once went on a HAL ship that had a huge group of "Garfield" fans, and had no idea about this until I boarded. Orange everywhere!

I would think that if NCL is offering Nick-themed cruises, it's just characters and activities.....like Disney....and not charters. You might want to ask this question on the NCL board.

No, they won't be chartered. It's just a partnership. I posted the original thread about it here....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1121340

From everything that I've seen, there will be special guests. But they won't cancel the people that have reservations already.

When Nick chartered the Royal Caribbean ships, it was just that -- a charter, the entire ship was booked by Nickelodeon and all of the bookings were handled by Nickelodeon -- not through Royal Caribbean -- so everyone previously booked was cancelled.

That's not the same situation this time. The bookings are all being handled through NCL. It's a partnership, not a charter. :D

Archived