Tipping in the speciality restaurants

Italian Nancy

How do you handle this one.. the wine steward get 15% of your wine bill, you are paying $30.00 per person for going anyway..

We went once on the Summit and were booked for a second night, when very high seas caused us to cancel the last night, we had decided to leave $20.00 on the table..

Would this been enough..

I thought the purpose of the $30 charge was for the tipping...what goes???

When these specialty resturants started the extra fee was for tips. Then they upped the cost but still always included tips in the fee.

Last time I went I left a tip but was upset that they even asked for a tip. When you cahrge it to you cabin their is a line for tips. The staff diplomatically lets you know about the line. This is really double tipping.

I beleive that they should advertise and state a no tipping policy for these extra cost specialty resturants.

Last year when I dined at the SS United States on the Infinity, it was a gift from my husband to me and my parents, so we didn't sign anything.

Next month I am planning to pay for a party of 8 at the Olympic. If I sign it to my room, do I need to tip? And what amount? I also was under the impression that the $30 pp covered tips. Maybe I'm better off doing gifts to the Olympic for the dinner and let everyone handle their wine and tip.

Just want to do the correct thing.

Mari

some of the m class ships have specialty resturants such as the olympic on the millenium. it is a different dinniing experience and usually quite excellent and well wotrth the surchage. a reservation is required

DO NOT confuse this with alternate dining such as buffets and aqua spa which do not have a surcharge.

I really feel that one can go "overboard" with tipping. It seems everywhere you turn someone else needs a tip; someone else has their hand out. I fully comply with the tipping policy that one puts into an envelope or charges to their account.

I remember a thread that was started months ago about tipping the people that put your luggage on the ship. Someone indicated that their was a sign at the terminal that said " No Tipping". I have always tipped them. But there is a sign at the Fort Lauderdale that says " No Tipping". I saw it for the first time last November.

There must be some middle road between being cheap and going "overboard". (pun intended).

This below quote is from the Celebrity's Q & A website:

http://www.celebrity.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000E5OnlWW7AQrc5cCWozm9-CD:1028etrd4?faqSubjectName=Dining+Information&faqId=423&pagename=faq_answers

"What are the charges for the special dining options on Constellation, Millennium, Infinity and Summit?

Subject: Dining Information

There is a cover charge for dining in the specialty restaurants onboard Constellation, Millennium, Infinity, and Summit. This charge is a $30 per person charge that will be posted to your onboard signature account (This covers gratuities). Additional charges apply for wines and other beverages purchased as usual."

It states right there that the $30.00 p/p "covers gratuities".

The 'wait staff' in these specialty restaurants is 'on salary' supported from the 'cover charge' - regardless if they serve few or many, the salary is the same.

I talked with few of the waiters working in the specialty restaurant and they told me they were happy working there and their compensation was better than working in the main dining room/restaurant.

I do not see any reason to 'tip' any more than what the cruise line is 'charging' in this case. They started with $25.00 p/p now is $30.00....and if they will need more ...the cover charge will go up again.

Wes

We have dined in the Olympic on the Millennium and found the food and service to be excellent. Even though the cover charge does handle the tip per Celebrity's posting, we still chose to leave an extra amount ($20 per couple) due to the service being quite outstanding. A very special evening that we have talked about often. Can't wait to experience it again in three weeks. Will post back if a tip was initiated by staff. I have never experienced any of the staff on Celebrity suggesting a tip or lingering to get one. In fact, on our last trip, quite the opposite occurred when we offered a tip to the staff person taking us to our cabin and he refused to take it. Hope I find Celebrity to be the class act that I remember in the past. As far as tipping goes, do what you feel is right for you. If you are comfortable with the service charge including your tip, don't leave one but if you feel that maybe you should, then by all means leave a little extra. Don't fret over whatever decision you make. It's vacation, relax and enjoy.

The credit card machines for service industries are pre-programmed to include this line, it does not mean you have to leave a tip on that line, it is for the convenience of the customer. Just leave it blank or draw a line through it, don't assume they are asking for an additional gratuity.

Before you sign any credit card slip, you should read it to make sure it is correct. After owning a business for 16 years, I am astounded at how many people just do not pay any attention to what the receipt says, this includes clerks as well as customers. I have had clients sign a credit card slip for $250, when the charge should have been $25. It takes a long time and aggravation to correct it after the fact, when it could be fixed in mere moments at the time is happens, with no feelings hurt.

Back to the OP, we were told by the staff at the time of dining in the specialty restaurant that no additional tip was expected or customary.

Archived