Mazatlan "Shrimp Feast" Excursion

ChekdBob

My wife and I are on the April 24th sailing of the "O" to the Mexican Riveria (our 2nd time and also our 35 wedding anniv) and then to Victoria B.C. and are wondering if any of you out there have taken the "Shrimp Feast" trip. We both love to dine out and want to know whether it is worth the time or should we just go in town and eat as we have done in the past. Also are there any restaurants that you recommend in Victoria, Puerta Vallarta, Cabo or the other stops on this voyage.

Thanks SO MUCH for your comments!

Bob & Bev

The Shrimp Feast Excursion is great. It's at the house of a dutch lady that lives in Mazatlan now and the food, views and drinks are amazing. In fact, I took my parents on that one and they got VERY tipsy.

As for the best restaurant that I have eaten at on the Mex Riv cruise, it far and away is PePe's in PV. (pronounced Pea-peas). I heard about it from crew that eat there all the time and we asked the taxi driver to take us. It's downtown, but about 3 blocks up from the water. The margaritas are HUGE and come in every flavor imaginable. The guacamole is made fresh at your table and the food is fabulous. In fact, the two times that I have been there I have had to take leftovers back to the ship with me (which I am sure my cabin steward loved). I have recommended PePe's to friends that have sailed to PV on all different lines and they have all loved it.

My wife and I are on the April 24th sailing of the "O" to the Mexican Riveria (our 2nd time and also our 35 wedding anniv) and then to Victoria B.C. and are wondering if any of you out there have taken the "Shrimp Feast" trip. We both love to dine out and want to know whether it is worth the time or should we just go in town and eat as we have done in the past. Also are there any restaurants that you recommend in Victoria, Puerta Vallarta, Cabo or the other stops on this voyage.

Bob & Bev

Bob & Bev: have eaten at the Shrimp Shack in the Golden Zone in Mazatlan - Huge shrimp cookered numerous ways and reasonable and the ride into town in one of their little jittnies (forget what they call them) is exciting and only $10 in 2007. As for Victoria I suggest High Tea at the Empress Hotel. Hope to see you at our Meet and Greet. Gail:D

Bob & Bev

Welcome to Cruise Critic ChekBob, there are some wonderful restaurants in Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo. We like the Shrimp Factory in Mazatlan which is in the golden zone. In Puerta Vallarta it is La Dolce Vita, with superb Italian food, wonderful calamari and the best Margaritas in town. Then you again have the Shrimp Factory and also Cabo Wabo in Cabo.

Please come over to our roll call for this cruise, join in and meet your ship mates. Link below.....

April 24, 2010 Sea of Cortez - Page 4 - Cruise Critic Message Boards

[quote=ChekdBob;23249883]My wife and I are on the April 24th sailing of the "O" to the Mexican Riveria (our 2nd time and also our 35 wedding anniv) and then to Victoria B.C. and are wondering if any of you out there have taken the "Shrimp Feast" trip. We both love to dine out and want to know whether it is worth the time or should we just go in town and eat as we have done in the past. Also are there any restaurants that you recommend in Victoria, Puerta Vallarta, Cabo or the other stops on this voyage.

In Victoria, if you are planning to visit the Empress Hotel, skip the overpriced and mediocre Tea and head into the Bengal Lounge. They have a terrific curry buffet, a real feeling of the British influence! Locals go to "The White Heather" for afternoon tea ( it's in Oak Bay on Oak Bay Avenue - a short taxi ride from downtown, but worth the ride. While the venue is not grand, the tea, sandwiches and pastries are real and delicious! and not nearly as expensive either:p The best fish and chips are to be found on a dock in the Inner Harbour called Red Fish, Blue Fish (foot of Fort Street)- it's a funky converted shipping container and you can't beat the food! Hope this helps:D

Welcome to Cruise Critic ChekBob, there are some wonderful restaurants in Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo. We like the Shrimp Factory in Mazatlan which is in the golden zone. In Puerta Vallarta it is La Dolce Vita, with superb Italian food, wonderful calamari and the best Margaritas in town. Then you again have the Shrimp Factory and also Cabo Wabo in Cabo.

Please come over to our roll call for this cruise, join in and meet your ship mates. Link below.....

April 24, 2010 Sea of Cortez - Page 4 - Cruise Critic Message Boards

Bob & Bev: Suffering from CRAFT disease, I stand corrected. Melodie is correct - it's the Shrimp Factory in Mazatlan that I've eaten at. Suggest you check the website for the Fairmont Empress Hotel in Victoria. The Bengal Lounge is only open for lunch from 12 to 2. Gail;)

• 3 weeks later...

Bob & Bev

When planning a Mexican Riviera trip in 2008 I came across the "Shrimp Feast in Mazatlan at the Villa de la Cruz" shore excursion among our Crystal Cruises offerings. We love shrimp and it sounded tasty, but I wanted more information. I learned that the excursion was not unique to Crystal (though Crystal charged more for the same thing), and that Holland America and other cruise lines offer it, too. Scouring the web then I saw a lot of pictures that put me off the tour. It's not held at an elegant resort or restaurant or beach retreat. It's at an ordinary house with a view over rooftops back to the ships in port. Plastic chairs, etc. Not attractive to me.

In my opinion, it didn't look like anything special, and since that time I have found a brief video that shows the excursion which may help you decide.

Here it is:

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/zma28.html

In Victoria, we looked around at the Empress Hotel, it has some lovely shops; one had very large jade sculptures in it that were worth seeing. We then had tea at Murchie's, a cafe type place on Government Street. You order a la carte. The scones were delicious. The price of everything was much less expensive than the tea at the Empress, which last summer was $55.00 Canadian per person. However the tea at the Empress does include sandwiches, scones, and dessert pastries, all the food is included in the fixed price.

Archived