Royal Connect (formerly WOW Phone) demonstration on YouTube

MickeyB426

I took a video the other day while I was on the ship. It shows the Royal Connect phone and how it's used. Please forgive some of the blurriness within the phone's screen.

I hope it gives people an idea what the phone is all about.

Hey Mickey! Where did you go to get your Royal Connect Phone? Can you get them from the Concierge Lounge?

Hey Mickey! Where did you go to get your Royal Connect Phone? Can you get them from the Concierge Lounge?

In the other thread I posted the Royal Connect brochure. It does say you can rent it in the Concierge Lounge, but I'd advise against it, as they might be sold out by the time it opens. Check the other threads for that info.

In the other thread I posted the Royal Connect brochure. It does say you can rent it in the Concierge Lounge, but I'd advise against it, as they might be sold out by the time it opens. Check the other threads for that info.

Thanks! :)

We also used these phones last week .They where great ,We do think they can and will get better .We spooke to royale connect rep phone should link to your accounts and reservations in future

You're correct, for sure. That will be the logical next step, as soon as all the bugs are worked out.

A few minor bugs - the Day 4 Compass never appeared (it stayed on Day 3 for two days), the Locator time always seemed an hour off of the real time. Nothing major.

I'm also guessing that more apps will be available

The only thing I see still being a hassle are the configuration of each phone. No matter how easy it is to reserve a phone, that needs to be done by hand by someone. And it can't get done until the previous week's users are finished with them.

OK, I have a question on the location aplication.

How does this work? Does it locate the other phones? or for kids does it work off of where the kids are signed in? or off of a locator worn my the child?

Thanks

It locates the other phones, or, if your child has a locator tag, it locates the tag.

Mike, thank you for the demo on the Royal Connect phone. Awsome. Love that guest locater feature! We will have to make sure we get us some when we board.

I took a video the other day while I was on the ship. It shows the Royal Connect phone and how it's used. Please forgive some of the blurriness within the phone's screen.

I hope it gives people an idea what the phone is all about.

I read in the USA today BEFORE the ship launched in December that each of the children in the children's program have programmed chips in their bracelets already, so you can find them on the GPS on the phones. Is this true?- Would we not have to pay the $10 for the bracelets for our two children in the kids program or was this just a misunderstanding?

Thank you for the video review.

My wife and I are considering the Oasis for our first RCCL cruise. This would be a cool way to keep in touch and find each other.

Value wise, do you think it's worth $20/week per person? Seems reasonable.

Absolutely. I ended up using the Cruise Compass feature more than I thought, which meant I didn't have to worry about carrying one around with me.

We were on the Feb 13th sailing and I have two sons 7 and 9. They were issued wrist bands when we boarded, but they were just the plastic ones whith their muster station on them, no chip. We then got two cruise connect phones, one for my husband and I and on for my dad. We also got 3 of the tracking devices, one for each kid and one for my mom. The people at the sign up thought it was pretty funny that we wanted one for my mom, but it was great. She is not into technolgy, so did not want a phone and she tends to want to do her own thing. She just kept it in her bag and we were not walking all over the ship looking for her. The tracking devices are kind of big and clunky to wear so with the boys we just snapped the wrist band around one of the belt loops of their shorts and stuck it in their pockets. They are still young so they did not have free roam of the ship but we were able to let them do a few things by themselves but most of all it was helpful whne my husband and I seperated. The one without the kids would take the phone and that person could now track the one with the kids. My kids did the adventure ocean for a couple of hours most days and they did not issue any kind of wrist band but they did take down our cruise connect phone number in case they needed to contact us.

Thank you for the video review.

My wife and I are considering the Oasis for our first RCCL cruise. This would be a cool way to keep in touch and find each other.

I think they are completely worth the money, especially if you have a large group. We were a group of 16 with 5 phones and 3 tracking devices between us and they were life savers would would never have been able to find one another. One of the families with us were unable to get a phone because they had sold out but they were able to use their room phone or one of the house phones to call us. About halfway thtough the cruise I ended up giving them one of my kids tracking devices (my 2 kids were always together anyway) and now we were able to find them.

If it is just you and your wife on the cruise and you tend to stay together then it might not be necessary. But if you are with other people or you like to each do your own thing, it is so worth it.

We were on the Feb 13th sailing and I have two sons 7 and 9. They were issued wrist bands when we boarded, but they were just the plastic ones whith their muster station on them, no chip. We then got two cruise connect phones, one for my husband and I and on for my dad. We also got 3 of the tracking devices, one for each kid and one for my mom. The people at the sign up thought it was pretty funny that we wanted one for my mom, but it was great. She is not into technolgy, so did not want a phone and she tends to want to do her own thing. She just kept it in her bag and we were not walking all over the ship looking for her. The tracking devices are kind of big and clunky to wear so with the boys we just snapped the wrist band around one of the belt loops of their shorts and stuck it in their pockets. They are still young so they did not have free roam of the ship but we were able to let them do a few things by themselves but most of all it was helpful whne my husband and I seperated. The one without the kids would take the phone and that person could now track the one with the kids. My kids did the adventure ocean for a couple of hours most days and they did not issue any kind of wrist band but they did take down our cruise connect phone number in case they needed to contact us.

Thank you so much for the information on the bracelets. We will end up buying 3 bracelets then and a phone. My 13 year old doesn't want to wear one, so now I can tell him to just tie it to his belt or stick it in his pocket and no one will know we are keeping tabs on him. He is talking on facebook with the other kids that are cruising with us on April 10, and they have already picked a place to meet.

ONLY 37 more days to go!!

• 5 months later...

Archived