Best place to buy snorkeling gear?????????

Littlegoo75

Hi everyone!

I would like to buy our own snorkeling equipment before we depart for our cruise. Any ideas of the best place to find it? Can you usually find the basics at any major sporting goods store? I just don't like the idea of using the rental stuff because who knows if they clean it, and who used it before. Yuck.

We are in the Northern Virginia area (Woodbridge). There is a sporting goods store ( The Sports Authority) at Potomac Mills, I haven't checked there yet.

Also, how much does this kind of stuff run more or less? I don't need anything fancy, just the normal stuff that they usually rent out.

Thanks for all the help!

Costco or Sam's Club have reasonably priced sets -- $30 to $40. They're the "dry snorkel" type, which are much better than what you get otherwise with your excursion or the cheapies you can buy from Carnival.

Hi everyone!

I would like to buy our own snorkeling equipment before we depart for our cruise. Any ideas of the best place to find it? Can you usually find the basics at any major sporting goods store? I just don't like the idea of using the rental stuff because who knows if they clean it, and who used it before. Yuck.

We are in the Northern Virginia area (Woodbridge). There is a sporting goods store ( The Sports Authority) at Potomac Mills, I haven't checked there yet.

Also, how much does this kind of stuff run more or less? I don't need anything fancy, just the normal stuff that they usually rent out.

Thanks for all the help!

We are new to Woodbridge! I got our snorkeling equipment at Costco (Newington) but I not sure that they have any this time of year. It's the "dry" snorkel type, it closes when you go under the water so you don't have to "clear" the tube. I just can't deal with an open tube snorkel. I think the snorkel and fins were about 40.00

good luck and enjoy your cruise!!!

Any Dick's Sporting Goods or Sports Authority. If you go to a Dive Shop, you are going to spend big $$. If you plan on using the equipment at times other than cruising then I would spend the extra money at dive shop. If you are only going to use it once a year, then just go to a sporting goods store.

I agree 110% with basketballmom. Dive shops have some very good stuff...and that is what I use, but it IS expensive. If you are a very occasional user, other places mentioned earlier in this thread have some good stuff that will be more than sufficient. If you go to a dive shop, be advised their sales people are usually pretty aggressive, so be prepared...and don't let them sell you a cadilac when a cavalier will do.

Costco will start putting out their spring/summer stuff very soon including mask/snorkel sets and mask/snorkel/fins sets. They also will have life jackets for boating and such.

The ones I picked up were silicone with tempered glass (as good as you need for snorkeling) along with the dry snorkel. They had blue and yellow sets and were made by US Diver.

My father used to scuba pretty seriously when I was younger and compared to the equipment he had in the late 70's/early 80's, it is equal to or better than the old rubber compounds that would dry rot over time. I always remember him having US Diver equipment so I know this brand is at least decent.

I bought two sets at Sports Authority about 4 years ago. Then I believe I paid $30 or $40 for each set. The sets are made by Body Glove (mask, snorkel & fins in mesh bags) and over the years I've gotten more than my moneys worth out of them. I bought them off-season, around this time of year I think, and even got them on sale. Good Luck.

My wife and I bought the "dry snorkels" at a dive shop. She also got a mask there, as she had problems with the fit with "mass market / off the shelf" stuff - she was able to try on LOTS of different styles, till the perfect one was found.

I am nearsighted, and do not wear (tolerate) contacts. I have always had problems with being able to truly see WELL underwater... until... (and this is NOT a pitch for the company - just a "testimonial"..lol) I found the HydroOptix mask... talk about clarity and field of vision... WOW :

http://www.hydrooptix.com/allmega.htm

Tom

Hey, Thanks everyone! Sounds great. My husband actually goes to the Costco in Newington, hopefully they will have them there before soon! We leave Feb. 5th!

I don't need the top of the line stuff, just something that will hold up, and not have germs from other people.

I am planning to take a snorkel excursion with my kids on our cruise this April. We are just going out 1 day and I was planning to use the equipment that they supply. I can't see spending all kinds of money to buy equipment when we will only use them once and I am not even sure when we will be able to snorkel again in the future. Do I really have to be concerned with germs on the rental gear? :eek: Can I use mouthwash or some other anticseptic to clean the tube before we use it?

Thanks,

Tony.

I just bought 2 sets of snorkeling gear at snorkeldirect.com and I love it!! If you need prescription masks, they have a very reasonably priced one. I bought nice things, because I figure we're going to use them our whole lives, and they fit great. Just thought I'd let everyone know!

I am planning to take a snorkel excursion with my kids on our cruise this April. We are just going out 1 day and I was planning to use the equipment that they supply. I can't see spending all kinds of money to buy equipment when we will only use them once and I am not even sure when we will be able to snorkel again in the future. Do I really have to be concerned with germs on the rental gear? :eek: Can I use mouthwash or some other anticseptic to clean the tube before we use it?

Thanks,

Tony.

Some people who worry about germs on rental gear just buy the snorkel. You can pick them up for about $5. Easy to pack, no worries. Of course, you can try some antisceptic.

Thanks,

Tony.

Sorry......having trouble posting again...FATAL ERROR mesage.

I agreee. A dive shop will have a large selection, and will help with fit. A good mask/fin/snorkle will last a lifetime. Fit is VERY important. Leaks can be annoying as well as potentially dangerous. Most dive shops even have a pool that you can try before you buy. Some even offer lessons.

Press the mask to your face and inhale slightly through your nose. The mask should stick to your face without the strap. If it pops off, or you have to inhale briskly, you have a poor fit. Make sure your fingers can pinch your nose to equilize ear pressure if you want to dive. Check the feild of view. It is much more enjoyable to just move your eyes rather than turn your head. Put the strap on and check comfort. My first mask pressed against the bridge of my nose ever so slightly, but after a couple of hours of diving became PAINFUL. Snorkles have mouthpeices that may be uncomfortable and can cause tension if you have to bite down hard to keep in your mouth. Dive shops can help with this.

Masks come with all different prices. Price has no bering on quality i.e. expensive is not better. Fit is everything.

FYI - I was at my local Costco on Monday night and guess what they had out???

Snorkel gear was there in sets including mask, snorkel and fins. They had different sizes and they came in blue or yellow. They were made by US Diver.

In the store by me, they were at the end of the automotive aisle along the wall with backpacks and coolers and such. The middle was filled with furniture.

Archived