Which location to stay in Paris?

swdke

Hi Steve,

I've been in the lobby of the hotel and it was very lovely and pretty. It's very close to the Luxembourg Gardens. There are many centuries old cobblestone streets around the hotel. I walked in there to ask about a nearby restaurant that I was having trouble finding and the gentleman at the front desk was helpful and charming.........ok, so most french men are charming to women. Hmmm.... maybe that's why I like Paris so much? :-)

Jane

Jane,

I have been lurking, too, but could you please answer a question for me? We are planning to stay in Paris for four nights in September. Are there any non-smoking hotels? I have chronic asthma and sensitivity to cigarette smoke. Will I be miserable in restaurants or on the street?

I'm not a smoker, however, having smokers around is not a problem for me so I can't answer your question about non-smoking hotels since I've never asked. My GUESS is that there probably aren't any non-smoking hotels in the small and charming hotel variety that I usually stay in. Generally, they simply usually have too few rooms to make that distinction - most of the hotels we've been talking about here have between 8 and 30 rooms.

For your problem, my suggestion would be to stay in one of the big chain hotels that might devote some rooms or even a whole floor to non-smoking. Ask about the Inter-Continental Hotels, they have 2 in Paris, one by the Opera and one right by the Louvre. Perhaps the Luteticia, located in the 6th, near the Luxembourg Gardens has some non-smoking rooms?

For restaurants, you're going to have problems. One of my favorite restaurants, Allard, (in the 6th) has two rooms, and they've devoted one to smokers and one to non-smokers, so that's a place you'll definitely want to try. Most Parisian restaurants are very small, so it would be impossible to create non-smoking sections. Hopefully, since it's still warm in Sept, you'll be able to eat outdoors which should make things easier for you. La Gare (in the 16th) has a big outdoor garden in the back. Le Christine (in the 6th) also has an outdoor garden for dining.

Hope this helps.

Jane

Jane,

I just happened upon this thread, too late I think. My DH and I are going to Paris for 4 nights at the end of AUgust. We are already booked at the Intercontinental ( not the Le Grand) We chose this hotel because we were told it is a great location, great hotel, and that we can walk to many attractions. After reading this thread, I am wondering if we got some bad advise?

I am doing a search for 2** hotels in Saint Germain area. Can you recommend any? It seems that a lot of the hotels (even the 3***) don't have air conditioning. Have you been there during the first week of September, and if so, do you think we will be comfortable with just a fan? If anyone else has an opinion or recommendation, please feel free to express them.

txchinachic,

Check out Hotel de Lille at 40 rue de Lille. It's nothing fancy but a great location and reasonable rates - A/C too. If you are like me, and your Paris hotel is just for sleeping, then this is a very good choice. Location, location, and location. The rooms are clean, but VERY unexciting. But one block from the Seine, now that's exciting! Bon Voyage.

One more opinion for those going to Paris- I think the most romantic spot in the city is the isle de la cite- a tiny island directly behind Notre Dame. It is one of the oldest, most unchanged parts of the city, and walking around there, you could be in the Paris of 300 years ago. It is also smack in the middle of town, an easy stroll to both the St German de Pres and Marais neighborhoods. There are several hotels on the island, and you can rent apartments in the former homes of the rich and famous of French history. Just do a google search.

• 3 months later...

Okay, I have a question that I am being asked to post by the women traveling with me. They want to know what clothes they should bring, everything from top down to shoes. I think they understand that the weather can be sunny, cloudy, warm, cool, rainy, or dry, and to pack accordingly. However, we'll be in Paris in early August, and I think more likely it will be hot. I think they're more interested in the style of women's clothing. They want to be comfortable, but want to fit in with what what everyone else is wearing too.

Thanks for helping and sharing your thoughts. :-)

Okay, I have a question that I am being asked to post by the women traveling with me. They want to know what clothes they should bring, everything from top down to shoes. I think they understand that the weather can be sunny, cloudy, warm, cool, rainy, or dry, and to pack accordingly. However, we'll be in Paris in early August, and I think more likely it will be hot. I think they're more interested in the style of women's clothing. They want to be comfortable, but want to fit in with what what everyone else is wearing too.

I just got back from Paris last week.

Scarfs, scarfs, and more scarfs. Hung loosely around the shoulders, double knotted about the neck, draped like a shawl, tied around the waist. I saw scarfs in ALL colors. I bought 2 while there so I could feel Parisian.

Pointy shoes! Buy a pair while you are there . . . they are SO COMFY! It's like they break-in shoes before they sell them. I bought so many shoes while I was there because they feel so nice on the feet compared to any type of shoe I've purchased over here in the US.

Women do wear jeans over there . . . the dark blasted type. They DON'T wear American style sneakers. They wear sneakers that have thin soles and are darkly colored. You won't see a Parisian (or a Euoropean) wearing white sneakers unless they bought them in the US or Britain. My husband wanted a pair of Parisian sneakers (the type you wear with thin black socks) so we stopped in a shop on St Germain BLVD. He tried on a pair and made a comment to the girl who assisted us that the shoes were SO different from his white Nikes. She pointed to the new shoes and said, "Those are more beautiful." He bought them.

Definitely pack some black items, or just some solid neutral clothes. It's hard to dress like a European, because they look different no matter what. It's so easy to pick out Americans or non-Europeans. You'll find that out . . . no matter how hard I tried to blend in, I still was greeted with 'Hello, Table for 2?' Hmmm, how'd he know I spoke English?

Leighuf,

I'm so used to wearing scarves here at home that I forgot to mention them to Swdke. Yes, Paris is the city to wear a scarf in.

Your other points are right on about the dark fashionable sneakers and the jeans. I guess I'm so used to those looks here in NYC, that they don't necessarily stick out as Parisian, but you are absolulely right.

I'm always assumed to be a local and it's so funny to have americans always coming up to me and asking me in "broken" french, for directions. Fortunately, I know my way around Paris really well so I'm able to give directions....and in english! :)

Txchinachic - are you still looking for 2 star hotels in the 6th? If so, I recommend the Hotel Bonaparte on rue Bonaparte.

A bientot!

Jane

Steve/swdke,

I answered your post earlier, but for some reason, it didn't register. Leighuf gave you some good insights for your lady friends and I'll add a few.

It will probably be hot there in August and Parisians don't over aircondition their restaurants like americans do, so tank tops will be a good thing to wear. Jeans will probably be too hot, so linen or cotton pants or skirts would be great. You won't see locals wearing shorts in the streets of Paris - shorts are generally only worn by american and german tourists. The germans are the ones with the brown socks and americans in the white socks group.

My favorite tee-shirts are from France and the brand is Petit Bateau. They have their own stores (about 7 in Paris) and they are sold in Galeries Lafayette as well. They are also sold here in the US at double the price in Sak's, Neimans as well as in their boutique here in NY. Typical prices for a short sleeved tee in the US is about $35. while in Paris, they're about $15. so it's a wonderful present to bring home. They are the most famous tee shirts in France and all the girls (and children) wear them.

Paris is a walking city, so comfortable shoes are a must for day. Cute flat shoes or sandals are a best choice. Kitten heels for evening are perfect.

Carry a small folding umbrella with you.

Leighuf, I also tend to buy a few pairs of shoes when I'm in Paris. Yes, you're right, it's easy getting quality, comfortable and sexy shoes there.

I hope you had a wonderful time there!

Jane

Archived